1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX-500 Universal Remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Jingy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have/tried one of these MX-500 remotes. They have got really good review in the US but as far as I know are only avaiable through the following retailer.

http://www.minshulloak.com/theatre.htm:confused:

:confused:

2. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was also very impressed by the reviews - even decided the wife would be able to manage using it. But not prepared to spend over £100 on the back of a US review.

But things may change if get fed up with kids hiding various remotes down side of chairs......

3. mjk

mjk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an MX-700 coming in a couple of weeks. Can provide feedback on build quality, etc.

Martin

4. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am thinking of the MX500 model. MX700 looks fantastic but the price is very expensive.

Would appreciate any reports when you get it.

5. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had an MX500 for about 2 years now, and I love it. It doesn't control my Pace STB and getting it to do parity signals for my Wharfedale 750S DVD player was some effort but otherwise, no problems. It gets through a lot of batteries (new set every 6 months) but has great build quality. I've dropped it more times than I can count, but it's never complained.

I've never liked touch screen remotes. I like to grope for my buttons while watching TV but the labelable hard buttons are a perfect solution. Eject and Menu hard buttons would be nice, and the lack of red/green/yellow/blue buttons for UK users is annoying, but overall I'd definitely recommend it.

I did correspond with Univeral Remote about the Pace and Wharfedale problems and they were very helpful. They asked if I could send the remotes for them to look at, but I couldn't do without them for that long. I'm pretty sure they mentioned they were getting a UK distributer. Email them and ask.

6. mjk

mjk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I now have my MX-700, and I am well pleased with it.

Build quality is excellent, and it feels pretty ergonomic. The nice thing about it is that it does have a reasonable number of discrete on/off codes for some of my devices which means that I no longer have to operate in point-and-pray mode quite as much.

You can only program it with the help of a PC - it won't learn codes unless it is connected to its configuration program - which could be a problem for some people.

As I understand it, the MX-500 is similar in construction, and not as programmable, but doesn't need a PC in order to make it work. On the basis of what I have seen so far, I would definitely recommend it. The quality shines through and if you want "real" buttons then this is a very good product.
    I assume you have read the review at http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

No if only there was a way of transferring configuration info from the 700 ....

7. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out http://www.irclone.com. You can currently back up and restore your MX500. The upcoming editor software will be able to enter discrete codes and reorganise your setup. Sweet.

8. Salamander

Salamander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    cjdshaw

Noticed your comment on not being able to control pace STB on MX-500.

I too have this remote - (impoted from US) - I think it's great
    never had any issue leaning differeing remotes - I clreared out
    all orinal signals etc and cloned all remotes individually.

I have the Pace SKY+ STB - which the MX500 operates fine - but
    I guess you may have a different one.

Nearly got a pronto - but glad I did'nt - seems a minor point - but
    having to look at what your pressing every time isn't necessary
    on a hard buttoned remote such as this.

Regs

9. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's the infamous 1000 series cable box. It uses a variant of IrDA for remote control so virtually no universal remote will work (http://www.remotecentral.com/features/premotes.htm#pace).
    I'm fed up with Telewest though. As soon as I can arrange access to my roof, I'll be getting Sky+
    If anyone's interested, there is an upcoming product to get round the Pace IrDA problem problem. It's called the Red Eye and it converts RC6 signals to IrDA. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/electricstuff//redeye/

10. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for the mx500

Had mine for about a month - well pleased with it.

Only thing its had problems with is the TIVO standby button - for some reason it just wont learn it.

The MX500 reminds me of the beloved Marantz RC2000 Mk 2 but with a few subtle improvements.

Am well impressed.

11. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can back these guys also. Had it for atleast a year and works a treat. I love the light button and how it shines at night! :)