1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my 400e arrived today yeehaa

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by WIRY, Jul 31, 2003.

1. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

My Hitachi 400e is finnaly here and half set up, Im well pleased sofar with what the plasmas chucking out, I`ve got the oldest scart to compoisote lead in the world, that I found at the bottom of my wire draw, hooked up to sky, and the PQ is lovley, I cant imagine what it will look like with the expensive cables that I orderd last night, as its fine the way it is, obversly dvd is alot clearer, and that was only through s-video on a copied disk
    so there`s plenty of room for improvement, but i must say if there were`nt i`d still be well happy

If any of you reading this are still doing them late nights reviewing and long walks eyeball testing, here`s what my buying experience was like

I found that no matter where I went the sky setups in the shops were allways crap, I think it must be the cable length they use, as a mate of mine runs a 60 ft cable to his 36 inch crt and on that the PQ is crap, so my advice is dont worry about the sky you see
    but do remeber, that your home might have a week signal of sky, or some interference etc that might cause you some worries, my sky signal quallty is allway 75% in good weather.

Ater you`ve rung round everywhere to see who`s got what on display, take a dvd with you, and pick a light sceen and a dark sceen and watch them a few times on your CRT before you leave the house, and then try that sceen on the differnet plasmas you have hot listed.

I found the PIO HDE prformed worse in my hotlist, and I found the panny 5 and the Hitachi`s neck and neck, a note on the PIO`S tho, they proberly are the rolls royce of plasmas, but the one I saw just need to be set up properly, other fourm members are more than happy with them, same goes for the pannys and the hitachis, I really beleve there is not alot init between these three great makes.

I picked the hitachi 400e because it was the cheepest HDTV so that I can play HDTV with a player that i`ve just orderd from the states, I saved 750 on the panny6 and 1000 on the pio, im going to buy a nice laptop with my saved money:)

the panny 5 is also 2500 inc vat at the min:) and its a great PQ
    no sign of flicker for me (no more than my pc monitor or my old crt)

Anther note for people worried about splasing out all that doe and being dissapointed (steve36)
    Richersound who I got my plasma from said that if i dont get on with it I.E find the fan to noisey, cant get a good sky pic, dead pixels etc I can bring it back within a week a change it or get a full refund, if im not happy-- thats the sort of policy i like when handing over all that money, ( its like buying a car but only being able to start her up and sit in it) buying one of these things

they also do price beat, so any one who`s thinking of panny 5 can tell richersounds that RGB have got thers for 2500 incl vat at he min

I picked my plasma up myself and saved a further 100quid, and built my own stand saving 180 ish

I would like to thank the forum for its great and some tmes conflicting advice, and a big thx goes out to (Steve36 / JH4 / Montana and Jeff ( sorry Jeff could`nt remember your call sign
    for helping me with this difficult/exciting process!!!

cheers all
    wiry

P.S I`ve finally joined the ranks:)

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Get back to watching it - this instant !
    Regards

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the plasma club

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    enjoy remember to post pics in the thread:) :)

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,897
    Im so jealous,wish i could make my mind up which plasma to get.

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    You should know by now !!
    Let's all get some sleep - it's late...

7. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    :hiya:

I also think the Hitachi 42 pma400e is very good vaule for money :cool:

Welcome come to the plasma world :smashin:

dvd

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well done.

I would also suggest taking out the £250 extended warranty from richer. It's at least 1/2 the price of any other companies warranty. (not that they actually appear to go wrong that often).

I suspect that Richer sounds are one of the few to give an unconditional guarantee. I asked in Harrods last year and they would not accept a plasma back without a confirmed fault.
    I was actually just about to purchase after 2 years of careful consideration when I re-read the forums and like you decided I needed HDTV compatibility. (don't quite know what for though !).
    So I'm now waiting for the probably overpriced panasonic 'HD' display to compare against the standard one later in the year, Hopefully this year.

Enjoy your viewing, and don't forget not to have it too bright or any static images for at least the first 100 hours.

Steve

9. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx guys for your welcome messages

yes Steve i did nearly take the richersounds insurance policy out what nearly sold me on it is if you dont use it atall during your three years you get your money back, but i`ve stuck mine on the house insurance now, and if it goes woung after the first year i might have to let it fall over if you know what i mean :)lol

one of the reasons i got HDTV was because of the JVC HDTV player that I`ve orderd from the states, to watch D-VHS tapes these store 75GB of info on them so you can imagine what the film will look like compared to dvd`s 9GB, also they can be used for taping HDTV when it come`s out here next year (possibly) it still depends on if the europeans use the same Hz as the US and not the AUZies, I`ll post full reports about the player when it arrives, but if you are intrested to know more about it here is a uk forum http://www.ng03.co.uk

take it easy guys

later
    wiry:smoke:

10. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Wiry,
    One small point, I did check about the richersounds policy and I was told that the money back if not used does not apply to the plasma policy.
    Apart from that it's a good deal, people have had reason to take things back after 2.5 years and had new model in replacement.
    I look forwards to the HDTV review, I'll probably have given up waiting and bought the standard res screen anyway !

It is the best value screen I've come across.

Steve.

11. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349

does it come with tuner box and everything in richer sounds, as ive seen that on there webby and the price seems to good to be true

cheers
    jason

12. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No no tuner box comes with it, but i dont see this as a neg, the tuner box on the Hitachi 3000 stops you playing HDTV, it comes with a video card, with component, s-video,copisote, but it dose have two RGB vga ports which you can use Scart to VGA lead, so really thats like having two scart ports, there is no stand that comes with it, but nether with the pannys or the pio`s so your not missing out there, I built my own stand and will give you any advice you need.

Hope this helps

regards

13. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression you cant use the rbg vga ports for video signals due to the screen not accepting the apropriate htz signal.

14. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only just recieved my plasma and am not 100 % sure if they can be used for RGB scart to RGB vga, they may need a 50 quid converter, I will know for sure tomorrow, when i recieve the cable, and will post my reports:)

cheers all

Its just that people I know are using the RGB slot for there JS scart to component converter I.E last leg component to vga 15 pin
    dose the JS make it possable im not sure, hope not or thats more forlking out todo :)

The VGA ports do say RGB not RGBHV if that helps clear it up
    certainly makes no sense to me :)

15. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'd like more details on your stand and what it looks like please,plus how much it cost you.

16. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yo m8

Building a stand for you plasma all depends on what plasma you get as the holes the plasma have underneath have different sizes
    and are differnet lenghs apart, so I waited intill i got it home first then built it, i had quite a few ideas in mind, but whent with something i did`nt consider to start with, remember that plasmas use there own weight to stay in place, they dont bolt onto anythng they slot down onto two poles, and aslong as the stand is evenly weighted the force of the plasma pushing down holds it there. (in my plasma manual it suggests using metal wire to connect the back of the plasama to the wall behind it anyway
    as a anti nipper device i guess) tho i din`nt need to use it

I will post you a pic of my stand before the weekend, my old dear has taken the digi camera on holiday!

but here`s a quick explaination

I used my old 32" CRT cabnet which is the ones you see with the smoked class doors on the front, its the size that you could hold 4 video recorders in (if you wanted), i then drilled two square holes in the top of the cabnit, and two holes in the bottom, then inserted two square hollow aluminum poles into the two holes, right down to the floor, obviously covering the two ends with plastic square plugs (no sharp bits), as you can imagine these poles are not going anywhere but up or down bcoz of the two holes top and bottom, and then i sloted my plasma onto these two poles and va`la

the cost was the two metal poles 2 quid:)

any piece of furniture can be used for this aslong as its a little sturdie, an old tv cabnet is perfect, buy one secound hand or what ever.

if you wanted a feet like stand, then you would proberly stand it on a cabnet anyway to hold all your gear in

but if you really wanted one then you could make the feet out of wood (painted black wood b best:) and bolt & slot the two poles
    into the feet, the feet can be separate, which would make your life easyer making it,I.e no accurate lineing up todo:)

my plasma is a 400e so the poles are square, as for the pannys they are round, with the same principles apply (almost)

ask away if you need to
    hope this helps

best regards and good luck

P.S The US AV fourm has a thread onit with pics of homemade stands, (Just run a search) it has a good one of thouse feet i mentioned, and i cant take the credit for the separate feet idea, thats down to one of our allies across the pond (must have UK blood in him lol)

PP.S The poles i used are similar to green house poles

17. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    What a brillantly simple idea!

How wide apart/thick are your feet,Plasma feet that is ;) and where did you get them from?

I was thinking of the same said Hitachi,it's cheaper and better,that's why I'm trying to find out about stands.

I'll do that search.

I've built myself a whole cabinet out of black Contiboard,pic below,hopefully,or see my website.

18. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    My cabinet.

A 42in Plasma fits on easily.

Attached Files:

19. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yo Mate

Like your cabinet mate, That would do perfectly the two poles are exactly 15 inches apart from center to center, the poles themselfs are excatly 1 inch square. (Hollow) shold be able to be picked up from a iron mongers or if you have no luck I could send you a sample as I have a shed load spare, or if you only need a foot of it (for the feet idea) I could send you some if you like :)

I did`nt use the feet idea you mentioned, but that is a viable option with a little ingenuity, but if you dont mind drilling holes in that cool cabinet of yours then you will make life easyer for yourself, but then I dont need to tell you that from what i`ve seen:)

best regards

I`ll post my pic on thursday for ya:)

20. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Don't know if this is the one Wiry is referring to but as a replacement for the standard stand it's a great idea.

Cheers, Carl.

21. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you see the Pics mentioned by cwick, the one where it shows the stand in pieces before being built, u see the bolts the guy used, the one i saw from over there had just one of them bolts, bolted onto a 4 inch wide by 10 inch long by 1 and half inch thick piece of wood
    ovbersly the bolt head has to be sunken into the wood, and that was it
    simple as that, build two of them and bobs your uncle-- but the stand you found cwick was proberly cooler looking, just more expensive, but well done for adding it here because the more people see these custom stands the easier it becomes to build yourself:)

good luck all

regards

22. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi WIRY.

Thanks for the offer btw :) .

How far into the Plasma screen do your poles go?

I don't mind making holes in mine,I can plug them up later if need be ;) .

23. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mate

they proberly go in about 4 inchs or so, i cant quite remember as this was not a major concern for me, but i do see where your coming from, if you want a center speaker underneath it to fit perfectly, but also the metal i brought was so light you could soon saw through in no time to make them final adjustments

good luck dude

regards

24. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I don't need a space underneath for a centre speaker,mine is in my cabinet underneath the TV,see pic ;) ,I'm just thinking things through.

I don't like the pic with the centre speaker under the Plasma.

I want to try and fit mine flush,as if the Plasma is just sitting on top of my cabinet,I think that would look neat,patent pending :) .

25. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its roughly 4 inchs, but if you want it real flush wait till you get it home then get your hack saw out:)

i wanted to leave 4 inchs (altho theres more) between the bottom of my plasma and the unit because Hitachi said this is best for airflow and keeps the fan noise down, also it dosent invalidate your warranty (must have 4 inchs allround), incase you have to call them round one day, not that im that worried about there poxy warranty, now i`ve got the plasma on the house insurance, if it ever breaks down, i`ll just push it over and get a brand new one:)

anyway may your stand stand for an eternity

best regards

26. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It's got a fan,I didn't realise the 42PMA400 had a fan?

27. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they have a fan, is it noisy, well no not really, not since i put it on my stand i dont notice it anymore, the first day when i had it lent up against the wall, it must have got hot because of the airflow was restricted, and it made quite a noise, noway near as loud as a PC or ps2 i might add, but yes it could be heard if you muted the telly and listend for it, i dont hear it anymore since the airflow is better, and maybe the fan needed running in abit

if you read the forum you will see people complaining of a annoying hum on fanless!!! models, just like any piece of equipmet that big, so i dont think having a fan really matters, the guy at the richersounds shop said the plasmas with the fan last longer because of keeping the screen cooler etc

with the sound turned on you will never hear it, i was quite prepared to install a silent fan init if it botherd me, or rig up a water cooling system as soon to be used in my PC, but now i dont think ether is nesscery.

anote hear on richersounds policy (no i dont work for them) they said if i dont get on with the plasma for any reason I.E the fan noise is annoying or my PQ on sky is irratating, i can bring it back and change it for another model like a panny or get a full refund

but im well happy with it, and the fan is nether here nor there considering the complaints of people using the 3000 for instance and the pannys which are fanless are saying they here a low hum anyway have a read or do a search on the forum

one guy i know put a towel over the back of his 400e to dull the sound, but his was the earler model, which had two fans thankfully the new one just has one.

people who put there plasma on the wall seem to find the fan worse than the standalone units

well cant really say anymoe on the subject, except for if your that worried deal with the likes of richer sounds or JL and you will have piece of mind, you will be able to take it back for a refund etc

laters mate

28. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    :hiya:

i have no problem with the fan noise,i only hear it if i listen out for it :cool:

dvd

29. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Good news on the fan noise.

The new Sony's have them as well.

Richer Souds told me they only do exchanges for another similar or higher priced item,not refunds.Mind you that was on a cheap CD player.Is it different on Plasma's then,or was the guy wrong?

30. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just going by what three differnet staff told me , yes they said bring it back no worries, i guess it is bcoz its such a dear item, and you cant test it out properly till you get home etc

happy hunting

regards