my 1st post,which player to get.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cirdan, Sep 29, 2004.

1. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi there. its my first post and im just after a bit of advice before i go to change my current dvd player.

its a cambridge audio 57. ive had it for just under a year, and upto last week its been fine. but then i got the alien quad and ive had a few problems. mainly with lip sync and double cuts, dont know if thats the right term but explains what i got. so i took the player back to richer sounds who replaced it with another, incase the player was at fault. but the same problems were there. so i rang them up and they said it could be replaced for another make/model. so any advice on a replacement would be great. im going in on thursday. the new one would have to be around £120 max.

thanks.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    Welcome to the forums :smashin:

Two models that come to mind in that price range are
    - Pioneer 575
    - Toshiba 340

Neither of those should give you any problems.

3. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the reply.

when i rang richer sounds i mentioned the pioneer, as i had seen it mentioned a few times with some good comments. but the guy said there had been a few problems with it on disks like the lord of the rings extended dvd's. is this true or was he maybe trying to put me off that brand/machine.

ive had a toshiba a few years ago and was generally quite pleased with it, how good is the one you mention, noise, layer change etc.

many thanks

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i've had the pioneer for a couple on months now and i've not noticed any problems with i've played disks from regions 1,2,3 and 4 without issue. and i think its better than the Tosh.

Gary

5. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks. as i said ive had a toshiba before so would be keen to try a new machine, as long as its ok ofcourse. ill post back when i exchange my player.

cheers.

6. cirdan

cirdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i got it changed today. no pioneers in so i thought id try the toshiba 530 which was around the cost of the player i was exchanging. i would rather have had a pioneer mainly because ive read so many good things, but as ive had a tosh before, my mum and dad currently use my old one and the alien disks work fine, i thought id give it a go, also i didnt want to wait indefinately until the pioneer came in.

a few things ive noticed after a couple of films. first off the same problems i got with my alien set on the cambridge are still there which is very annoying, i may try and change the dvds again just incase. also there is a destinct sound whilst the player is playing, i know they make some noise but it was clearly evident throughout a film i watched before, it was a little offputting, i dont remember the cambridge doing that it was very quiet, could this be because its a new player and ive only had it on for a few hours?

well i managed to borrow a pioneer 370 i think it is from a relative for a few days and the alien set works ok. so i think i will try to get a pioneer.