1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mx500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by martin day, Sep 10, 2003.

1. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read great reviews for the MX500 but was wondering if it can do all the everyday stuff the you take for granted with each dedicated remote. EG..DVD - can it do things such as scan,zoom,return to main menu. VCR - can it perform videoplus functions. SKY - can it do all options such as back up ,interactive,etc, TV - option to choose AV1,2,or 3 and most important my Pioneer receiver (VSXD811). - can it perform function such as choosing various surround options, increasing speaker levels etc as well as operating the tuner such as changing radio channels etc. Is there anyone out there who has one of these who can confirm that it is able to do all these things (presumably by learning from the originals) I have a OFA6 at the mo which is ok but I want something that is backlit but has hard buttons as well. Can you also rename the various options that show up on the LCD screen to suit each equipment?

Thanks
    Martin

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking for such a "Wonder" remote, I've tried loads but as you say, you need to be able to identify the button with it's actual function. I get most frustrated because I have a memory problem, due no doubt to excess drinking and old age, that prevents me from knowing what button does what unless it actually says it's function. I have a Memorex that looks similar to the MX500 and you can re-name the keys but you only have four characters to play with, you also have to swap from screen to screen to access all the functions.

I think the MX500 will do all you want of it but the other problem I have is with the shape of these things! The weight is also a factor to bear in mind. My perfect remote would be a variation on the sky+ I prefer to be able to operate it with one hand.

Have you visited The Remote Central Site

Dave

3. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    As DaveP has posted, all these questions are answered at Remote Central. I actually own an MX500 and it's a great remote, more than capable of doing all the things you listed (some might require discrete codes though).
    The MX500 can have 5 characters for each of the 10 LCD button labels and these are fully editable. If you really need lots of space, I suggest a Philips Pronto RU950 or maybe even one of the older black & white Prontomodels such as the RU890 or RU940 which can be picked up quite cheaply now and are extremely capable. All depends if you can live with a touchscreen (with a handful of hardbuttons)...

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have an MX-500, got it off eBay from the US for around £75. No idea what they cost now, but that was great at the time.

I love it to bits.

I had the top of the range colour Marantz touch screen (like the Pronto pro only with a few more hard buttons). Very clever but too much work to setup and to be honest hard buttons win for me every time over a touch screen.

I wanted to like the cool gadget, but saved a fortune switching to the MX-500. It does practically everything, looks a bit funny, but you get used to it quickly enough.

Cheers
    Marc