1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX500 vs MX700

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Triggaaar, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Time to buy a universal remote, but which one. I'm already sold on the solid buttons of these two. Read the reviews, done searches, but still unsure.

The MX700 - doesn't have >> forward & << rewind a chapter at a time buttons, and I have no idea where the record button is (essential sky+ requirement). It's also more expensive. But apart from that, it looks perfect.
    I understand you can assign a macro to any button, but I won't need more than a few macros.

The MX500 - without the IR clone, its either harder to program, or simply not as programable? Not sure which.

My kit is as per sig, with a couple more bits to add. With that kit, would it be straightforward to program the MX500 exactly as I want, or would I need the IR clone? If I need the clone, its a simillar price to the MX700.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The 700 is undoubtedly the more capable remote and it has PC editing "built-in". Comparing it against a 500 WITH IRClone, they are quite similar. Standout points for the 700 are that it has far more comprehensive macro abilities including being able to have a macro on any key whereas the 500 is limited the device/LCD keys and three dedicated macro keys. The 700 also has more "pages" per device - four over the 500's two.

You have already noticed the major "operational" difference between the two which is the key layout. That's a purely subjective thing although with the 700, the extended macro facilities make it easy to work around. A lot of people prefer the 500's "recorder-friendly" layout. Some also prefer the darker livery of the 500 because the sandy colour of the 700 marks more easily but again, that's a subjective thing.

Both the 700 native software and IRClone support the conversion of Pronto .ccf infra-codes. This feature is built into the MXSetup (700) software - it's a third-party tool called CCF2MX on the 500 (which I wrote! :lesson: ). Both software applications are reasonably easy-to-use - the 700 uses a dedicated PC->remote cable, the IRclone device uses a bespoke infra-red sender/receiver which can use the "clone" functions of the 500.

Unless you have a lot of kit and want A LOT of macro programming, the 500 will cover all of your needs and arguably has a better key layout. However, it does require the IRClone to be any competition to the 700. If price is no object and the layout isn't an issue, go for the 700, it's just a more complete package.

Hope that helps...

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Yes, thanks.

I don't think I'll need much macro programming. The MX700 is available, open box, for $220, shipped, vs $195 for the MX500 & IR clone (new).

Question is, would the MX500 be enough of it own, or would it be a pain to program (for my kit) and therefore require the IR-clone?

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    On it's own, the MX500 is reasonably straightforward to program but a little long-winded - if you have a lot of learning to do it will be a chore as each label has to be entered by hand, using a similar text entry system to a mobile (cell) phone. Even using built-in codes takes a little trial-and-error. Also, there is no backup should the unthinkable happen. One of the advantages of IRClone is that you can cut & paste labels and codes amongst devices and from other peoples' IRClone files which simplifies things a lot. Also, once you've completed the setup process, you can make a backup which will make tweaking of macros and things a lot easier. There really isn't a great deal to choose between the 500 and 700 once you start boiling things down to software features as both the MX700 and IRClone applications are very similar in operation. The advantage maybe goes to the 700 in that the software is "official" but the IRClone software is very good. For the record, I own a MX500 and IRClone and I've had no problems and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - however, I'm trying not to be biased and I'm (hopefully) giving a balanced view so that you can make your own decision.

To give you a feel for the amount of programming work that you will have to put in, take a look at the HTM 500/700 files section on Remote Central and also the Pronto codes sections (as you can convert most Pronto codes with both the 500 and 700 softwares). You should be able to get a feel for how much stuff you can copy from other peoples' configurations.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Mme, that sounds like a bit of a clincher in terms of getting the MX500 on its own. I would like the extra couple of buttons on the MX500 (chapter skip, rec) - no idea why they didn't go on the MX700. Probably don't need any more than the MX500's capabilities, but since Bluedo are doing them at about the same price, I am tempted by the 700. I'll have a look at the files as suggested.

For now I guess I should pass on the MX500 for sale in the classifieds.

Many thanks for your help

6. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So are these better than the other remote that is talked about on here a lot . The harmony series?

7. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Don't know anything about the harmony stuff so can't comment (nice thread hijack btw ;) )

8. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Add $50.30 global shipping to that, and you get $195.25. The MX700 is $220 inc shipping.

10. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeah...missed that bit!

must say bluedo's shipping is expensive....fortunately I have friends in the US who can post for 1/4 their rate

I've put in for a MX500on its' own, and will be interested to see what it can do

the harmony remote appealed (569?) because their d/base seemed to know all my equipment, but $us 70-odd was too much to pass up for the mx500