MX-5?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by chrism_scotland, Jun 16, 2015.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Folks,

Looking for a little help - I'm looking to get something a bit different seen as mycurrent Qashqai looks like becoming my wifes car!
    I've always fancied an MX5 and now's probably the time to dabble before threes any kids (or puppies!) I'm probably looking to spend around £6-7K but I wondered what that sort of cash would actually get me when it comes to an MX5?

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Plenty of choice here

MX-5 is a cracking basic sports car, it's not fast, but it is fun.

3. Bubblin

Bubblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Just check for rust in the engine compartment,common problem with older mx-5s, the water sits and doesn't drain on the inner wings.

4. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Given the budget I'd also look at a Z4. When i had my Z4 before I test drove both back to back, a 2.0i Sport MX5 and a 2.0i Z4.
    Negatives on the MX5 were it was a hard ride and cramped in the cabin, I just didn't feel comfortable, other than that very nice car.
    Looks wise the Z4 wins every time for me, the MX5 is just to girly looking.

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Or look at a Honda S2000, though be quick as prices are rising.

6. Rob8980

Rob8980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Another vote for the S2000. Cracking car

7. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    I'd say it's an acquired taste, one I don't have.

A friend had one and I drove it a few times. When you were in the mood for it it was fantastic, the way the engine just revs out to 9000rpm and the scream as it does can be very addictive. However I found that the other 95% of the time it would do my head in. The ride was very harsh, the engine had no torque low down, if you didn't rev it it was gutless. The handling was a bit twitchy.

Overall it's a very nice looking package and a great looking small sports car, but it doesn't do it for me.

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    I do agree with that, but it is worth noting that 95% of the time you are stuck behind someone else, so having a relaxing drive (non-VTEC) actually makes a lot of sense.

Mine pulls happily from 30mph in 5th gear, and has no problem keeping up with traffic doing that. 6th is more than fine for motorway use.

The handling of the later models (which is what the OP would be looking at budget-wise) is much less twitchy. It was only the very early examples that required the driver to have some skill.

9. Teddy Windsor

Teddy Windsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I’m probably 20 years further down the road from you, but after my limited experience (fingers still crossed) I’d thoroughly recommend an MX5.

Had a hankering for one for years – they remind me of the “dream cars” of my youth … MGs, Spitfires and Elans. With the first of my offspring due to leave home in September for university and a new job to commute to, I figured it was time to do something frivolous for once.

Heard my mother-in-law’s neighbour was selling one after a change of circumstances – genuine hairdresser’s car and she’d been the only owner since a Mazda dealership had pre-registered it.

It was a black 2007 with 30,000 miles on the clock, full service history and garaged most of its life. They wanted £6k; I offered £5.5k (still a top price but I was prepared to pay a bit more because the sellers were very genuine), which they accepted to avoid the hassle of advertisements and tyre-kickers.

It feels like driving a mini E-type – all curves, a power bulge, low to the ground and black dials with white needles. Gear change is sublime, steering is very direct and it makes driving fun again. I’ve had it about a month and have already put 2,000 miles on it. While economy isn’t great (fuel gauge is a bit vague but I reckon I could get 350 miles from a tank) it’s not too horrendous considering I’m driving through two cities with a blast down an A-road in-between.

Ironically I’m generally travelling more slowly than in my old Vauxhall Zafira (which my wife has inherited as the family car) and a lot more traffic is passing me on major roads, but the noise is great … engine burbling away and two exhaust pipes just a few feet behind your head. Takes me back to my youth and reminds me I actually used to enjoy driving.

Mine is a Mk3 with a 2.0-litre engine – it’s the base model, not the Sport, so no lowered suspension, air con (which can apparently cause yet more damp problems) or six-speed gearbox. However it seems roomier than some other MX5s I’ve sat in, which I put down to the basic (i.e. thin!) roof and fabric seats – I’m 6’2” and couldn’t get comfortable in a tin-top with full leather.

It puts out a relatively measly 160bhp and the only time the traction control lights up is pulling out of side roads in the wet. It’s not particularly fast, but it pulls really well in virtually any gear at any speed. Getting the top down (which is so quick and easy it can be done at traffic lights) always puts a smile on my face and adds 20mph too!

If I can get three relatively trouble-free years I’ll be well chuffed (I will probably have to get a few rust spots under the rear arches looked at some point this summer). Anything else will be a bonus. Heard a lot of horror stories about rot which is why I didn’t bother looking at anything older – I’m not particularly practical, but I’ll be endeavouring to at least keep the drains clean and have bought a trombone cleaner in preparation. It’s already been out in a couple of prolonged downpours (another great British summer) and there have been no leaks so far. I’ll also try to garage it over the winter.

In years gone by, when I used to work on a local newspaper, I drove Z4s and an S2000 – nice cars but almost too sophisticated and powerful for my puritanical tastes … and somehow less involving.

I did a bit of research before I took the plunge – for £7k I’d be trying to get a decent 2008 or 2009 MX5. If you get lucky you might be able to get a nice Mk3.5 Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015