1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MXE-1 & HDCP any info?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rob, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Folks,

I know there have been posts a while back about the MXE-1 and a possible aftermarket input board that can accept HDCP (HDMI) but is there anything about yet?

Either that, or is there a PC card that can accept it and output standard DVI? At the moment I use my HCPC for pretty much everything so that would be ideal (although unlikely I guess :rolleyes: )

I'm thinking about the new Sky HD service.I'm not currently a sky subscriber, but I'm now thinking about it and like the idea of keeping the chain all digital, as I do with the TV card. The other option is of course an SDI modded sky+ box, but with HD on the horizon, this would seem a better option, if the screen can recieve it digitally.

TIA,

Rob.

2. UglyMoose

UglyMoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rob

Here you go:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225069

It strikes as crazy that Pioneer do an SD display which is HDCP on DVI, but the MXE1 is not! I even emailed them a few months ago, and they said they had no plans to add HDCP to the MXE1 and didnt have any plans to replace it.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9730&taxonomy_id=62-105

I reckon you should wait for the PHD8, it will hopefully have DVI with HDCP, and if so doesnt require more expensive mods for SDI.
    I suffered from PE (Plasma Excitement) over the PV500, and I am sending it back, after I had a fight with its av input selection!

Just my 2p - no flame throwers please...

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676

:rotfl: Excellent!!

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Moose, kind of what I was looking for. :blush:

So not cheap then. Seems a lot to pay, particularly if you only really want the HDMI input as most folks would I think. I would hang on If I hadn't already bought an MXE about a year ago.

Has anybody bought, or even seen one in action yet (aurora card)??

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I haven't seen one in action yet, I must have a chat with Joe. There was some talk of them not being approved by Pioneer UK over the power consumption, but it might have had something to do with a link up with another card manufacturer, who are also marketing an HDCP card. The water will clear in the next month or so, hang on in there.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Hello all

UglyMoose - the HDCP complaint/non compliance oddity with Pioneer MXE1 vs. MVE1 is due to the MVE1 being an NEC in disguise (Pioneer Plasma bought over NEC Plasma a while back).

The HDCP compliant boards for the MXE1 are relatively expensive and as far as I know none of them are Pioneer 'Expansion Solutions' approved - not an issue if your Display is out of warranty.

I see too that HDCP is starting to make an appearance in the PC market - as more and more PC's are sold as Home Multimedia Centre's then more and more Graphics cards will be HDCP compliant.

Rob - I'm sure there will be a 'solution' that works for your MXE1 :)

Best regards

Joe

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Guys :smashin:

8. m_j_s

m_j_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to previous advice from Pioneer in Australia, the Key Digital HD Explorer card for MXE1 plasmas (4 x HDMI ports + others) is supposed to be available next month. I guess that whether it really materialises or not remains to be seen. A couple of months ago I did see a 50MXE1 with a pre-release version of the card.

9. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all, just thought id see if anyone else has any new info on the new HDCP board???

Also i know, sky hd isnt out yet so we cant be certain but a while back there was a certain dvi splitter box which also stripped the hdcp so would work now, could this be worth tryin to get instead. I would imagine it will still work with new HD dvd players when they are out???

10. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  11. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    no new info???

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Twan1

There's only so many times you can write - 'coming soon'. :)

Best regards

Joe

13. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    lol thanks Joe

trying to get a definitive answer is a nightmare! I guess it really is a case of whatch this space and when its out, its out!

(dont worry bout the email i sent u mate, sent incase u didnt see this post)

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Anton mate all you need is the magic stripper (hint - there was one for sale in the classifieds not so long ago). Your Lumagen will rescale 720 or 1080 to the native res of the screen.

For others a simple stripper won't work as the MXE1 doesn't accept 720p into its DVI input so even a non-HDCP HD signal still won't display!

15. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Alrite Amigo!!

I take it using one of those doesnt affect the picture in anyway???? (i did see the one in the classified from Lee, but at the time didnt have the cash)

Can you mail me a price on one of those please mate :)

Are we thinking this will also work for the new sky HD???

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The one Lee sold was back on again - not sure if it is now. New they're just under £300 quid.

Yes we are thinking correctly about Sky HD ;)

17. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought I should move my ramblings to an appropiate thread as I was talking about the MXE1 in my other entitled NEC XR3.

Basically, my research has brought me to the MXE1 now. Dutch was kind enough to show me a link to the TVP-500F Aurora
    http://plasmaextreme.vstore.ca/prod..._id/7?osCsid=5d782616efabe9133ba9e88a0342b72e

Can I ask, is this what Jo F said would make the warrantly defunct?

Even if so, as I was speaking to Kurtz in the Scalers forum, the holy grail we seek in PDP seems to be 1024x768 @ 50Hz ie accepting native resolution at 50Hz via Digital inputs. This board DOES that. Its got 2 HDMI boards which are HDCP compliant.
    So if you add Gordons Lumagen and get Piers to ISF and everyone elses extras, you end up with what MAW said in another thread.."so that a digital HDCP compliant scaler can be used to scale skyHD, and HD-DVD to a pixel perfect match for the screen"

Pixel perfect match. Can't do it on the PHD7 or 8 because it is at 60Hz and you'll get FRC artefact and judder and everything else I've learnt about in the last week.

With the prices of a MXE1 at £1799 and the board at 740$, and you throw in a scaler (now or later £1000)- will you have ever lasting plasma future proof life from this Holy Grail panel?

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Darren Lui

There's one fly in your ointment - the TVP-500F has still not materialised!!!

The Euro version of the card has an SRP of 1,102.00 Euro (ex vat and shipping).

I'm now told (15.08.05) that the European Distributor is hoping to be able to start shipping the TVP-500F in mid September (I asked was that 05 or 06 and no reply as yet :)).

Best regards

Joe

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    2 flies, Joe. It does not make the DVI HDCP compliant, and as I understand it, the HDMI ports take video res not native.... just like the Fujitsu 50.

20. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @Jo Yikes, that's expensive. Same Q tho'. Will it kill the warranty.

@MAW Unfortunately, I'm a little confused with your reply. Surely it doesn't matter if DVI is HDCP compliant or not because one would have 2 HDMI ports which are. And a scaler outputting in DVI could have a DVI - HDMI converter bobbin.
    Also, by video source you mean, normal tv e.g. football which is difficult to re-interlace, something about 2:2 pulldown as I learnt on another thread. Do you mean normal TV (ie SD stuff now) can't be viewed at native res.

essentially, the screen can only do native res 1024x768 with film (DVD) and proposed HD sourcres. So not the Holy Grail for everything.

Sorry if I'm making a balls of this, maybe I should just get a TV ;)

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Darren, if the HDMI does not do xga, and the DVI is not HDCP, we can't do native with any copy protected source. Ie the screen can do native with anything BUT HDTV and DVD....

22. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  23. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I was gonna say, you don't need that almightily expensive card to get a HDCP signal into an MXE1. Just a scaler to rescale it to XGA (and of course improve the picture to a far higher degree), and a box-o-tricks that allows HDCP signals to talk to non-HDCP devices. I would be lying if I said I don't have any clients that do this already.....

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Likewise, Liam. I'd love to know just what the aurora card will do though.

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Hello all

MAW - that makes three flies then; I wonder how many we require for a swarm!

Darren Lui - as far as I understand it the Aurora TVP-500F does not carry Pioneer's 'Expansion Solution' accreditation so installing one in your Display will invalidate the manufacturers warranty; I'll try and get confirmation from Pioneer UK.

MXE1 In-built DVI Input - you would have to physically change the DVI socket to one that had the HDCP receiver chip on it; the HDCP handshake will fail before the input signal can get to the Aurora card.

As others suggest I feel its now too late for the TVP-500F to make any sort of impact in this market; an external Video Processor with a work around for HDCP is going to be a better bet for most folk.

The Aurora card is going to earn its keep in commercial applications where folk want the TV tuner.

Best regards

Joe