My 360 Noise is out of hand !

geowars2

i have a 360 - dated 17-02-06 and its very loud

my brothers 360 is no where near as loud

for instance my fans are louder than his, and i have the hitachi drive which is louder than his samsung.

the thing is my hitachi drive is even louder than any other :eek: When i lie my 360 down the whole 360 seems to rattle and there is a low pitched sound which causes the floor to vibrate ever so slightly and it can even be heard in the room downstairs :eek: AND thats on carpet ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The rattle and vibrations is not as loud however when its in the vertical position on carpet, but i am afraid it will overheat.

My 360 although it never has overheated gets very hot and i rarely play it for more than a few hours. Its not just when its not carpet either.
And i know its normal for it to get hot lol but my brothers 360 only ever gets warm :thumbsdow

Apart from the loudness and heat however the 360 works fine and only rarely crashes.

At the same time though my brothers 360 isnt plain sailing as his samsung drive is scratching disks. And that is the second replacement for his previous 360 which had the samsung drive too and literally cracked our disks and decided to 'turn off' randomly :rolleyes:

Anyway Does anyone else get the vibrations or rattles with their hitachi drive or is mine just faulty :(

rik1471

i have a 360 - dated 17-02-06 and its very loud

my brothers 360 is no where near as loud

for instance my fans are louder than his, and i have the hitachi drive which is louder than his samsung.

the thing is my hitachi drive is even louder than any other :eek: When i lie my 360 down the whole 360 seems to rattle and there is a low pitched sound which causes the floor to vibrate ever so slightly and it can even be heard in the room downstairs :eek: AND thats on carpet ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The rattle and vibrations is not as loud however when its in the vertical position on carpet, but i am afraid it will overheat.

My 360 although it never has overheated gets very hot and i rarely play it for more than a few hours. Its not just when its not carpet either.
And i know its normal for it to get hot lol but my brothers 360 only ever gets warm :thumbsdow

Apart from the loudness and heat however the 360 works fine and only rarely crashes.

At the same time though my brothers 360 isnt plain sailing as his samsung drive is scratching disks. And that is the second replacement for his previous 360 which had the samsung drive too and literally cracked our disks and decided to 'turn off' randomly :rolleyes:

Anyway Does anyone else get the vibrations or rattles with their hitachi drive or is mine just faulty :(

Did I just read that right? You play the 360 on a carpet?! Not a good move.

geowars2

Did I just read that right? You play the 360 on a carpet?! Not a good move.

Well its not anymore as i put a flat wooden block under the 360 so air can be pulled in the bottom... and the 360 now looks like its floating which is cool :rotfl:

the problem with this is that the rattling and vibrations are even worse and it is very very noticeable even when my sound is blasting :eek:

i suppose i can always quietly trade my brothers 360 lol but then again i dont want my disks scratched either ;)

Brutos

Well its not anymore as i put a flat wooden block under the 360 so air can be pulled in the bottom... and the 360 now looks like its floating which is cool :rotfl:

the problem with this is that the rattling and vibrations are even worse and it is very very noticeable even when my sound is blasting :eek:

i suppose i can always quietly trade my brothers 360 lol but then again i dont want my disks scratched either ;)

For various reasons i've had 4 360's go threw my hands in the last few weeks, 2 of them had the Hitachi drive and 2 the Samsung drive. The Samsung drives were alot louder and kept giving me the "disc read error" when playing oblivion.

So i'd say the Hitachi drive is much better, but maybe yours is faulty :(

Are you sure it's the drive and not something else rattling :confused:

m1ket

I recently got a core to replace a RIP launch unit and it is noticeably quieter (both fans and drives) than my launch unit i was quite shock at the difference:eek:

almightygoodgod

I have just got my first replacement 360 and while finding it slightly quieter than my previous one it is embarrassingly loud sat next to my PS3 which I can't even hear during the quietest parts of a Blu-ray.

geowars2

For various reasons i've had 4 360's go threw my hands in the last few weeks, 2 of them had the Hitachi drive and 2 the Samsung drive. The Samsung drives were alot louder and kept giving me the "disc read error" when playing oblivion.

So i'd say the Hitachi drive is much better, but maybe yours is faulty :(

Are you sure it's the drive and not something else rattling :confused:

the hitachi is probably more reliable as my old 360's samsung drive used to randomly 'turn off' or get much quieter (e.g. disk not spinning fast) during gameplay. It sometimes caused the 360 to crash because of it.

Even with that problem the 360 had to go back but that was because it cracked and broke my Call of Duty 2 disk! (and badly scratched my pgr3 and burnout disks)

Anyways i think its the vibrations from the dvd drive which are causing the case to rattle a bit. Its stopped rattling now for some reason, but my bedroom floor still vibrates (slightly!) and it can be heard downstairs!

I don't mind the noise of the drive too much as long as my 360 works but it was very very annoying when it started rattling!

mattartist

Standard Member
I've got the UPS email ready to send off my recent replacement unit. My latest one is notably louder than my original launch unit that I sent back. It's obvious whilst watching a DVD.

But I am in that swine of a dilema wondering wether I should count my blessings (sad state of affairs for any consumer product) and keep it for fearing a worse one from the gamble! But I do use the 360 for Media Centre and HD DVD in the living room. The noise levels don't seem as bad as DerryCityBoy describes but are still very distracting over a sound track.

How do you fellas tell if it's a Samsung or Hitachi. Never looked tbh, are there markings on the disc tray or have you opened the case?

Btw, did MS replace your broken game discs?
Matt

geowars2

I've got the UPS email ready to send off my recent replacement unit. My latest one is notably louder than my original launch unit that I sent back. It's obvious whilst watching a DVD.

But I am in that swine of a dilema wondering wether I should count my blessings (sad state of affairs for any consumer product) and keep it for fearing a worse one from the gamble! But I do use the 360 for Media Centre and HD DVD in the living room. The noise levels don't seem as bad as DerryCityBoy describes but are still very distracting over a sound track.

How do you fellas tell if it's a Samsung or Hitachi. Never looked tbh, are there markings on the disc tray or have you opened the case?

Btw, did MS replace your broken game discs?
Matt

heres how to check your drive:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

I would keep it.
In my 360 the newest one had the loudest fans and maybe that aint always a bad thing as the fans could be better. For instance my brothers 360 has quieter fans because his are completely different ones. (you can see this if you look through the grill at the back)

My MFG date is a week newer than his btw.

Anyways what i mean about the fans being better is that although mines seems to get far hotter, that might not be a bad thing because if mines is hotter round the back maybe its because the fans are pushing more hot air out and therefore mines is better cooled ??

On the other hand the side of my case sometimes gets very hot also. :rolleyes:

Im probably wrong but if your 360 is working fine i would keep it :thumbsup:

oh and MS only replace disks if its a microsoft game such as pgr3.

Although when i phoned up i asked them for the money for cod2 and they kept telling them to phone them back and that it takes so many days to contact the manager or something to deal with my complaint etc... :eek:

i dont know if they were just lying to me but i forgot to phone back and i ended up just buying a new COD2 from www.play-asia.com for £23 :thumbsup:

mattartist

Standard Member
Cheers for the link. Very interesting. I reckon I've had Samsung both times from memory of the ejected tray!

I see where you're going with the fan theory. Especially as your brother's randomly turns off. I guess it boils down to how you use it. For games, the noise doesn't bother me so much, it disappears. But when it's supposed to be almost idle and used as an MC extender, the fan 'pollution' is annoying, especially when you're 12ft away!

My next 'do I/don't I' test is to get round to watching a HD DVD which should determine if the noise is the fans or the DVD disc - i.e. no need for the DVD drive to spin if using HD DVD drive. In which case I'll use the HD DVD drive to play DVDs.:smashin: Though I do think it's the fans :(

Fingers crossed for a Benq drive! :rolleyes:

geowars2

Cheers for the link. Very interesting. I reckon I've had Samsung both times from memory of the ejected tray!

I see where you're going with the fan theory. Especially as your brother's randomly turns off. I guess it boils down to how you use it. For games, the noise doesn't bother me so much, it disappears. But when it's supposed to be almost idle and used as an MC extender, the fan 'pollution' is annoying, especially when you're 12ft away!

My next 'do I/don't I' test is to get round to watching a HD DVD which should determine if the noise is the fans or the DVD disc - i.e. no need for the DVD drive to spin if using HD DVD drive. In which case I'll use the HD DVD drive to play DVDs.:smashin: Though I do think it's the fans :(

Fingers crossed for a Benq drive! :rolleyes:

if you turn your 360 on without a disk in the drive then you would know then if its the fans that are making the racket :thumbsup:

mattartist

Standard Member
if you turn your 360 on without a disk in the drive then you would know then if its the fans that are making the racket :thumbsup:

Very true :laugh:

I guess I was trying to say that if the collective sounds of fans plus HD DVD drive is quieter than DVD + fans, then the decision to return will be made all the harder as it'll not be as off putting.

Brutos

the hitachi is probably more reliable as my old 360's samsung drive used to randomly 'turn off' or get much quieter (e.g. disk not spinning fast) during gameplay. It sometimes caused the 360 to crash because of it

Yep that's exactly what happened with both the samsung drives i had, basically it would stop making a noise then crash and give me a "disc read error".

"heres how to check your drive:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_3...Comparison.htm"

Here's a better picture of the samsung drive as it's hard to see on that pic but the samsung's got a small hole at the front of the tray.

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/dvdtest/samsung-hitachi-benq.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom