MXE Video Boards

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by tbrar, Jul 13, 2003.

1. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if any one had some new regarding the Aurora (apparently some boards shipping in U.S?), or perhaps even the Key Digital PIO768P, input boards ETA?, or indeed what the hold up is?

Scaling is now my number one priority, so any info/updates would be great, as KD web site still states the PIO768P will be shipping Christmas 2002!
    :smoke:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

Yes, good old Key Digital! I think the latest expected shipping date for the card is September, but going by their previous "release dates" I wouldn't hold your breath. Aurora seem to be churning their cards out fairly regularly now - 3 out at the moment with another 2 in the next few months.

Steve

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch,

Thanks for that.

The Aurora cards that are currently shipping, have you looked at them pros/cons against the PIO768P card and the third Aurora, both which are due.

If so I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Patience certainly may be a virtue, sadly however, one that I lack!!!!

Tony

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Tony,

I'm considering going for the new card that is currently in development and due out around November/December time. There is a thread on it on www.avsforum.com where Paul Harris from Aurora was asking members what features this new card should have. You can't get much better customer service than that! The card will be under $1000, about half that of the KD card. It appears that the new card will have one HDCP compliant DVI-I input (which will also take RGB analogue, and component with a suitable supplied breakout lead), 2 HDMI inputs, and one S-video/composite input. It will be able to accept native rate through the DVI, something the A303 card can't do. All these new cards will also be fully compatible with the 4th generation panels. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Great stuff, thanks for your help.

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve & any one else interested. I just recieved a very short and sweet Email from the Key Digital answering the following question;

Michael,

I am contacting you with regards to the availability of the aforementioned card within the UK.

Is it possible to state expected release dates.

And the reply was;

Dear Tony

Christmas
    Thank you

Michael Lakhter
    National Sales Manager
    314 West 231 Street
    Suite 504
    Riverdale, NY 10463

MMmmm.............:suicide:

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Bit abrupt, eh? At least they'll only have to change one digit on their website - for Christmas 2002, read Christmas 2003!

Steve

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Christmas isn't what I was told......

Been away guys sorry.

Key have had a couple of dates for release of these products. One was the original Xmas date and the others have been unpublished, as far as I remember, dates they suggested to distributors.

As I stated above I have been given another date that is well before Xmas. I also believe the card was shown at Infocomm on Pioneers stand. Of course the reality is that we must wait to see how it performs when it arrives.

All I can say just now is that even although the HDL on which it is based doesn't work to the standards I expect with PAL, yet, it still easily outperforms the on board processing of the MXE's 5002 board. So I'd hope for good things when the PIO768P card does turn up on these shores.

Gordon

9. sparkz

sparkz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tbrar, you were lucky. I've sent them around 10 emails over this last 6 months asking about this vapourware product. Not one reply!

With that sort of attitude I might go for the new Aurora. Now when's that due...

Mark

10. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Now, there is more concrete information regarding that.

I have been talking to Aurora directly, they are currently in the process of finalising UK Distributer status with a company (should be finished during August).

The card that I think youre refering to (44 ?) is out in Novemeber.

I have recently had a loan of a stand alone version of the the TVP-1000, the X-Tune. I was not to impressed by all accounts!!. The inuts/outputs were limited (Analog only), the deinterlacing was fair, as was the scaling - though issues such as fixed refersh rates for outputs meant that it was impossible to rid panning judders which was annoying.

By far the biggest problem was its on board 8 Bit colour decoder, it was really terrible!.

We have to bear in mind though that this was their bottom of the range model, and it may not have been calibrtated for PAL (they assure me it had been).

We shall, can only, but wait and see !! :confused:

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Tony,

Paul Harris of Aurora posted this on 29/7 on avsforum about their new scaler card in development.

Sounds interesting! :smashin:

Steve

12. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Do you know if it is the one on their Web site ? (ARS-44 November availability) or is it a different card that still to be announced?.

I like the sound of the ARS-44, as it is simply a high quality deinterlacer/scaler card, no TV tuner ect to complicate matters (and use processing) and offers two digital inputs & audio delay!

The good thing is that Aurora are shipping cards now !, there is no reason why they wont meet timescales they set out.

Tony

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Tony,

No, it's not the ASR-44 which is designed for commercial use and is reflected in the proposed price! :eek: The new card doesn't have a designation yet. Hope this helps.

Steve