MV-960 Connection Probs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by trance.4wd, Aug 26, 2006.

1. trance.4wd

trance.4wd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just bought a very nice and compact Canon MV960. I've been trying it to connect to the computer to download the short test video I have shot but I've had no luck with it.

I tried

BOTH Firewire and USB cable

on

Camera Window

Windows Movie Maker

Adobe Premiere

On all three it doesnt detect the connection, I get err msgs like,

"Cannot Detect Camera. Check Connection to camera and then retry."

I get similar msgs on other progs. Can someone pls be kind enough to help me out with this problem?

thanks in advance :)

T4.

2. oldjohn

oldjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the MV 960 and love it to bits.

Assuming you know absolutely nothing about the camera (apologies if I'm wrong) it could be that,

the camera is not switched on and in play mode in order to to transfer the video
    the firewire cable is faulty

I'm sure others much more savvy than me on these matters will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.
    Hope this helps
    John.

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi I am quoting from an Adobe premiere elements book.Connect the 2 devices switch camera to VTR mode Windows registers the conection and small icon in the corner appears Windows may not be able to detect your camcorder if not connected with an AC adaptor to apower source. Often simply connecting the camcorder will automatically open the capture workspace if not click on the capture button top right corner.

4. trance.4wd

trance.4wd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hey John,

Thanks for your reply.

The camera is switched on and in play mode. I havent set it to Play though but I did try that option too.

The firewire cable is brand NEW. But at the same time I have also tried using the USB cable but to no avail :(

Like you said, someone else kind enough would be able to help me out a bit more but I thank you for your help mate :)

5. trance.4wd

trance.4wd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other minor observation that I've made with connecting USB cable is that it doesnt make the usual connection sound that when usb connections are made. If you know what i mean. Nor does it give you the same sound when disconnecting.

i'm just in the land of frustration at the moment, if someone can help me that would be really appreciated.

6. oldjohn

oldjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you have a SD flash memory card,pop it in the card slot,take some stills and try downloading them by the USB cable,don't attempt to transfer your DV AVI via USB,use firewire for that.

I honestly don't know what's causing your problem mate,do any of your freinds have a PC with firewire that you could try,in order to rule out a camera malfunction?

Also,did you read Jaymac's post regarding the power adaptor above?
    Have a look at your device manager window to see if your USB ports are working properly,a red cross will point to a problem.

Hope this helps
    John.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Check the firewire port in 'Device Manager'. It should be listed as 'ieee1394'. If there is a yellow circle with an '!' in it then there is a problem with the port.
    Does the PC se the camcorder when connected via firewire? As said you should get a message saying that Windows has detected a new device. If not then the chances are that you have a duff firewire cable (and hopefully not a duff cam).
    Is the firewire cable longer than 1.8m? If it is then I suggest you replace it with one no longer than 1.8m as longer cables often cause problems.
    Where is the firewire port on the PC, ie on soundcard, dedicated PCI card or on the MoBo? Firewire on soundcards can be very problematic and getting a dedicated PCI card for around £10 could help solve the problem.

I hope some of the above helps to get your video onto the PC.

Mark.

8. trance.4wd

trance.4wd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you feedback guys! A great bunch of ppl trying to help each other!

Well, after spending till midnight on the first day of trying to find out what the hell was wrong with cable/camera etc etc I decided to hit the bed in frustration.

The next morning I thought to myself, well I havent looked at the connections in the computer yet! So I opened up my brand new $2500 state of the art computer system which was 2 MONTHS old and had a look at the firewire ports and the cables.

Well, guess what??!! The ports at the top most part of the system was never connected, cables still cable tied in the box and the bottom part where the slots are, was incorrectly connected to the wrong pins on the motherboard!!!

So much frustration but at the end of the day I said to myself that one should never take things for granted cause there are always someone out there that will take a short cut to get the job done or never do it properly in the first place!

Thanks once again guys, I'm having great fun with my camera. I luv it so far.

9. oldjohn

oldjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.:thumbsup:

I hope you are going to let the morons who built the PC know about their incompetence.

John.

10. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Good for you just shows the old saying When you're up to your Ass in Alligators first drain the swamp is true
    Cheers
    Jay

11. minefield

minefield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One quick question I am also looking at the canon mv 960 what is your overall option ,Picture quallity, low light,sound, I heard some of the canons were getting sound feed back??? Graham NewZealand

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Graham,
    many (if not all) of the Canon consumer camcorder models are well reported to have problems with picking up motor noise with the built in mic. It appears to be a problem on most/all models, but not on every individual camcorder. Some people can happily live with the 'slight' (in their opinion) noise and others find it too obvious to ignore. If the cam has an external mic input then adding an external mic has been stated to get around the problem with the built in mic.

Mark.

13. david park

david park

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this only a problem of motor noise for Canon, do other makes have the problem?

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    AFAIK the pickup of motor noise is only widely known to occur on Canon consumer camcorders. It would almost certainly happen from time to time on other makes of cam, but you would need to read reviews, preferably from users rather than just pro reviewers, to see if any particular cam is known to have this problem.

Mark.