1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX500 + irclone, MX700se or URC 200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Triggaaar, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I’m currently trying to choose between these 3 remotes. I’ve not included the URC 300, because it has a touch screen LCD, which isn’t what I’m after (if it was, there are the prontos & co to look at).

It will be used with sky+ (read any recording device), so the record button on the MX500 seems pretty handy (I realise you can program record onto the other remotes, but nice to have its own button). The MX500 also has chapter skip buttons >>| which are pretty useful for CD and DVD players.

The URC has a separate button to ‘select’, in between all those arrows (like a sky remote), which seems a better solution than the MX remotes, where you have to be more precise (and it’s a button sky users use a lot).

Being able to program the remote with the PC sounds like a good idea, which is the main problem I perceive with the URC (unless the truth is that the learning is so accurate, that it’s a breeze to program anyway). The irclone allows you to set up the MX500 with a PC (although I see it is now discontinued).

Based on the reviews at remote central, I’m thinking the MX500 (with irclone) is actually the best of the 3. Unless the extra macro facilities of the MX700 are very useful (I thought the MX500 probably had enough, but until you try, I guess you don’t know).

Can anyone (particularly owners) say which of the extra functions in the MX700 (and possibly URC 200) are really useful, or if the MX500 is better in practical terms.

or… is there a better remote altogether (not including touch screens)

Thanks

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've just ordered a URC-200, chosing it over the MX-500 due to the fact that the MX-500 shares a number of menu keys with the transport controls and the thumbpad can be hard to use.