• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MX revolution or wired mouse?

Juliesinar

Hi,

I've decided to get a new mouse, I have a powermac and I have previously had an Apple mighty mouse, which had lots of problems with scrolling as the little ball would frequently stopp working.

As a replacement I bought a Microsoft comfort optical mouse 3000, which I've never really been very keen on but it works pretty well, but is quite basic.

I've decided to invest in a new mouse and I really like the look and spec of the Logitech MX revolution, and PC World have it on offer at £45 at the moment which seems a decent price, however I've never had a wireless mouse, and don't particularly want one and was wondering if there was something equivalent that was wired?

The reason I'm not keen on a wireless mouse it that I'd have to make sure it kept charged up, and I'm assuming the cradle would need to be plugged into the mains, and I could do without any more mains cables, my other concern is that my Power Mac is in a different room to my monitor/keyboard and mouse. I run an usb extension cable and hub to connect my keyboard to, I connect my USB mouse to the keyboard.

Does anyone know if the wireless usb dongle from the mouse would either work in another room, so I could connect it to my Power mac, or in a USB hub about 8 meters from the Mac, also the USB extension cable is only USB 1.0, so I'm not sure if the wireless USB thing for the mouse would need USB 2.0.

I will be using the mouse for everyday computing and also photoshop.

Sorry if it sounds a bit complicated, I think a wired mouse would be easier, but I really like the look of the MX revolution, any suggestions appreciated, thanks for reading,

Julie

The MX Revolution is a superb mouse, had mine about a year now and I hate using the 'normal' mice at work now.

To answer your questions, the cradle does need to be plugged into the mains. I've got a lot of things plugged in so one more didn't hurt.

The dongle for the MX is tiny; could you not plug that into the hub on your keyboard that you have been using for the wired mouse?

I use the mouse for a whole range of things, including gaming, photoshop (intricate detail photo editing) and everyday use. It's a very comfortable and accurate mouse.

On the cradle thing, I find that I rarely have to charge the mouse. And that's without making sure I switch it off every night as well. It holds the charge well.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Logitech MX revolution i have this mouse it is class i use it playing th bf2142 bf2 tf2 and get no lag and you can use this software i am posting to unlock all buttons in game for shourt cuts to weapons so you can use all 13 buttons

http://www.mstar.net/users/rlowens/

for £45 it is a good deal and i had mine well over a year and had no trouble at all even dropped a few times

also get your self a razor exactmat and your mouse will be miles more accurate and smoother (if you play games that is)

Time

The reason I'm not keen on a wireless mouse it that I'd have to make sure it kept charged up
The MX Revolution can hold a charge for a week or two unless you use the hyperscroll feature, in which case I think half a week is an absolute minimum.
Does anyone know if the wireless usb dongle from the mouse would either work in another room, so I could connect it to my Power mac, or in a USB hub about 8 meters from the Mac, also the USB extension cable is only USB 1.0, so I'm not sure if the wireless USB thing for the mouse would need USB 2.0.

I bet it would work from another room but doubt it would work with USB 1.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I got a MX Revolution and took it back after a day, it seemed to me to go into either a sleep mode or just lagged a lot when I was playing WoW,and yes I did charge it up over night, Ive now reverted to my wired mouse and think I will stick with it. Tbh it may have been a faulty mouse I dont know but for now Im happy with my old mouse.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom