MW3 freeze up, game won't load

dazwaldo

Never had any problems like this but all of a sudden tonight i've had regular freeze ups and now I can't get the game to start up at all.

I think the disc sounds like it's stuttering, I was managing to get a few games and then it would freeze at the end of a match. But now I can't even get past the main menu.

Ive tried taking the disc out and cleaning it but not joy. Any ideas? Have I got some corrupt data, or is it the drive/disc?

willywinker

My game just went black and wouldnt load back up. Could hear the disc spinning but still black. Tried blops which was fine then put mw3 back in and it worked.

dazwaldo

Just tried black ops and same problem, choose multiplayer from main menu and screen goes black and ps3 freezes up. Oh dear this doesn't mean my system is hosed does it?

willywinker

Not sure mate? dont sound good though :thumbsdwn:

lee667

Distinguished Member
Phat ps3 by any chance?

willywinker

Time to rejig your list to santa... Its not too late

dazwaldo

So it looks like it's either the long painful process of a repair or replace with a new slim. I can pick up a 160gb for £180 and I'm guessing the repair won't be cheap plus the thought of being without PS3 for games and blu-rays over Christmas is not filling me with much joy.

willywinker

Exact same happened to me last year a month before xmas and i went for a pre owned 120 gig and xmas got my boy the same and they have sailed through this year. Thinking about it i feel a bit dirty handing my boy something 2nd hand for xmas :D

I looked into the repair side and it would have been 80 plus a drive to and fro and thought it too much hassle. Its a bit like keeping a knackered old banger going when you could at not too much of a stretch buy the new shape model.

Them dirty grease monkeys know you will be back ;)

dazwaldo

Exact same happened to me last year a month before xmas and i went for a pre owned 120 gig and xmas got my boy the same and they have sailed through this year. Thinking about it i feel a bit dirty handing my boy something 2nd hand for xmas :D

I looked into the repair side and it would have been 80 plus a drive to and fro and thought it too much hassle. Its a bit like keeping a knackered old banger going when you could at not too much of a stretch buy the new shape model.

Them dirty grease monkeys know you will be back ;)

yeah time to send my fat PS3 to the graveyard in the sky :(

willywinker

I didnt have anything on mine apart from stuff off the psn store which i just redownloaded to the new ps3.

You can still play games from psn or watch lovemovies if you have it or stream films to your phat. Just because the drive has gone doesnt make it dead.

lee667

Distinguished Member
I take it it's fairly straight forward to copy my data from old PS3 to new?

yeah, it's pretty straighforward. Although if you have any protected save game files then they won't copy iirc.

PlayStation

As long as the PS3 turns on, you'll have to do a Data Transfer from old PS3 to new PS3 and everything will be the same.

dazwaldo

I didnt have anything on mine apart from stuff off the psn store which i just redownloaded to the new ps3.

You can still play games from psn or watch lovemovies if you have it or stream films to your phat. Just because the drive has gone doesnt make it dead.

no room in my house for 2 PS3s!

I guess I will just transfer over the bits I need, probably saved games I need the most.

dazwaldo

Just had one last try just in case but got as far as mw3 map loading screen and then freeze! Oh well looks like a trip to amazon is on the cards.

JDWT88

Novice Member
Dazwaldo, my kids put money in the drive, and used a spoon to try and get it out, and the drive stopped accepting disc's. I found out if I held the PS3 upside down then the drive took the disc and played it. Then a couple of days later it stopped reading them altogether so I went around a few places asking prices and a couple of shops said if it was just the laser then it was only £45-£55 depending on the model, phat 40gb, so it might be worth your while to do the rounds at local shops to get a decent price.

If you're in Glasgow let me know and I'll tell you the shops :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom