My 3DS XL Cameras are not lined up

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Jon Weaver, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +759
    I am spinning this off in a separate thread, as I want to get some data for Nintendo, if there are more than one examples of this...

I got my 3DS XL today and am very happy.. But when I checked the Camera, I realised something was very wrong.

After a few seconds looking through it, my eyes felt really strained and I couldn't get a decent 3D effect.. After a few mins it became clear what the problem was.. The cameras are not aligned (Vertically) so one image is higher than the other. This means that when viewing a real time 3D image, my eyes are straining, trying to align the images.. As a result, the 3D simply doesn't work, and its feels horrible.

I called Nintendo to discuss this, and I don't think they believed what I was saying, and tried to convince me that "it was how 3D works".. But I think I convinced them that its a problem in the end.

I am in NO doubt that if my unit was used as a camera, it would cause eye injury.. no doubt at all.. Even after a few seconds its made my eyes feel very uncomfortable.. I told them that if this problem was present on 0.01% of machines, thats still thousands of units out there which could be a Health and Safety issue.. As such, i hoped that they might want to see mine for themselves, but they wern't really interested.

Anyone fancy doing a test on theirs.... Do this

1. Go into Camera
    2. Line up the screen with somethign horizontal
    3. Alternately wink between your left and right eye

Is the image in each eye the same HEIGHT?

The more people who are able to test this, should give an insight as to whether this is a big/common problem or not.. So I look forwards to your feedback.

Jon

2. vinvader

vinvader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Couldn't you transfer the photo to your PC and look at the two images side by side?

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I am going to do just that, now I am home from work.. But I am 100% sure mine is wrong.. THe purpose of this thread was to find out if I am alone.

Jon

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Here is a test.. It clearly not right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  5. vinvader

vinvader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    That doesn't look right at all. I'm not at home so can't post a picture to compare, can anyone else?

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I am hoping that someone comes along soon and confirms it either way.. Mine is horrible.. Whilst taking those photos, it was actually making me want to puke, as the effect of one imagine being out of line from the other is really disorientating...

Incase there are any naysayers out there, wanting to see that its normal, this is a similar picture taken with my old 3DS..

The difference is obvious and through the 3DS it looks "3D" (As it should) with no obvious affect on my eyes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Panic over.. Problem solved. Under settings there is "Camera Setup".. Here you can move the images around.. Mine was set to -27.. I followed the instructions and started to shift the image, and guess what.. When it was right, it went to 0.

So for some reason, it was MASSIVLY offset.. Panic over.. Mine is working fine now.. And since you can adjust the 2 cameras down to the nth degree, this is not going to be a problem for anyone.

Sorry for making a fuss.. Hope that this helps someone

Jon

8. vinvader

vinvader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Thats great news, saves you all the grief of getting a replacement. :thumbsup: