MX revolution or wired mouse?

Juliesinar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've decided to get a new mouse, I have a powermac and I have previously had an Apple mighty mouse, which had lots of problems with scrolling as the little ball would frequently stopp working.

As a replacement I bought a Microsoft comfort optical mouse 3000, which I've never really been very keen on but it works pretty well, but is quite basic.

I've decided to invest in a new mouse and I really like the look and spec of the Logitech MX revolution, and PC World have it on offer at £45 at the moment which seems a decent price, however I've never had a wireless mouse, and don't particularly want one and was wondering if there was something equivalent that was wired?

The reason I'm not keen on a wireless mouse it that I'd have to make sure it kept charged up, and I'm assuming the cradle would need to be plugged into the mains, and I could do without any more mains cables, my other concern is that my Power Mac is in a different room to my monitor/keyboard and mouse. I run an usb extension cable and hub to connect my keyboard to, I connect my USB mouse to the keyboard.

Does anyone know if the wireless usb dongle from the mouse would either work in another room, so I could connect it to my Power mac, or in a USB hub about 8 meters from the Mac, also the USB extension cable is only USB 1.0, so I'm not sure if the wireless USB thing for the mouse would need USB 2.0.

I will be using the mouse for everyday computing and also photoshop.

Sorry if it sounds a bit complicated, I think a wired mouse would be easier, but I really like the look of the MX revolution, any suggestions appreciated, thanks for reading,

Julie

The MX Revolution is a superb mouse, had mine about a year now and I hate using the 'normal' mice at work now.

To answer your questions, the cradle does need to be plugged into the mains. I've got a lot of things plugged in so one more didn't hurt.

The dongle for the MX is tiny; could you not plug that into the hub on your keyboard that you have been using for the wired mouse?

I use the mouse for a whole range of things, including gaming, photoshop (intricate detail photo editing) and everyday use. It's a very comfortable and accurate mouse.

On the cradle thing, I find that I rarely have to charge the mouse. And that's without making sure I switch it off every night as well. It holds the charge well.

Logitech MX revolution i have this mouse it is class i use it playing th bf2142 bf2 tf2 and get no lag and you can use this software i am posting to unlock all buttons in game for shourt cuts to weapons so you can use all 13 buttons

http://www.mstar.net/users/rlowens/

for £45 it is a good deal and i had mine well over a year and had no trouble at all even dropped a few times

also get your self a razor exactmat and your mouse will be miles more accurate and smoother (if you play games that is)

The reason I'm not keen on a wireless mouse it that I'd have to make sure it kept charged up
The MX Revolution can hold a charge for a week or two unless you use the hyperscroll feature, in which case I think half a week is an absolute minimum.
Does anyone know if the wireless usb dongle from the mouse would either work in another room, so I could connect it to my Power mac, or in a USB hub about 8 meters from the Mac, also the USB extension cable is only USB 1.0, so I'm not sure if the wireless USB thing for the mouse would need USB 2.0.

I bet it would work from another room but doubt it would work with USB 1.

I got a MX Revolution and took it back after a day, it seemed to me to go into either a sleep mode or just lagged a lot when I was playing WoW,and yes I did charge it up over night, Ive now reverted to my wired mouse and think I will stick with it. Tbh it may have been a faulty mouse I dont know but for now Im happy with my old mouse.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom