MXE1 - using a laptop for DVDs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by crobo, Sep 14, 2004.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Recently took delivery of a Pioneer 43MXE-1 (and many thanks to Joe Fernand for all sorts of help). It's mainly for computer use and as a monitor it is nothing short of fantastic - running a laptop at 1024 x 768 means that Windows applications and games are incredibly detailed, and the stretched image doesn't bother me for these applications.
    We do use the MXE for DVDs though and I have a budget DVD player (3 yr old Toshiba 210) for it. The picture is OK but not great (PQ is first class with a high-end DVD player but this is linked to the PWD4 that we have for main DVD/TV use in the living room). It would be simplest to use the PowerDVD in the laptop but can anyone help with 2 points?
    1. I can only get the picture as 4:3 or stretched on WXGA mode; as far as I can tell, the MXE will only allow 'zoom' mode when fed resolutions other than 1024 x 768 (and the laptop only does 860 x 480 or 1024 x 768). Is there a way round this?
    2. The PowerDVD picture is again OK but not brilliant. Is this a limitation of the hardware (the laptop is only 3 cm high after all, and built for other things) or would different DVD software help?
    Any advice would be appreciated, and my thanks to Forum members for pointing me to the MXE in the first place. More than useful.
    Crobo