My 200 hour run in plan - long film suggestions please!

dupfold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

My Hitachi 9700 is being delivered this Wednesday and I would like to clock up the 200 hours run in ASAP so I can use it the way I want and play my games on it etc.

I work from home so initially I'm going to set it up in my office, put it on mute and find and play the longest films (non subtitles).

Can I have your suggestions for some long films please?

dupfold said:
Hello

My Hitachi 9700 is being delivered this Wednesday and I would like to clock up the 200 hours run in ASAP so I can use it the way I want and play my games on it etc.

I work from home so initially I'm going to set it up in my office, put it on mute and find and play the longest films (non subtitles).

Dances with Wolves - Any Lord of the Rings...................

just put a film on loop (and check it hasn't frozen every now and then)

kevmarshall said:
Dances with Wolves - Any Lord of the Rings...................

Wouldn't the LOTR films have bars top and bottom making it a no no for running in?

dupfold said:
Hello

My Hitachi 9700 is being delivered this Wednesday and I would like to clock up the 200 hours run in ASAP
It makes no difference which film you watch as it'll still take over 8 days to run in regardless.

Ian Vinten said:
Wouldn't the LOTR films have bars top and bottom making it a no no for running in?

.............not if you use ZOOM !

But then you're either stretching or missing out on half the picture? Surely it's best to find a proper 16:9 film if you want to watch things whilst running in?

Ian Vinten said:
But then you're either stretching or missing out on half the picture? Surely it's best to find a proper 16:9 film if you want to watch things whilst running in?

.........quite right. I'm not saying I would watch it like that but I thought the idea was for something to put on just to use up the 200 hours?

I'm going to set it up in my office, put it on mute and find and play the longest films (non subtitles).

dupfold said:
Hello

"War of the Worlds";)

Ultraviolet - if you manage to watch that film all the way through even once you deserve a medal ;)

thanks guys. As I say I won't be watching it so doesn't matter what film I use as long as its long. I'll be playing the film (avi) via my xbox so I'll check to see if XBMC can put it on a loop, this would be very helpful if poss.

Get Lost...

...the complete first series ;) :D :rotfl: :) :rolleyes: :D

One thing I noticed after using my plasma on run in settings for the first 200 hours was how I got so used to the lower brightness and contrast that I now prefer the picture set up this way compared to the over bright over colourful way I used to watch television :)

People worry far too much about running in.

(I'm not saying you should have some concern, and obviously don't leave "BBC News 24" on for hours on end with all its nasty tickers and what-not.)

Just use the screen, watch a film, watch some tv, play a game.

As long as its not on one channel with a logo for more than an hour or so you'll be fine, and if the channel has logos, just zoom in to get rid of them.

I would think leaving a film on a loop for the run in would

BE THE WORST THING YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO!

LOTR for example has a very limited colour pallette, its all stoney blue\dirty greens or variations of them.

I could be wrong, and prolly am but I suppose thats why paranoia was invented.

robo989 said:
I would think leaving a film on a loop for the run in would

BE THE WORST THING YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO!

mmm, quite worrying, anyone else think the same?

hey mate don't worry yet :)

It most likely isn't true, but in the case of something costing as much as a plasma, you want to be sure.

Its just its a pretty logical thing to happen. I'm thinking during running in you want all different colours being "broken in"...

?!:suicide:

I agree, although I dont know what the technically correct thing to do is, we used zoom to get rid of the logos on the kids chanels and just watched it as normal. After about 200 hours we set the pic to normal and its now fine.

I don't think I would want to leave the same film on loop.......

ive had my plasma for over 2 years didn't do any running in and its fine, did notice the picture getting better and better over a 6 - 8 month period,now it looks fantastic

Why films anyway???????

I just put mine on low contrast and left it on BBC1 all day when I wasn't looking at it. No logo to worry about.:smashin:

ok the loop thing was just a suggestion from someone else, I can use a number of films, tv series, anything I guess.

kevmarshall - Even bbc has logos, ie, clock on news, cbbc logo etc.

I don't see anything wrong with looping a long movie at all, whatever you use just check it regularly to make sure it hasn't 'stuck'. Personally I have never worried about run in, the correct settings for a plasma are all pretty low anyway and it's amazing how quick you get the hours up just on standard viewing.

I don't mind the run in, if there's even a 1 pecent chance that it helps prevent screen burn then thats worth it for me.

I should of said at the start that I will be playing a lot of fifa and racing games on it so I think a run in is a good idea before I play any games on it.

Just received my stand, weights a ton but a wicked bargain!

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/95749

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom