MW2 Mosh Pit Thread – Objective Tips, Tactics & Discussion

Have been playing a lot of Mosh Pit lately and have found it surprisingly enjoyable (as well as good for XP). Unfortunately I'm the guy who asks ‘what are the rules again' at the beginning of each game :thumbsup:.

We normally do alright with a lobby full of AVF, but a few times we've come up against a reasonably organised team and they've really found us out! I'm not suggesting we set up a clan with strict rules and practice sessions. I'd just like to hear some of your tactics so I can get a better idea of how to approach the objective games.

So post your tips and tactics here and I'll update the first post and credit you in brackets. General, gametype specific, guns, perks, equipment, killstreak rewards; all tips welcome (however obvious you may think they are).

IF YOU FIND ANY OF THIS INFORMATION USEFUL, PLEASE TRY TO LEAVE THANKS TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER CREDITED FOR THAT PARTICULAR PIECE ADVICE

MAPS & AREA CALLOUTS ADDED TO THE SECOND POST BELOW

Also if you want to play some Mosh Pit and i don't already have you on my friends list, feel free to send me a FR (send a msg with AVF in, as i seem to get a lot of random FR requests playing MW2)

Gametypes In Mosh Pit & Their Rules

Capture the Flag - Capture the enemy's flag and bring it back to your own flag site to score. You can't score if the enemy also has your flag; you or someone on your team must kill their flag carrier, and return your flag before you can score (by standing over it for a few seconds). There is no score limit. The team with the most flags captured within the time limit wins. In the event of a draw, teams enter ‘overtime'. During overtime, the first team to touch the enemy's flag wins the game.

Demolition - Teams must attack or defend two bomb sites. All attacking team members are in possession of a bomb and can plant at either site. Both bomb sites must be destroyed for you to win the round. If a bomb is defused, another bomb can be planted. Defending players spawn close to bomb sites, attacking players DO NOT. Consider Tactical Insertion when attacking.

If after both teams have attacked and defended the score is a draw, the game is decided by a third round. The defending team in the third round have a massive advantage, as one site is usually very easy to defend.

Domination - There are three flags that can continuously be captured by each team. If you hold one flag you get 1 point every 5 seconds, 2points every 5seconds for 2 flags & finally 3 points every 5 seconds for ‘dominating'/holding three flags. The first team to 200 points wins the match.

Players with quick maths skills can calculate how many flags are needed to pull back a losing score in time, or maintain a relatively substantial lead up until 200 points limit is reached.

Headquarters - A Headquarters site is randomly selected and can be captured by either team. There is a 30 second delay between the site of headquarters being announced (by waypoint), and it coming ‘online' (i.e. when you are able to capture it). Once the headquarters is captured, the capturing team will accrue points until it is destroyed by the opposition. Members of the team defending a captured headquarters cannot respawn until the headquarters is destroyed. Once this happens a new headquarters is selected at random and the process is repeated until the score limit of 200 is reached

Search & Destroy
- One bomb must be planted and detonated at one of two bombsites. Teams attack for 3 rounds and defend for 3 rounds. There are NO RESPAWNS. Plant & detonate the bomb or kill the entire opposition team to win the round. If the defending team defuses a planted bomb they win the round, even if there are opposition team members remaining. Scoring is best of six, so if a team reaches 4 points the game ends.

Sabotage - A centrally located bomb can be obtained by either team and planted at the enemy's bomb site (by their spawn). Opposition bomb carriers are highlighted by an overhead ‘KILL' flag (which has a slight delay). If a bomb carrier is killed or a bomb is defused, the bomb remains in that location until it is picked up by either team (it does reset if it isn't picked up, but this rarely happens). First team to successfully detonate a bomb win the game. HECTIC!

General Objective Game Tips & Tactics

Communication, communication and communication! Oh and team work, always helps when you play with people you know/played with before.
(Scanz)

At least one person should have Stinger, RPG, or Javelin as their secondary (preferably 2 people). Air support should be shot down immediately. Games can be decided on killstreak rewards, ruin someone's day :)
(Bowders & Schrogeek)

Plant C4 on objectives and detonate when it becomes apparent there are enemies capturing/planting etc…

Double Tap X to quick detonate C4.
(safc_dan)

You can either press RB (slow) or double tap X (quick) - both work for detonating C4.
(Kavanf1)

A decent knowledge of locations on the maps so that if you get killed somewhere, the rest of the team knows the general area. For example, the playground in Favella, the embassy in Invasion or the petrol station on rundown, bunker in afghan...
(Bowders)

Use smoke grenades. They may know someone's around the bomb site but if you have a smoke down you can plant the bomb and leg it to cover before they know what's happened. Note: Toss smoke, pause for a second or two and then go. If you are confident in your abilities have a Pavelow/CG/AC130 enabled. If you can get it by defending an objective about half of your opponents will hide indoors with the rest running outside to their swift deaths whilst your team captures the objective. Especially helpful on bomb gametypes.
(The Bass)

Killstreaks, as we all play our games by trying to get objectives and not play them like TDM i found a great setup is UAV, Care package and either pred or harrier.
Its not likely that any of us are going to go to 11 kills without camping it out or playing very well, a care package can throw up anything and a decent reward such as an AC130 or pavelow can be devastating on objective based games, UAV's are so useful in this case as well as you know exactly where everyone is
(safc_dan)

On the subject of claymores, if you find one, try to find another way past. It could be a random one, but it could also mean there's someone lurking around. Shooting it will alert them that you're in the vicinity.

If sneaking around, avoid contact with large groups of enemies unless you are sure that you can take them all down. This may mean letting them run past you and picking them off from behind. Dirty tactic I know, but do you think the enemy will be as polite if it was you?

Listen out for the footsteps of the enemy. Also be aware that if you're running around without Ninja Pro, you will make noise! Try to keep crouched as it also makes you a smaller, less obvious target.

Kill cams, there are two things you can do with them. They last for about four seconds - now, most people will skip them out of annoyance, but people do watch them. First, you kill someone and count to four to not give them an idea of your next move. The second option is to kill them and move in one direction while counting to four, and then go your intended route.
(Bowders)

Claymores: if someone kills you and you have a claymore laid in the general vicinity that you think they might run past after they killed you, make sure you watch the killcam. Your claymores stay active until you hit X or the killcam ends, whichever comes first. I've got a few sneaky post-death kills by anticipating when an enemy is going to run past my claymore and watching the killcam to make sure it gets them.
(Kavanf1)

Set your load out amounst the team to suit each players role (i know this sounds a bit Clan mad do as your told type of thing) but if some players have claymores, some C4, and others Blast shied you see where i'm going with this, Its not something i've really seen any one do, but surely if some will defend, others attack and some protect the objective "Scorer" then its better team work.
(Yennil1)

Capture The Flag

Capture the enemy's flag and bring it back to your own flag site to score. You can't score if the enemy also has your flag; you or someone on your team must kill their flag carrier, and return your flag before you can score (by standing over it for a few seconds). There is no score limit. The team with the most flags captured within the time limit wins. In the event of a draw, teams enter ‘overtime'. During overtime, the first team to touch the enemy's flag wins the game.

First recon class is a must because you get the UMP and obviously the speed to run off with the flag.

Travelling in pairs to get the enemy flag is good for obvious reasons of covering each other, and keeping the flag if your mate dies.
(Richp007)

3 people with light weight and marathon charging in for the flag, when you all came at the same time it was impossible to kill you all before one of you nabbed it and scarpered and then there was no chance of catching you.

One person use tactical insertion and cover the enemies flag. This distracts their defenders and lets the flag carrier escape.

The last two back at the flag looking for people trying to capture, this was the famous 17-nil formation that worked wonders.
(Purple Box)

If you can get a guy defending the enemy flag (sounds strange defending an enemy flag) then basically your team mates can run in and grab it whenever they want.

Once it gets carried to your flag and the point marked up you can nip down from that building and snatch it again before the other team has time to think what is going on. As they say on here...rinse and repeat.
(Mr H Shingles)

You have to have at least 1 person defending the flag. Yesterday when we played for a bit i was happy to do this, planting a claymore on the flag and simply sitting in a spot (yes camping ) where i could clearly see the flag and/or enemies coming to get the flag.

I would also add that attempting to get the enemy flag on your own is pointless. Your be lucky to reach the flag, but to get it and escape with it is quite literally impossible on your own. Always go with at least 2 of you, so if the first carrier dies then the second can pick it up. Ideally i'd say go in as at least a 3.

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to be running marathon and lightweight, but if 2 or 3 of you run it then it definitely helps. Try have someone on your team with tactical insertion and have them plant it near the enemy flag so they can try and pin them back a bit, even if it's just to distract them so 2 or 3 others go and grab the flag. So 3 running marathon and lightweight attacking the flag, 1 defending with claymores and then 1 or 2 (depending if you have a team of 5 or 6) in the middle (between the 2 flags) and/or with TI near the enemy flag.

As for kill streaks i find air strikes particularly helpful on objective modes, so i now have the Stealth Bomber (as well as Harriers) in my kill streak rewards. As for Overtime all you need to do is touch the flag, so have 4 of you rush it and 2 defending.
(Scanz)

Marathon Lightweight dominates here. You can still kill people quickly with a UMPand once you have the flag as long as you weave in and out of cover they can't stop you. Running in pairs with one person staying 10m ahead allows you to see where the first was shot from and take out the enemy before picking the flag and carrying on.

People not keen on rushing can defend their flag but preferably from as far away as possible rather than sitting behind it so that they can help kill people mid map too.
(The Bass)

TI as close as you can to their flag without being seen. Then if you die while carrying flag you will spawn close to their base to pick it up again.
(LuckyNoS7evin)

Smokes are excellent for making a grab on a flag. However if the enemy has planted a claymore on the flag you can still get caught out. If attacking the flag in pairs it can be worth having one with smokes and one with flashbangs to disable any claymores. Shooting claymores is an option but gives away your presence (and position if no silencer).
(Schrogeek)

Demolition

Teams take it in turns to attack or defend two bomb sites. All attacking team members are in possession of a bomb and can plant at either site. Both bomb sites must be destroyed for you to win the round. If a bomb is defused, another bomb can be planted. Defending players spawn close to bomb sites, attacking players DO NOT. Consider Tactical Insertion when attacking.

If after both teams have attacked and defended the score is a draw, the game is decided by a third round. The defending team in the third round have a massive advantage, as one site is usually very easy to defend.

Attacking

All go for one bomb, and then all go for the other. splitting up rarely works in my experience. when you're there you need to smoke the place out and spread out covering all the entry points so the other team can't defuse it. had some great success with AVF'ers on this game. always go for the easy point 1st to get the time extension and build the killstreaks, then assault the hard position with everything you've got!!
(Richp007)

Some maps have positions which are hard to plant (B in Quarry and Invasion) So everyone to B first get that one out the way then plant the easy one at A. Think most maps must have a hard point and an easy one.

I think it works better if 5 go to one site, say B and one decoy goes to A makes as much noise as possible (noob tube, grenade, spray and pray) splitting the defenders into two groups. Making it easier for the 5 to take the real objective.
(Purple Box)

When clock is running down, unless you have totally flanked the team, dont go charging in, carefully attack the point, get people to coordinate attacks, ie someone flanks, flashbangs nades all in in one effort

When defending i find using an LMG works well as you can get the nutters running at you

Try your hardest to keep both points uncaptured, it gets very hard if one point is captured as the time gets to be very long.
(safc_dan)

This is possibly my favourite mode, yet can be one of the most difficult and frustrating. Sometimes it can make sense to go for the most difficult plant (usually B), but then sometimes it's important to get the easiest so you simply add more time.

In terms of tactics it's difficult to come up with any as it's different for every map. Sometimes simply rushing with marathon and lightweight works, then other times it helps to be patient and slowly take over the area of the plant as the defending team will spawn near it, so if you can take control of it (i guess spawn kill...) then your on your way to a win.
(Scanz)

Split into two groups and go to both bombs. Having both planted at once is normally a win. Smokes are essential here and using a tactical insertion is a big help on larger maps so that you don't have to run all the way back after dying at an objective. Speedy runners aren't as much help here as people will often check the bomb sites at the start.
(The Bass)

Defending

It makes no difference to the result unless you take out 'both' targets. so i find picking one to completely defend is the best course of action. (obviously if you spawn close to the other one and someone is trying to bomb it, then try and defend it yeah.)

If you're just defending one you can rack up the kills and get killstreaks in quick too. i find lower rewards for quickness are best. sentry gun, harrier and pave low do the trick. Stick up the sentry gun high covering the main entrance and it will rack up the kills. Obviously harriers and pave lows can be got by some people very easily and they will cover the target no problem.
(Richp007)

As for defending it's pretty simple really, team of 5 have 3 defending the easier plant (usually A) and 2 the harder plant (usually B). In a team of 6 i'd probably keep with just the 2 defending the harder plant and therefore 4 on the easier. Just because the harder plants really can be hard and there's always enough time for 1 or 2 to come over from the other and help.

Claymores can be helpful, but i'd definitely go with a grenade launcher attachment or even the thumper - as soon as you see someone in the area of the plant just fire . Again air strikes on this mode can be brilliant; when attacking they'll clear out the area you attacking and when defending, but the enemy has planted and is defending it will clear them out.
(Scanz)

Defending is pretty much the same, split the team in two and communicate a lot. If there are 10 seconds left on a bomb and it is surrounded by enemies just leave it and get in a good position around the last objective.
(The Bass)

Domination

There are three flags that can continuously be captured by each team. If you hold one flag you get 1 point every 5 seconds, 2points every 5seconds for 2 flags & finally 3 points every 5 seconds for ‘dominating'/holding three flags. The first team to 200 points wins the match.

Players with quick maths skills can calculate how many flags are needed to pull back a losing score in time, or maintain a relatively substantial lead up until 200 points limit is reached.

ALWAYS make sure there are at least a couple of people capturing the nearest flag point at the start of the game. Don't ASSUME.

Make sure at least 1 person stays behind and hides somewhere to 'defend' that first flag

Plant a claymore near a flag

Plant C4 near a flag and when you hear 'We are losing 'A'' then detonate the C4

If you are losing, you NEED to go on the offensive and help capture a flag. Co-ordinate with the team and choose a flag to grab. Ideally, there will be men spare to defend the one flag you currently hold. If you don't hold any flags then it's all out OFFENSE.

If you have 2 flags, you don't need a third. Defend what you have. If you go for a third you are spreading yourself out too thinly and you can bet that the enemy will have that one flag pretty well defended anyway.
(Pinky Floyd)

Say for example you have flags A and B, you know the enemy will be spawning somewhere near C so you know where they will be coming from. If you have capped all the flags they could spawn anywhere.
(PRODIGY8)

Once you've got 2 flags just defend, there's no need to go and attempt to get the 3rd because if you overload the area then the enemy will begin to spawn behind you and take your flags. Not to mention that your probably rack up unnecessary deaths and may begin to spawn kill (which many find frustrating and unfair - we all hate it when it's done to us). So get 2 flags and just defend. As for kill streaks it's obvious air support is a huge plus on this mode, so have helicopters equipped.
(Scanz)

Try to capture flags as pairs, it shortens the time to cap a lot more and makes it easier to defend. Having A/B or B/C is better than having A/C as your team will be split. C4 on a flag guarantees kills.
(The Bass)

At the start of games on domination I tend to saddle up with the shield and sprint (lightweight, marathon perks) to the middle flag B (usually hardest to get), to secure it asap whilst providing covering for teamates and taking a bullet or grenade in the process for the team. This may also work for bomb plant games providing cover. Equip sheild with throwing knife to suprise the enemy.
(xWAKEYx)

Headquarters

A Headquarters site is randomly selected and can be captured by either team. There is a 30 second delay between the site of headquarters being announced (by waypoint), and it coming ‘online' (i.e. when you are able to capture it). Once the headquarters is captured, the capturing team will accrue points until it is destroyed by the opposition. Members of the team defending a captured headquarters cannot respawn until the headquarters is destroyed. Once this happens a new headquarters is selected at random and the process is repeated.

Sometimes it's best to rush to the area and hold it straight away (i'm talking about when it is listed as 'Target' and you can't yet capture it). However this can sometimes be a bad idea as the enemy will just grenade you out in time for it to be captured and you find yourself spawning miles away from it. I'd say have 2 of you do this and then the other 3/4 in the surrounding area trying to hold them off - a good example of this is on Terminal when the HQ is in Burger Town, 2 of you get in there and hide whilst the others sit around the area.

I tend to use claymores because i always rush to the HQ and try and hold it, so setting a claymore to help is great. However grenades can be brilliant for clearing out a HQ, so equip nades/semtex and/or grenade launcher. Again air strikers can be really good on this, but so can air support so try and go for a mix (air strike or harriers and then a pavelow).
(Scanz)

There are two options: capture the objective from the start by charging in there as soon as it is available or fighting outside and waiting until it is clear before capping. The best teams have a mixture of both as those that aren't as good at killing can quickly get to the HQ and start capping whilst the heavy hitters stand outside and stop people getting near until the HQ is almost captured or it is safe to go in without everyone being semtexed. Once captured it is best to spread out with 1 or 2 people leaving the HQ and flanking the enemies. Flashbangs and stuns work better than smokes for inside objectives normally.
(The Bass)

Sabotage

A centrally located bomb can be obtained by either team and planted at the enemy's bomb site (by their spawn). Opposition bomb carriers are highlighted by an overhead ‘KILL' flag (which has a slight delay). If a bomb carrier is killed or a bomb is defused, the bomb remains in that location until it is picked up by either team (it does reset if it isn't picked up, but this rarely happens). First team to successfully detonate a bomb win the game. HECTIC!

It's really important to work as a team and move around together. There's no real need to have anyone defending until the opposite team have the bomb, so stick together, get the bomb and protect the escort (player with the bomb). Once planted (which only takes about 2 seconds i think) just defend it like hell. The opposition are going to spawn right next to it, whilst if you die your going to spawn miles away, so a tactical insertion may be helpful. Have someone use claymores and set 1 up next to the plant, whilst grenade launchers will come in handy as well. If your struggling as a team to get anywhere near the objective then try marathon and lightweight and rushing it as a team, it can work.

As for kill streaks a mix is good on this, air strikes will clear them out for a few seconds, whilst a pavelow/chopper gunner will pin them back and give you time to plant/defuse. Overtime is really team death match, whilst you can get the bomb and plant as well if you like.
(Scanz)

Most people are prepared for a long game of Sabotage so ruin their day by planting and winning in the first 2 minutes . Get 2 lightweight runners to get the bomb and protect each other whilst the rest of the team advances on the bomb site. Smokes work great, both for getting the bomb and planting. If the rush fails you need to get some good offensive players in their spawn around the bomb who can defend it until the carrier gets there. Getting an AC130/CG guarantess a win if your team has the bomb.
(The Bass)

Search & Destroy

One bomb must be planted and detonated at one of two bombsites. Teams attack for 3 rounds and defend for 3 rounds. There are NO RESPAWNS. Plant & detonate the bomb or kill the entire opposition team to win the round. If the defending team defuses a planted bomb they win the round, even if there are opposition team members remaining. Scoring is best of six, so if a team reaches 4 points the game ends.

You need to be patient and careful. Try run a silent class with a silencer, cold blooded and ninja, but it's not vital. Claymores are brilliant for this mode so i'd definitely have them equipped. As for kill streaks it's difficult to get a long one going on here, so early rewards such as UAV, Predator and Harriers is what i'd go with (a predator at the start of a new round could win it for you in seconds, whilst UAV can be vital on this mode)

You only need to plant at one point, whilst when defending if you defuse it you win regardless of how many enemies are still alive. However there's no doubt that the easiest way of winning this game mode is to just kill all the enemies. If you go off and plant on your own and get killed, then the enemy is going to defuse in seconds whilst your team mates are elsewhere and your going to lose the round. It's first to 4 wins, so if you find yourself 2/3 to 0 down don't panic, you can easily bring it back.
(Scanz)

Either rush their spawn at the beginning or take it slow and steady. Set up claymores around a bomb site and then search the map for players. Get behind them and they won't know what hit them. Rushing requires lots of trial and error to learn what routes people take on each map. Smokes are a bad idea when planting as it shows you are there (unless used as a distraction while you go for the other objective. Once the bomb is planted either camp very close if you are attacking or quickly make your way to the bomb if you are defending. Once you near the site you should go as slow as time allows, not noticing the foot of a lying down attacker overlooking the objective will lose you the game. Avoid obvious routes at the very start so that you don't get spawn noobtubed from across the map.
(The Bass)

Some video guides for Search & Destroy;
http://www.nextgentactics.com/Games.aspx?Area=2&GName=Call%20of%20Duty%20Modern%20Warfare%202%20Multiplayer
(link found by safc_dan)

At the start of a round on S&D, you actually get a ten-second grace period to run away from your spawn before these kinds of killstreaks can be activated (if you try activating eg a Predator it just says something like "This killstreak is currently unavailable, try again in 8 seconds"). I've had a few of them on S&D, and it's pretty rare you get to take out the whole team, as they usually break up and go different ways.
(Kavanf1)

The other team can kill all your team, but if you've already planted the bomb prior to being killed, and they fail to defuse it in time, they still lose the round. Another cool thing to note is that in S&D (HC mode at least), your claymores don't disappear after you die, so you have the chance to get a kill or two even if you've been killed early on, provided you plant one.
(Kavanf1)

You can quickly see who is left on each team during a round by bringing up the scoreboard; anyone with dog tags next to their name is dead (this is probably incredibly obvious to most people, but i didn't know that until Bearman told me yesterday :))

Last edited:
Here are the maps with corresponding callouts for the different areas. If you call a certain area of a map by a different name, let me know and I'll add it using an AKA. Callouts go clockwise from the northernmost point, with central areas separated by a space.

Obviously few people are going to remember all the names, but I think it's realistic to remember at least A,B & C from domination after playing it a few times.

Afghanistan

Poppy Fields (B in Domination)
Shack
Small Bunker
Big Bunker
Convoy Canyon (A in Domination)
Air Defence South
Cave
Rocks
Catwalk
Air Defence West (C in Domination) AKA Sniper Cliff
Pipeline Canyon

Plane

Derail

Creek
North Woods
Train Station
Gas Station (A in domination)
Strip Mall
Garage
Water Tower
Barracks
South Woods
Power Station
Containers
Loading Dock
Warehouse (C in domination)

Offices
Train Crash
Bridge (B in domination)

Estate

Powerplant
Snowmobile Garage (B in domination)
Overlook
Boathouse
Lodge/House (A in domination – outside west, between greenhouse)
Back Woods
Greenhouse
Sports Stairs AKA Stairs to greenhouse
Workshop (C in domination)

Main Road (up hill to house)

Favela

Playground
Shacks
Fruit Shack
Laundromat (C in domination – behind by the stairs)
Laundromat Roof
Cemetary
Barber Shop
Main Street
Brick House AKA Bunker
Side Street (A in domination; near Junkyard)
Grassy Knoll
Junkyard

Crackhouse
Roof Garden
Bar (B in domination – centre of map between ice cream shop & roof garden)
Soccer Field
Grifters Green House
Ice Cream Shop

Highrise

North Offices (A in domination)
Mail Room
Store Room
Propane Shack
Propane Tank
Helipad
Fence Shack
South Offices (C in domination)
Executive Offices
Elevators
Power Centre (B in domination – just outside between it and helipad)

Red Pit
North Tunnel (to red pit)
South Tunnel (to red pit)

Invasion

U.S. Base (C in domination) AKA Embassy
General Store
Field
Sniper Apartment
Loft AKA Campers Paradise
Coffee Shop AKA Shisha Shop (with the bombed out 2nd level)
Parking Lot (A in domination)
Soda Shop AKA Roof near A
Gas Station
Bathrooms
Alcove
Convoy

Courtyard
Tank (B in domination)
Video Store
Boutique
Cafe

Quarry

Storage Facility
Industrial Road
Big Tank
Flag Tank
Loading Bay (A in domination)
Warehouse
Back Road
Car Park
Offices
Chute
Red Tanks
Garage
The Dump

Tank Garage (C in domination)
Equipment Garage AKA Digger Garage
Crane (B in domination)
Fire Escape To Tank Garage

Rundown

Store (Overlooking River)
Villa
Neighbourhood (A in domination)
Stable
Corral
Cow Field
Church
Brick House
Fruit Stand

River
North Bridge
Middle Bridge (B in domination)
South Bridge

Field
Red Shack
Cantina
Boat House
Palms
Drug Store AKA Nuke Hut
Fish Market
Tractor (C in domination)
Water Tower
Abandoned House
Gas/Petrol Station

Scrapyard

Offices (A in domination)
Warehouse
Propane Tanks
Burning Truck (C in domination)
Red Tanks
Fork Lift
South Warehouse
Parking Lot
Loading Bay (B in domination)
Crane

Tail Sections
818 AKA Split Fuselage
Blue Plane

Skidrow

Parking Lot
Loading Dock
Offices
Tunnel (A in domination)
House
Playground
Apartment (With Mounted Gun)
Laundromat (C in domination)
Back Alley
West Alley
West Lot
Containers (TI boosters paradise)

Main Hall AKA Corridor of Death (B in domination)
Roof Study
Green Room
Camera Room
Kitchen

Garage
Blue Room
Movie Store (Stairs to Corridor of Death)

Sub Base

Base Entrance
North Dock (A in domination)
East Dock
Crane
Warehouse
Warehouse Office
Tank
Fueling Station
Garage Bay (C in domination)
Garage Bay Catwalk
Dry Dock
Maintenance Yard
Control Room

Catwalk Roof
Catwalk
Loading Bay (B in domination)
Tunnel
Office
Power Station
Power Station 2nd Level AKA Server Room
Helipad Roof (leading to Warehouse Office)

Terminal

Waiting Area (C in domination)
Escalators
Lobby
Control Room
Control Room Roof AKA Gas Tank Roof
Baggage Area AKA Large Window
Tarmac (B in domination)
Plane
Plane Tunnel
Luggage Store AKA Dreams (A in domination – just outside)
Reservation Desk
Check In
Security Office
Security
Security Lobby
Midnights Bookstore
Food Court
Burger Town

Hallway

Underpass

Industrial Yard (B in domination)
Train Yard
Containers
Underpass
East Path
Building 57
Parking Lot
Storage Warehouse (C in domination)
Junkyard Path
Shanty Town
Overpass
Courtyard
House
Shelf
Chicken Shack
Village
Drainage Ditch

Trailer
Bridge (A in domination)
Pillar Catwalk

Wasteland

North Trench (A in domination)
Statue
Church
Cemetary
Gravediggers House AKA Cemetary House
Tanks
Junkyard AKA Cars
Shed
L Trench (C in domination)
Chopper
Base
School
House
Front Ward
West Trench (B in domination)
North Road

Bunker

Last edited:

KingEdward

i think the main thing on objective based games is communication (this from someone who doesn't use voice comms late at night :rotfl:)

richp007

Distinguished Member
capture the flag - first recon class is a must because you get the UMP and obviously the speed to run off with the flag.

you also need someone to 'hover' round your flag (did you like the way i avoided the word 'camp' :D), obviously to keep enemies away from it.

also travelling in pairs to get the enemy flag is good for obvious reasons of covering each other, and keeping the flag if your mate dies.

Pinky Floyd

Domination:

1. ALWAYS make sure there are at least a couple of people capturing the nearest flag point at the start of the game. Don't ASSUME.

2. Make sure at least 1 person stays behind and hides somewhere to 'defend' that first flag

3. Plant a claymore near a flag

4. Plant C4 near a flag and when you hear 'We are losing 'A'' then detonate the C4

5. If you are losing, you NEED to go on the offensive and help capture a flag. Co-ordinate with the team and choose a flag to grab. Ideally, there will be men spare to defend the one flag you currently hold. If you don't hold any flags then it's all out OFFENSE.

6. If you have 2 flags, you don't need a third. Defend what you have. If you go for a third you are spreading yourself out too thinly and you can bet that the enemy will have that one flag pretty well defended anyway.

Ummmm, all I can think of at the moment.

sdb123

Distinguished Member
To peel myself away from FFA, I've been playing a fair bit of Mosh Pit as it seems to have a good level of players and I like the 'lucky dip' approach to each game type.

Demolition and Search and Destroy are the main ones I'm not used to so would appreciate any hints & tips for those. :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've got a brief meeting this afternoon, but when i get back i'll update the first post, and put the gametype rules in. If someone could clarify the scoring system/overtime rules, that would be good, as IW don't seem to supply them?

Also looking for tips on

Approaching & Planting in demolition etc. Is it better to plant the 'hard' site first while they are distracted by both (e.g. B on Quarry or Invasion) or is it best to plant the easy site first and get the time extension?

Map specific advice at approaching objectives.

Different load outs for different players.

Who should be doing what, rather than everyone just piling in to a room only to be noobtubed

etc etc.

richp007

Distinguished Member
demolition - attacking - i think the only tactic that works in this game is all go for one bomb, and then all go for the other. splitting up rarely works in my experience. when you're there you need to smoke the place out and spread out covering all the entry points so the other team can't defuse it. had some great success with AVF'ers on this game. always go for the easy point 1st to get the time extension and build the killstreaks, then assault the hard position with everyting you've got!!

defending - such is the nature of the game, it makes no difference to the result unless you take out 'both' targets. so i find picking one to completely defend is the best course of action. (obviously if you spawn close to the other one and someone is trying to bomb it, then try and defend it yeah.)

if you're just defending one you can rack up the kills and get killstreaks in quick too. i find lower rewards for quickness are best. sentry gun, harrier and pave low do the trick. stick up the sentry gun high covering the main entrance and it will rack up the kills. obviously harriers and pave lows can be got by some people very easily and they will cover the target no problem.

(with all this talk people might get the wrong impression and think i'm actually good at the game!! :D)

Last edited:

Purple Box

Demolition - The order the bombs are placed i.e A before B and vise versa

Quarry is the one that springs to mind after last night, Position B was much harder to plant and hold than A. We did it in the end but bloody hell it was hard! So everyone to B first get that one out the way then plant the easy one at A. Think most maps must have a hard point and an easy one. Derailed, always found the one in the power plant harder to take than the one on the forecourt (cant remember which is A or B).

Also on same game type, I think it works better if 5 go to one site, say B and one decoy goes to A makes as much noise as possible (noob tube, grenade, spray and pray) splitting the defenders into two groups. Making it easier for the 5 to take the real objective.

just a thought.

Capture the flag -

As I took a royal ass kicking from you guys last night some things you did worked really well.

3 people with light weight and marathon charging in for the flag, when you all came at the same time it was imppossible to kill you all before one of you nabbed it and scarpered and then there was no chance of me catching you.

MPN had tactical insertion on and was looking after the runners when they had picked up the flag covering their escape. This worked really well as your focus was taken away from the runner and onto the guy shooting you, even if you did manage to get him a couple of seconds later he'd be back to shoot you as he knew where you were and you'd be looking for runners.

And the last two back at the flag looking for people trying to capture, this was the famous 17-nil formation that worked wonders :mad:

RASTIE

To peel myself away from FFA, I've been playing a fair bit of Mosh Pit as it seems to have a good level of players and I like the 'lucky dip' approach to each game type.

Demolition and Search and Destroy are the main ones I'm not used to so would appreciate any hints & tips for those. :)

1st real go on mosh pit last night,loved the randomness (till later on seemed to be just hd headquarters:rolleyes:) like you arn't to sure about demolition & s&d, in fact it was the 1st ever game of demolition last night & i felt a t**t to ask how to play this:facepalm:

PRODIGY8

Domination:

6. If you have 2 flags, you don't need a third. Defend what you have. If you go for a third you are spreading yourself out too thinly and you can bet that the enemy will have that one flag pretty well defended anyway.

This is a very good point!!

Say for example you have flags A and B, you know the enemy will be spawing somewhere near C so you know where they will be coming from.
If you have capped all the flags they could spawn anywhere.

Also on same game type, I think it works better if 5 go to one site, say B and one decoy goes to A makes as much noise as possible (noob tube, grenade, spray and pray) splitting the defenders into two groups. Making it easier for the 5 to take the real objective.

I agree with that mate. I dont even think the noise thing is required though. Usually you get the 5 men going to one target and the enemy team go there and a firefight breaks out. They dont know there is only 5 of you going for the one so they often concentrate all their attention on defending that target.

The amount of times we have managed to get a sneaky plant on the other target as everyone is focused on the other is quite surprising.

Capture the Flag.

One rule - Dont let Schro defend the flag...:D;)

ODP

Distinguished Member
I only really know demolition semi well, i would add to the points already said. When clock is running down, unless you have totally flanked the team, dont go charging in, carefully attack the point, get people to coordinate attacks, ie someone flanks, flashbangs nades all in in one effort

whn defending i find using an LMG works well as you can get the nutters running at you

Try your hardest to keep both points uncaptured, it gets very hard if one point is captured as the time gets to be very long

Killstreaks are devastating

Also CTF.

On Skid Row (admittedly we were playing a poor team) but the flag that is usually at A in domination.

If you can get a guy in the room above the enemy flag, defending it (sounds strange defending an enemy flag) then basically your team mates can run in and grab it whenever they want.

Once it gets carried to your flag and the point marked up you can nip down from that building and snatch it again before the other team has time to think what is going on. As they say on here...rinse and repeat.

Agree with you there dan.

Especially if you are pushing to capture the final target.

Best to wait a bit till you have the full 6 on your team all attacking at once. Flash bang, stun and grenade all at once, throw everything you have at it and that should hopefully give you the 8 seconds or so that is needed to plant.

The defending it for 40 seconds (or is the timer 30?) is usually easier than the actual planting of the bomb.

scanz

Distinguished Member
Communication, communication and communication! Oh and team work, always helps when you play with people you know/played with before :smashin:

Capture The Flag
You have to have at least 1 person defending the flag. Yesterday when we played for a bit i was happy to do this, planting a claymore on the flag and simply sitting in a spot (yes camping :smashin:) where i could clearly see the flag and/or enemies coming to get the flag.

I would also add that attempting to get the enemy flag on your own is pointless. Your be lucky to reach the flag, but to get it and escape with it is quite literally impossible on your own. Always go with at least 2 of you, so if the first carrier dies then the second can pick it up. Ideally i'd say go in as at least a 3.

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to be running marathon and lightweight, but if 2 or 3 of you run it then it definitely helps. Try have someone on your team with tactical insertion and have them plant it near the enemy flag so they can try and pin them back a bit, even if it's just to distract them so 2 or 3 others go and grab the flag. So 3 running marathon and lightweight attacking the flag, 1 defending with claymores and then 1 or 2 (depending if you have a team of 5 or 6) in the middle (between the 2 flags) and/or with TI near the enemy flag.

As for kill streaks i find air strikes particularly helpful on objective modes, so i now have the Stealth Bomber (as well as Harriers) in my kill streak rewards. As for Overtime all you need to do is touch the flag, so have 4 of you rush it and 2 defending.

Demolition
This is possibly my favourite mode, yet can be one of the most difficult and frustrating. Sometimes it can make sense to go for the most difficult plant (usually B), but then sometimes it's important to get the easiest so you simply add more time.

In terms of tactics it's difficult to come up with any as it's different for every map. Sometimes simply rushing with marathon and lightweight works, then other times it helps to be patient and slowly take over the area of the plant as the defending team will spawn near it, so if you can take control of it (i guess spawn kill...) then your on your way to a win.

As for defending it's pretty simple really, team of 5 have 3 defending the easier plant (usually A) and 2 the harder plant (usually B). In a team of 6 i'd probably keep with just the 2 defending the harder plant and therefore 4 on the easier. Just because the harder plants really can be hard and there's always enough time for 1 or 2 to come over from the other and help.

Claymores can be helpful, but i'd definitely go with a grenade launcher attachment or even the thumper - as soon as you see someone in the area of the plant just fire :devil:. Again air strikes on this mode can be brilliant; when attacking they'll clear out the area you attacking and when defending, but the enemy has planted and is defending it will clear them out.

Domination
Not much to say on Domination, i think everyone knows what to do and how to do it. Once you've got 2 flags just defend, there's no need to go and attempt to get the 3rd because if you overload the area then the enemy will begin to spawn behind you and take your flags. Not to mention that your probably rack up unnecessary deaths and may begin to spawn kill (which many find frustrating and unfair - we all hate it when it's done to us). So get 2 flags and just defend. As for kill streaks it's obvious air support is a huge plus on this mode, so have helicopters equipped.

Headquarters
Another one which can be difficult and frustrating when you come up against a decent team. Sometimes it's best to rush to the area and hold it straight away (i'm talking about when it is listed as 'Target' and you can't yet capture it). However this can sometimes be a bad idea as the enemy will just grenade you out in time for it to be captured and you find yourself spawning miles away from it. I'd say have 2 of you do this and then the other 3/4 in the surrounding area trying to hold them off - a good example of this is on Terminal when the HQ is in Burger Town, 2 of you get in there and hide whilst the others sit around the area.

I tend to use claymores because i always rush to the HQ and try and hold it, so setting a claymore to help is great. However grenades can be brilliant for clearing out a HQ, so equip nades/semtex and/or grenade launcher. Again air strikers can be really good on this, but so can air support so try and go for a mix (air strike or harriers and then a pavelow).

Sabotage
Now i really like Sabotage, but only when it's played properly. A lot of people dislike it and i can understand why when you get teams grabbing the bomb and taking it up onto a roof and just playing a 20 minute long version of team death match :thumbsdow.

It's really important to work as a team and move around together. There's no real need to have anyone defending until the opposite team have the bomb, so stick together, get the bomb and protect the escort (player with the bomb). Once planted (which only takes about 2 seconds i think) just defend it like hell. The opposition are going to spawn right next to it, whilst if you die your going to spawn miles away, so a tactical insertion may be helpful. Have someone use claymores and set 1 up next to the plant, whilst grenade launchers will come in handy as well. If your struggling as a team to get anywhere near the objective then try marathon and lightweight and rushing it as a team, it can work.

As for kill streaks a mix is good on this, air strikes will clear them out for a few seconds, whilst a pavelow/chopper gunner will pin them back and give you time to plant/defuse. Overtime is really team death match, whilst you can get the bomb and plant as well if you like.

Search & Destroy
Not my favourite mode (but could do with playing it to complete challenges) and can be rather boring at times, especially if you die early on. Yes if you die there's no re-spawning until the next round, so don't go rushing out (marathon and lightweight is a real no go here imo). Always good to have Schrogeek on your team for this one, as the heart beat sensor can be valuable :smashin:

You need to be patient and careful. Try run a silent class with a silencer, cold blooded and ninja, but it's not vital. Claymores are brilliant for this mode so i'd definitely have them equipped. As for kill streaks it's difficult to get a long one going on here, so early rewards such as UAV, Predator and Harriers is what i'd go with (a predator at the start of a new round could win it for you in seconds, whilst UAV can be vital on this mode)

You only need to plant at one point, whilst when defending if you defuse it you win regardless of how many enemies are still alive. However there's no doubt that the easiest way of winning this game mode is to just kill all the enemies. If you go off and plant on your own and get killed, then the enemy is going to defuse in seconds whilst your team mates are elsewhere and your going to lose the round. It's first to 4 wins, so if you find yourself 2/3 to 0 down don't panic, you can easily bring it back.

Hope there's some helpful points there :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RASTIE

Great post by you scanz,a real good help for a newbie like me to modes other than ffa,will try & take on board what you wrote:thumbsup:

Capture the Flag.

One rule - Dont let Schro defend the flag...:D;)

:rotfl:

I'm too busy capping theirs to worry about defending :smashin:. I'm to CTF, what Brazil are to football; if they cap a flag, i'll just make sure i capture more :D

Bowders

I would say a decent knowledge of locations on the maps so that if you get killed somewhere, the rest of the team knows the general area. For example, the playground in Favella, the embassy in Invasion or the petrol station on rundown, bunker in afghan...

I've had a few occasions where I've been shot and blurted out some random nonsense about locations. The MW2 guide has different areas named.

Updated the first post with all the tips so far. Thanks everyone for the help so far. Keep 'em coming!

Quick question; how do you detonate C4 after you have switched back to your gun? Is it double tap X?

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Find a really good camping spot near an objective and just shoot everyone that comes near.........at least that's what others seem to do

The Bass

I've never played Mosh Pit but have played all of these gametypes so I can share some strategies that I use :thumbsup:.

Use smoke grenades. They may know someone's around the bomb site but if you have a smoke down you can plant the bomb and leg it to cover before they know what's happened. Note: Toss smoke, pause for a second or two and then go. If you are confident in your abilities have a Pavelow/CG/AC130 enabled. If you can get it by defending an objective about half of your opponents will hide indoors with the rest running outside to their swift deaths whilst your team captures the objective. Especially helpful on bomb gametypes.

Capture The Flag

Marathon Lightweight dominates here. You can still kill people quickly with a UMPand once you have the flag as long as you weave in and out of cover they can't stop you. Running in pairs with one person staying 10m ahead allows you to see where the first was shot from and take out the enemy before picking the flag and carrying on.

People not keen on rushing can defend their flag but preferably from as far away as possible rather than sitting behind it so that they can help kill people mid map too.

Demolition

Split into two groups and go to both bombs. Having both planted at once is normally a win. Smokes are essential here and using a tactical insertion is a big help on larger maps so that you don't have to run all the way back after dying at an objective. Speedy runners aren't as much help here as people will often check the bomb sites at the start.

Defending is pretty much the same, split the team in two and communicate a lot. If there are 10 seconds left on a bomb and it is surrounded by enemies just leave it and get in a good position around the last objective.

Domination

Don't always feel the need to get all three flags. Holding two the whole game is a pretty reliable strategy and allows you to know that they will spawn on their flag, cap all three and they could spawn anywhere. Try to capture flags as pairs, it shortens the time to cap a lot more and makes it easier to defend. Having A/B or B/C is better than having A/C as your team will be split. C4 on a flag guarantees kills.

Headquarters

There are two options: capture the objective from the start by charging in there as soon as it is available or fighting outside and waiting until it is clear before capping. The best teams have a mixture of both as those that aren't as good at killing can quickly get to the HQ and start capping whilst the heavy hitters stand outside and stop people getting near until the HQ is almost captured or it is safe to go in without everyone being semtexed. Once captured it is best to spread out with 1 or 2 people leaving the HQ and flanking the enemies. Flashbangs and stuns work better than smokes for inside objectives normally.

Sabotage

Most people are prepared for a long game of Sabotage so ruin their day by planting and winning in the first 2 minutes :devil:. Get 2 lightweight runners to get the bomb and protect each other whilst the rest of the team advances on the bomb site. Smokes work great, both for getting the bomb and planting. If the rush fails you need to get some good offensive players in their spawn around the bomb who can defend it until the carrier gets there. Getting an AC130/CG guarantess a win if your team has the bomb.

Search & Destroy

Either rush their spawn at the beginning or take it slow and steady. Set up claymores around a bomb site and then search the map for players. Get behind them and they won't know what hit them. Rushing requires lots of trial and error to learn what routes people take on each map. Smokes are a bad idea when planting as it shows you are there (unless used as a distraction while you go for the other objective. Once the bomb is planted either camp very close if you are attacking or quickly make your way to the bomb if you are defending. Once you near the site you should go as slow as time allows, not noticing the foot of a lying down attacker overlooking the objective will lose you the game. Avoid obvious routes at the very start so that you don't get spawn noobtubed from across the map.

Well that was a longer post than I had intended to write :rolleyes:.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers