1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MXE1 vs PHD7 vs 435XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ladypickers, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry everyone to post again but I am still not decided on what plasma, have looked at XDE & PHD7 & PW7 (discounted this due to not being HD) but haven't had a chance to see MXE1. Just wondered if anyone could post what they feel are the good and bad points of each before I go into meltdown. One thing i do have to bear in mind is there could be a possibilty of us emigrating to Oz but not sure yet...god I'm not normally this indecisive. Or does anyone think it worth waiting to see if the Panny 8's will be any better...which is not guarenteed. I know the blacks are better on the pannys. Futureproofing if it is really possible is an issue to me as I dont want to be replacing my kit for a few years...unless i win the lottery.

2. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi ladypickers
    I have been deliberating my plasma for well over a year and just purchased
    PHD7 and an iscan HD+, thats what works for me :)
    so if you hang on a week I guarantee a big price drop !

3. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you know about price dropping in the next week :)

4. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want it to be Sky HD compatible and you want to buy it right now, your only option is the 435XDE. I had the same dilemma and waited for months and months, for either Aurora finishing their never ending story of the TVP-500F card that would make the MXE1 HDCP compatible, or for Panasonic to come out with a new HDMI board that would make it Euro HDTV compatible. Eventually I gave up and went for the 505XDE. Although there might be a possibility of a 5% picture quailty improvement with the other screens, I am very happy with my purchase and tbh the XDE just looks so much better than the others. And don't forget, it's not just a screen to watch a movie on, but also a (large) piece of furniture you have to look at.

5. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    All I know is that every time I buy something expensive the price drops soon after :mad:

6. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the XDE looks nice thats the least important reason to buy IMO....we've all put up with ugly CRT's for so long.....picture quality is most important to me and future proofing if possible, that why I was wondering about MXE1 is it really any better than XDE or is PHD7 leagues ahead

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Seeing an MXE and scaler is thr only way to decide. It's different to the PHD, the difference is a matter of taste. Both are excellent screens. It is very definitely more than the mooted 5% ahead of the XDE with analogue sources, though with top quality digital ones, when the HDCP board comes along, I think not much difference will be noticed. Full HD is still years away though, so much so I'm convinced quite a number of XDE purchasors will be on their 2nd plasma before more than 50% of their source material is HD

8. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Maw, what would be you preference MXE1 or PHD7 and for what reasons, I will try to find someone with MXE1 setup next to PHD7, do you know anyone in or near London

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :blush: I have a PHD myself, I prefer the picture. I can show the 2 together, with VGA simultaneously, but DVI they require different settings.

10. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Maw I'll PM you