1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX-500 in the UK under £100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Mr Andrew, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mr Andrew

Mr Andrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found this site selling them for £98

http://www.fpsgamer.co.uk/hcinema/MX-500.htm

I have a few questions:

Has anyone bought one and happy with it?
    Has anyone used it in the UK and it has worked on their UK based systems?
    Anyone used this retailer before?

Thanks

Andrew

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Superb remote - works fine on UK equipment.

I paid £115 for mine - so for £98 - go for it!

3. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like a URC to control my ...

Denon AVR-2802 AV Amp
    Pioneer DV350 DVD
    Arcam Alpha One CD
    Philips 32PW6006 TV
    Amstrad Sky-Digital Box
    Panasonic NVHD660B VCR

The MX-500 looks like a good starting point. Anyone know which of these devices (would/would not) be covered by the MX500 preprogrammed database?

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Denon receivers are in there and I useit to control my 3802.

But to be honest I find it quicker and easier to programme the codes in via the learn function. This means you can set it up exactly how you want it.

Best remote I've ever used - a worthy successor to my trusty old Marantz RC2000 mk II.

5. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guessed the Denon would be there - it is the others than concern me as these model numbers seem to be European not US and URCs seem to like quoting US model numbers and ignoring us Europeans!

6. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one - extremely happy with it. Have managed to program all 6 devices with only one problem unresolved. Preset codes good for a starting point, but used learn a lot.

But it's easy to learn, took me about 10 minutes to completely programme all the codes from the Sky digibox to it, and that included thinking about the layout!!!

7. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered one from FPSGamer, sent off a cheque last Saturday and received the unit yesterday (ie a week later). I haven't set it up yet though.

With postage the total cost came to just over £104.

8. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I too have just received one (last week) from fpsgamer (great price + service btw), and it's every bit as good as I expected. I once had a much loved Marantz RC2000mk2 and it's very similar to that (but better IMHO). I also ordered an IRClone because I liked the idea of being able to set it up from a PC (without shelling out for the MX700). I'm a long-time Philips Pronto owner and I wanted a hard-buttoned remote to compliment it.

To anyone thinking of getting a MX500, at £98, it's a steal. Excellent piece of kit.

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i played wityh the mx700 in the US recently and i loved it! i have an rc5200 at the moment, but i would much prefer the combination of hard buttons and screen. at that price, i think the mx500 is great value for money (IMHO)

10. Rande

Rande
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I ordered one from there yesterday...guess I shouldn't hold my breath for it to be delivered today then.
    I'm really hoping it does everything I need it to. I've tried 2 universal remotes before and they just didn't do enough for me to get rid of all my other remotes.

11. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Altho' it has problems with parity bits (ie my Philips TV) I have wored around that - the only system remote I keep now is the AV Amp, and only use it for advanced functions such as setup - the MX-500 does EVERYTHING I need day to day ... good luck with yours!

And I could use the MX500 for advanced functions - just have not bothered to teach the commands (yet) ...

12. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am a long time owner of a Marantz RC2000 MK2 and the only complaint I have is that the LCD characters have got smaller over the last few years ;) Looking at the pictures of the MX500, can I assume the LCD characters are much bigger?

I would be very interested in hearing from you guys that have previously owned the Marantz RC2000 MK2 or MK1 to understand the real advantages over the older Marantz before I shell out for this new beast as my Marantz is still working fine, I just wish my eyes worked as well!

Chris

13. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Loada

You mentioned that you thought the MX500 is better than the Marantz RC2000mk2. Would you mind sharing the reasons?

Chris

14. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Well, it's quite similar to the RC2000 in some ways (LCD layout etc) but the cursor pad is a lot better and the remote is lighter and easier to hold IMHO.
    I do miss the RC2000 feature that turned the backlight on automatically when you pressed a key (you have to press the "LIGHT" key manually on the MX500) but the MX500 backlight is better although it doesn't have the nice fade effect the RC2000 did.

They perform similarly in operation but I think the MX500 is just a nicer product all round. Button placement is a lot better on the MX500 which was one of the major problems I had with the RC2000. Also, you can backup the MX500 to a PC (via IRClone ) which works really well.

Hope that helps - is there anything specific you wanted to know?

15. Rande

Rande
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine in the mail yesterday. Works well.
    However, now I have the horrible task of trying to find discrete codes for the devices so I can properly macro it.
    The ones I tried from remotecentral didn't work :(

Looks like I'm going to have to use things like IRTool and ProntoUtil to load up lots and lots of possible codes and then use my PDA to learn it into the MX-500 once I've found ones that work.
    At least I'm really really hoping that my Philips TV and Sony STR-DE445 receiver have discrete codes in them somewhere....*cross fingers*

16. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Loada

I guess my biggest question relates to the text size on the MX500 display. The pictures on the web show the LCD being very clear versus the not so clear RC2000. Do you think the MX-500 is easier to read?

Do you find it frustrating having to use the main button to get back to the input select page? The RC2000 as you know uses a direct key to select input and LCD pages and has 4 pages of 8 keys versus the MX-500 with 2 pages of 10 keys.

The IRClone looks expensive for what is does, backing up should not be required as it has the same flash non volatile memory as the RC2000 but the programming software would be nice.

I think that I could be pushed to go for the MX-700 If you give me positive feedback on the display as it would only be about £50 over and above an MX-500+IRClone and I understand that the MX-700 is going to come down in price when it's offered without the SideKick!

Chris

17. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    In my opinion, the MX-500 LCD display is better than the RC2000, especially the blue blacklight effect (in the dark). Pressing the [MAIN] key to toggle devices isn't really an issue for me as I don't tend to swap devices very often.

IRClone is very useful and works well. Although you have flash memory, you can edit much easier on a PC and it's nice to have the whole thing backed up, just in case. I've written a tool to convert Pronto (CCF) IR codes over to IRClone format so that opens up a whole wealth of discrete and learnt codes from the Pronto community, but you need an IRClone device to take advantage of that. This alone makes it more powerful than the MX-700 IMHO, although the MX-700 has more device pages (4 per device instead of 2) and can have macros on any button.

I looked at the MX-700 and then decided to go with the MX-500 with the IRClone. I'm happy I've made the right choice but it really depends on how complicated your system setup is. The MX-500 should be ok for all but the most monster setups.

18. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks again Loada for the additional info, Reading the RC2000 LCD in the dark is the killer problem for me and it probably won't be long before reading it in daylight becomes an issue too ;)

Decisions decisions, I really don't think I need more than two pages per device. I think I will wait and see how the MX-700 looks after the price drop.

Cheers

Chris

19. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45