My 17' x 8' Home Cinema Room Project

Phil.LFC

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, this is it. Work is about to start on my project :smashin:

We moved into this house a couple of years ago and the previous owners had converted one half of the double garage into a "family room".
It has been done properly, with timber floor, plastered walls, UPVC window etc. This saves me a load of hassle and work. "All" I've got to do is make a few alterations, redecorate and fill with AV equipment:)

I've spent the last few weeks planning and sourcing equipment for the room. We were using the room as a sort of home cinema room before, but it also became home for various other stuff, including treadmill, table, sofabed.
My previous equipment consisted of a Denon AVR2803 receiver, 37" Panny Plasma, Kef 5005 5.1 speaker system, PS3, and also a hi-fi separate system of Cambridge Audio Azur stuff and some Mordaunt Short MS914 floorstanders.

My new plan is to ditch the Plasma. I'll be using a JVC HD350 projector which I've just bought, a Onkyo 905 amp which I bought off here, PS3, then I'm going to use my 914's at the front together with a MS centre, then use the Kef 5005's at the rear and/or middle for 5.1/7.1. I'm going to have to paint my 914's as they're beech, and I want everything to be dark in this room.
I intend to put in a far bit of effort getting the room right. I have permission from SWMBO to do "what I want" in the room, which is great! In fact, I've even fitted a codelock on the door to the room that only I know the code for, as I want the whole project to be done "secretly" and have a grand opening for the family in a few weeks time :)

My wife has been involved in the planning though, mainly to do with budget, seating and other smaller details.
I can't wait to get on with it now. I'm off work all next week so intend to get quite a bit done then. I'll try my best to keep this thread updated on here for anyone who might be interested.
Thanks must go to all those that have posted their projects. I have read through loads over the last couple of weeks and they have provided me with much encouragement and inspiration. If I can achieve something even half as impressive as most of the projects on here I'll be well happy. I intend to do most of the work myself, although this won't be easy as I work full time and have two boys aged 11 and 12, so life can be hectic. I'm reasonably competent at DIY though, so I'm not too daunted by it all.

I have decided to go with a fixed screen after having a projector demo at fellow AVForum member KBFern's house. (Keith has been a great source of information and inspiration - cheers Keith :smashin:).
As I am going to have a fixed screen, I will need to block up the window at the end of the room (Where the garage door used to be). This will be a good thing in two ways. It will cut out all daylight, also it will reduce the amount of sound leakage I am getting through the window. I will probably block it up from the inside using some kind of framework filled with Rockwool. I'll paint it black on the side that faces the window, then from the outside it will just look like there is a black blind pulled down over the window. With the double glazing it will also have a certain amount of "mirror" effect from the outside.I might also make up a few more frames to use as acoustic panels along the walls.

I've already ordered some seating. 2 power reclining black leather chairs, which will be the main listening/viewing position, about 8 feet away from the screen, then a 2 seater at the back of these chairs, sat on a raised platform that I will build.

I have already tested the projector/viewing distances etc, so all seems good. (The PJ picture is stunning. I've tested the amp tonight too just in stereo and it sounds brill, outperforming my CA Azur, so it's going to sound fab, I hope, with movies when it's all set up properly).

I need to remove a CH radiator, which currently sits under the window. it's never worked very well since we've been here. I reckon the run is too long or there are too many rads in the system. I've decided to get rid of it and I've now ordered an Air Conditioning unit which is coming next week. This will also provide heat.

I'm thinking of going for a black and dark purple colour scheme, with plenty of lighting (Downlights, LED's, rope lights). I'm also thinking of using curtains to cover the fixed screen when not in use. These could also then come back into the room at the sides a little, again helping contrast. I may even get electric curtains. I'm also thinking of using them to mask when watching 16:9, by stitching some strips of upvc into the ends to provide a sharp edge.

Phew, sorry for the long post, think I've covered everything I need to do. It's just doing it now :rolleyes:

A few photos to start with. They are of the room ready to be done and also a couple where I tested the PJ onto a temporary Ikea blackout blind.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG2518.JPG
    CIMG2518.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 11,216
  • CIMG2507.JPG
    CIMG2507.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 11,089
  • CIMG2496.JPG
    CIMG2496.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 11,223
  • CIMG2497.JPG
    CIMG2497.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 11,092
  • CIMG2502.JPG
    CIMG2502.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 11,157
  • CIMG2505.JPG
    CIMG2505.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 11,130
Got my cinema in a very similar setup, but reversed and with 2' extra width in the room. Will be swapping rooms soon for one that is square so that I can get a much cleaner sound stage.

A couple of photos from my first days work in the room. Please tell me if it's a bit sad/boring to post photos like this :confused:
Hopefully it'll get more interesting pretty soon.
I can't figure out how to rotate images so that's why the thumbnails are at the bottom.

Radiator removal, not the nicest job:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Today I've got to start working out what wood I need for the raised area, pelmets and screen. I had my AC unit delivered yesterday so that's got to be fitted too. Looking forward to going back to work next week for a rest :laugh:

Attachments

• CIMG2520.JPG
    CIMG2520.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 665
  • CIMG2526.JPG
    CIMG2526.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 622
  • CIMG2527.JPG
    CIMG2527.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 10,571
  • CIMG2528.JPG
    CIMG2528.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 10,617
Keep up the good work Phil:thumbsup: if you feel knackered now just think back to when you were bringing the 905 home and you will feel as fresh as a daisy.:D

Nowhere near as much progress as I'd hoped for today. Spent most of the day planning what woodwork I needed to buy. I was originallly going to have a large pelmet running around the ceiling but this wasn't going to work as I'm restricted for space where the screen is going. I've now designed a different kind of pelmet using skirting board - sounds dodgy I know, but hopefully it'll look ok. I'll post some photos when I start that job.

I've managed to order a load of wood which should be delivered tomorrow. The 8' x 4' sheet of MDF for the screen was not something I wanted to carry on the roofrack, but I did manage to collect the joists for the raised area. This looks a lot of wood:eek:
attachment.php

Air Conditioning unit that arrived damaged :mad:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Indoor unit which is ok:
attachment.php

I'm not a good artist, but just to give you a bit of an idea of what I'm trying to achieve, here's a couple of little sketches I've done:
attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG2534.JPG
    CIMG2534.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 10,206
  • CIMG2536.JPG
    CIMG2536.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 10,192
  • CIMG2537.JPG
    CIMG2537.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 10,168
  • CIMG2538.JPG
    CIMG2538.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 10,126
  • CIMG2540.JPG
    CIMG2540.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 10,098
I have decided to go with a fixed screen after having a projector demo at fellow AVForum member KBFern's house.

good choice, nothing beats a fixed screen.

Thanks for the comments :smashin:

It's great to get some feedback. I wasn't sure if anybody would be interested at this "boring" preparation stage of the build.

I'll post some photos later. Been doing a lot of electrical work and fitted the indoor part of the air conditioning unit.

I didn't get anywhere near as much done as I'd hoped last week. Spent hours doing electrical work and fitting the air conditioning.

A few pics of the work so far:

Electrics
attachment.php

Found a good home for the old carpet!!!
attachment.php

Raised area
attachment.php

Air Con outdoor unit - a PITA to fit!
attachment.php

Raised area again
attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG2543.JPG
    CIMG2543.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 10,088
  • CIMG2545.JPG
    CIMG2545.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 12,829
  • CIMG2547.JPG
    CIMG2547.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 9,675
  • CIMG2551.JPG
    CIMG2551.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 9,703
  • CIMG2554.JPG
    CIMG2554.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 9,565
Thanks for the comments :smashin:

It's great to get some feedback. I wasn't sure if anybody would be interested at this "boring" preparation stage of the build.

I'll post some photos later. Been doing a lot of electrical work and fitted the indoor part of the air conditioning unit.

It's certainly not boring! :rotfl: Keep the pics coming, good work :smashin:

Hit a slight snag.

Under the floorboards that the previous owners had fitted as part of the conversion, there is no insulation. You can see the original concrete garage floor. Would it be best for me to put some insulation under there? If so, what sort, also how deep, bearing in mind there are air bricks at the front to ventilate the floor. Is it ok to fill it up with insulation?

I need to decide what to do quickly as I am ready to fit my raised area. :confused:

Been really busy but still doesn't look much different :(

Everything seems to take far longer than expected.

I've filled the raised area with rockwool and fitted chipboard flooring to it.
I've figured out the wiring for the sidelights (4), LED ropelight, LED downlights and the 2 main downlights. I've also got some LED's for the raised area/step to fit, as well as an illuminated EXIT sign for above the door!
I am going to control the 2 main downlights and the sidelights with a double RC Varilight dimmer. Controlling all the other lights caused me loads of problems, as I want to do it myself and don't want the expense of some of the more elaborate lighting control systems, as well as the amount of time this would take.
I think I may have come across a great idea though. I have bought a 4 way extension socket from TLC which is remote controlled. I am planning to run the ropelight and LED's into this, together with the exit sign. I can then control them individually or all together by remote. I just need to figure out how best to wire the ropelight and led sets, as I have 2 separate ropelight circuits and 3 LED circuits. With the exit sign I will have 6 plugs in total. Would it be ok to wire the 2 ropelight circuits into 1 plug, and do a similar thing with the LED's?

I've also been busy fitting woodwork for the screen frame/window boxing in and also for the pelmets which will house the ropelight and LED downlights.

The window is now completely blocked off. I made a framework up and filled it with rockwool type slabs. I then fitted it to the window rebate, making sure it was a tight fit (I gave the window one final good clean on the inside first!). I painted the back (hardboard) of the framework black. I also left the vertical blinds in position in the window, tilted slightly. From the outside of the house I'm really pleased with the result. It looks normal as the blinds are there. with the black hardboard looking quite invisible from a distance. You have to get really close up to see the black, even then it just looks like a blackout blind is in place.
On the inside I filled the (small) gaps around the edges with plenty of frame sealant. I tested it afterwards and the room is now PITCH black with the door shut :smashin:

I now need to choose a carpet colour. I'm going with a very dark theme. Black walls, ceiling and sofas/chairs. I am thinking of going for either dark red or dark blue carpet, together with similar colour wall panels (rockwool/material). As usual though I'm useless at deciding so I'll have to think about it a bit more. Red or blue:confused: SWMBO is also undecided btw!

I'm off to Bristol tomorrow to the What Hi Fi Sound & Vision Show. I've not really got much else to buy, other than a 10m HDMi lead, a surge protection socket and maybe some Dolby/DTS signs if I can get some. I'll just be glad of the rest really as I've worked my socks off this week. I'm going back to work next week for a rest:laugh:

If anyone could help with some of the qustions I have that would be great. To summarise:
Red or blue carpet? (I know it's personal taste but opinions always welcome!)
2 or more sets of Ropelight/LED's into one plug?
A couple of other things I'll need to sort out soon too:
Which cloth for the front wall/side wall/ceiling (1st metre or so)?
Anyone have experience of fitting 30mm LED's into steps/raised areas through carpet too?
Best Matt Black paint for ceiling? (I used Dulux mixed by B&Q for the hardboard and it seemed ok - ie quite black!)
Best paint for my screen (MDF board)?
Are the acoustic tiles on fleabay any good for ceiling/wall use?
Am I best to run a Cat5 cable to my amp (Onkyo 905)? If so, where's best place to buy?
Mid and rear speaker positions? Mid 90 degrees from main listening position? Are they both best at ear height when seated?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll probably find the answers out myself eventually but just thought I'd ask anyway.

Some photos:

Raised area with insulation added
attachment.php

Window boxing in/boarding up
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oops, I'll try again! Let me know if they work this time if you can please! Cheers

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG2555.JPG
    CIMG2555.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 9,062
  • CIMG2560.JPG
    CIMG2560.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 8,916
  • CIMG2561.JPG
    CIMG2561.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 8,921
  • CIMG2562.JPG
    CIMG2562.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 8,907
  • CIMG2564.JPG
    CIMG2564.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 8,930
Yep can see them now :) thanks

Interesting... that thing for the window for sound insulation or light?

Is the insulation in the riser doing its job? I wondered whether that or sand would be better...not sure

Good work, keep it up :)

Thanks Simon :smashin:

The window board is for both light and sound insulation. Even though it is a double glazed window, it's rubbish at keeping sound in/out. So fixing the board in place will hopefully help and has automatically blocked out ALL light.

The insulation in the raised area was fitted because I'd read on here a few times about people doing a similar thing to stop it becoming a "boom" box or something like that??? I've not tested it yet, but I'm hoping it'll be ok?

Thanks again for your comments, it's nice to get encouragement (SWMBO doesn't want to know - it's just all "a mess" to her :rolleyes:)

This is really coming on so far. The window solution is great; genious even :cool:

Glad to see some results for your hard work:)

Can't help much with most of your questions but the colour.

Well you can't have blue because it will remind you of Everton it just has to be RED don't you think.:laugh:

Hi Inzaman and Keith,
Thank you for your very kind words, but I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without the help/advice/encouragement and inspiration from yourselves and everyone else on this great forum :smashin:

It's a shame AVForums are not at Bristol as I could have shown my appreciation in person as I'm just on the train on my way to the show.

Lol, everton blue, yuk!!!
Saying that I'm having blue LEDs so thought it would look good, but might be a bit too much blue.....decisions, decisions.. :rolleyes:

Do you have aircon elsewhere in the house 'cos that seems like overkill for such a small space :)

In such as small place it's surely even more reason for a/c.

Projector/Onkyo 905/3-4 people watching/other electrical equipment/no windows or other ventilation/summer weather.

All good reasons to have a/c in any room let alone a small room which will get hot and sticky pretty fast especially in the summer don't you think.

Looks like everthing is coming along nicely there Phil !

As regards your lighting, there are a number of options you could choose depending on how flexible you wanted it to be.

The lights can be run from a plug no problem, there are only 2 issues in that you need to make sure of, the plug should have a 3 or 5 amp fuse in it instead of 13 (lighting circuits run on a 5 or 6 amp circuit depending on how old your electrics are !) The plug could be wired to a 20amp lighting junction box and from this you could feed several lighting circuits (obviously the load (wattage) needs to be known so you dont overload the circuit but as they are leds the wattage should be pretty low).

This would of course mean that one plug would turn on all the lights - or you could run 2 independent circuits, each from its own plug/junction box arrangement and then have these plugs into a spreader/extension cable with remote control timers on them. This way you could use a remote to turn on each of them separately.

The other option (which would be my preferred way) is to connect them into your existing lighting circuit (if you can access the junction boxes/ceiling rose wiring etc), this would mean you could control the main lights/other lights from the varilight dimmer - again they would be all on the same switch or you could add another light switch and create another lighting section on the existing lighting circuit.

Or a final option, run them from a fused spur of your ring main. If you have a plug socket nearby you can run a spur cable off it to a fused connection unit fitted with a 3/5 amp fuse and then a cable from this to your lights - this would mean the lights would be controlled by a manual switch though.

As regards the spotlights through carpet - the issue is always heat ! Leds dont give out anywhere near as much heat as halogens but the manufacturers still advise to not have them near too much insulation or boxed in too much. The toggle springs will keep them pretty flush even if they are going through carpet and then wood - bit of 'adjustment' may be needed on the spring toggles to get a tighter flush fit.

Hope this helps.

Shady

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom