My 26" DVI shortlist (samsung/sharp/philips)

M

mikearv

I 'think' I've got my shortlist all sorted. I'm after either a 23" or a 26" for the bedroom and it seems for most manufacturers 26" models offer alot more features size below. I want a set with a HDMI/DVI input.

Sharp Aquoas LT-26GA4E
- Full 16:9
- DVI-in, 3 scarts, component in
- 800:1
- 16ms response?
- naff remote
26GA4_img.jpg

Samsung LW26A33W
- DVI input
- Nice styling
- 600:1
- Seems very hard to find
LW26A33W-400.jpg

Philips 26PF9956 Pixel Plus
- 400:1
- 16ms
- DVI-in, 2 scarts, 1 RGB
- Not sure about the styling
26PF9956_12_webImageFullSize.jpg

I'm undecided between the 3, all of these models(or their largest brothers) seem to be as yet un-reviewed. At the moment I think I'm leaning toward the sharp, or the samsung. Anyone care to help me out and share their opinion?

mike

The 26" Samsung is available at your local Currys ... Quite a nice set really.

Phil

mikearv said:
Sharp Aquos LT-26GA4E
- Full 16:9
- DVI-in, 3 scarts, component in
- 800:1
- 16ms response?
- naff remote

Hi Mike,

I think that the Sharp's DVI is only for PC input at 60Hz. ie: it is missing HDCP and 50Hz which is what you need for PAL DVD player connnectivity.

John Lewis has the Samsung.

James

jgrg said:
Hi Mike,

I think that the Sharp's DVI is only for PC input at 60Hz. ie: it is missing HDCP and 50Hz which is what you need for PAL DVD player connnectivity.

hmmm, looks like you might be right. The manual doesn't mention DVI when connecting a DVD player, it only mentions using the DVI for a PC connection.

The Samsung manual has a chart listing all the supported resolutions, and then says and I quote "DVI dose not support PC function"...so I assume this means no PC via DVI in the samsung.

The Samsung is 15:9 :thumbsdow .

I tried connecting my PC with DVI with the resolution set to 1280x768 and got strange results. The desktop seemed to be larger than the screen size and moving the mouse "scrolled" the visible screeen within the desktop (if you see what I mean). The only resolution which "fitted" the screen was 800x600 (and this was distorted). I don't understand what was happening. Perhaps my software is not up to scratch or else it's because DVI "dose" not support PC.

Forget about Samsung, a huge disappointment with anything but DVI input. There is something wrong with their electronics and the European eye, its colors and details all seem unnatural to Europeans. Their DNie picture improvement is a bad joke. I'd have a look at the new toshiba 27WL46, it's a huge improvement over the old toshibas. I'd say the best picture in that size category, hands down and a very nice design. The philips is just plain ugly and picture quality is just decent.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom