1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX350 v REL Q400

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dom Rice, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one of these subs is better? I have a RELQ400 but have been offered a MX350 at a good price.

What are the differences/benefits of speding lots more cash?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the M&K MX-350THX.

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard the M&K in action and its an absolute power beast. A real deep room shaker. The demo room was huge and it filled the area. That subsonic bass feeling.

However, Uncle Eric will no doubt add comments about the distortion rates in comaprison to Velodyne products. :D :devil:

4. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a MX-70B and that has only got 8" drivers, but boy it can kick. God only knows what 2 x 12" drivers in this configuration will do! :smashin:

If you don't take him up on the offer, could you put him on to me? :D

SMP

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom, how much can you get one for? - think they're ~£2100 new. Also new version out (MK II) with probably improved innards.

6. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been offered one (ex-demo) for £1750. Does this sound like a fair deal?

Dont know how much its been used or how old it is at the moment. But it does come from reputable dealer.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dom,
    Depending on the 350's condition, that is a good deal. Also, the M&K is in a different class altogether compared to the Rel 400.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try to knock it down to £1650. Is it the Mark I or Mark II version?

Does it come with 1 year dealer warranty, and 10 year M&K warranty?

E-mail M&K regarding what the differences are between the revisions.

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K's warranty periods are 5 years for subwoofers and 10 years for speakers . Active speakers are 5 years.

10. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would these subs work well together, or would it be better to sell the REL if I decide to go ahead with the M&K?

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom,
    Best bet is to get shot of the Rel

12. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes baby yes!

Take the MK, been around a while (more often than not a good sign in itself) but is still top tier IMHO.
    As Eric has said (but not so judiciously) one might consider the Rel a bit of a "fart box" by comparison (as my local Sevenoaks dealer friend so eloquently put once).

To make that PERFECTLY clear, the Rel is not the match (or all that close) to the M.K.

I have "played with/borrowed" both (one quite recently) and REALLY enjoyed the M.k (although didn't think it had much to offer past 20hz - the Rel however didn't want to know much past 30hz - surprise surpise!)

The MK350 has a real heritage and if those are the two you have to choose from then it's "a no brainer"

The MK will also have reasonable resale value.

Steve.

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, that's not right surely. The Rel Quake goes down to 15Hz :eek: :D :laugh:

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Eric.

I see you have sucumbed to the same debilitating "forgot a zero" syndrome that has afflicted all Rel handbooks/reviews for many years now.

steve.

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or "add a zero" regarding PMPO classifation.

16. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really enjoy all this praises you guys have about M&K MX-350 as I have one for sale here.

This sub was always an excellent performer. Mine is Mk 1. I don't know what improvements are made in Mk.2, but the price saving over ex-demo model is substantial.

17. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Link does not work matey

18. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Branxx

What did you replace it with? (is there a certain inevitability in this question/answer!!)
    How does "it" IYO compare to the MK350?

Steve

19. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The link should work now.

Steve,
    I am not replacing MX-350. Just reducing their count. I have recently bought and all around active M&K setup with balanced connections (including the sub). So I have too many of them (if one can ever have too many).

20. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm surprised no-one had mentioned this yet but although £1750/£1650 is a good price and the MX350 is a fine sub, you are talking about HGS15 money here.

I was in a similar position in that I was offered a brand new REL Stentor III for £1600 but, after speaking with Nic Rhodes, opted for the HGS15 and I haven't looked back.

Also according to some, the cheaper CHT15 would be more than a match for the MX350 and for the money you are talking about you could get a pair of CHT15's (or 3 Paradigm Servo 15's!!).

Matt.

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Matt F

Indeed so, but the chap did mention the Rel and M.K.
    As per usual certain parties on this thread have displayed the upmost professional integrity in NOT diverting the point in question.

Steve.

Dom

P.S that it has now been said it may well be worth your while speaking to Eric, who doubtless has the sort of sub you are after (you won't have to look to hard here to see what others have had to say on similar quests)

22. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting the picture with regard to which one to keep.

What would be a fair price to sell the REL Q400 for? Its in mint condition and is 1.5-2 years old at most. Cost £1000 new.

23. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tken delivery of the mx350 for a test drive. plugged it in last night and wow!!!!!

The first scenes in attack of the clones when the silver ship lands sounds fantastic. The sub really fills the room which is it large (25ft*15ft).

Initial impressions are that im well impressed.

As it is on loan I can return it. So im going to look at the power buys on the velodyn hgs15 as these are rated by people higher than the mx350!

Can the velodyn be much better than the m&K?

24. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dom - you will find that a number of people who have done the comparison actually rate the cheaper Velodyne CHT15 as equal to or better than the MX350. The specs of the CHT15 (15" cone, 350 watt amp) would suggest it would be a good match for the MX350.

The HGS15 with it's monster 1250 watt amp should be in a different league - it should play just as deep and loud as the MX350 (if not deeper and louder) but the big deal is it's incredibly low distortion.

It's the low distortion that is the key and it is strange when you hear a sub like this for the first time because your initial impression is "it's not that bassy" then you realise that it is actually playing all the deep notes but there is no overhang or "boominess". This is certainly what I noticed when I first fired up my HGS15 - I was almost disappointed to start with because I was expecting more of what my previous subs had done but then I realised what all the fuss is about low distortion subs and the rest is history.

Matt.

25. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up-Date,
    Branxx popped over last week and brought over a great PC based front end to try out in my demo room. Interesting stuff indeed..
    Suffice to say since his visit. Branxx has added another sub to his system and I think he likes it :)

26. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With 2 x MX-350 and HGS-18 its time to sell a few.

My total amplification in the cinema room is now 5.27KW. The electricity bill may explode, but the sound is so nice.

HGS-18 does create seismic movements and I had to tone it down. On the other hand the melodic sound of MX-350 is something that I find really enjoyable. They don’t move the earth in the same way HGS-18 does, but for music I still like them.

The HGS-18 in my system is connected for only LFE effect, while the MX-350’s are in the stereo subwoofer mode (as per Lexicon MC-12B set-up), so the HGS-18 gets active only for genuine surround music like DTS CD, SACD or DVD-Audio.

27. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Branxx,
    I'd really like to see you experimenting with just the single HGS-18 connected to the Sub L output of the Lex in order to compare musicallity with your existing 350's. Right now, in just LFE mode you're tying it's hands in that Godzilla is only doing the earth moving stuff for you.

Let it show you what it can do for underpinning all 7 channels. I think you'll be shocked.

Take 2 pills, add two more HGS-18 and call me in the morning.
    Sub L/R and LFE HGS-18 style, whooo :eek: