MUX .mkv files for iPad?

themighty

Is there any way of MUX .mkv files for my iPad? I heard that Yamb can do the job on a Windows computer, but every time I try I get a "regex2.dll is missing" error message. I'd love to be able to convert some of my videos to play on my iPad, and I hear MUXing them is the fastest way to do this.

peterjcat

Avidemux works fine on the Mac, there is a Windows version but I haven't used it. Just set the output to MP4, Video to "Copy" and Audio to "AAC (faac)" and Bob's your uncle.

themighty

Thanks for the help. I tried to mux the file using Avidemux, but I'm getting the error message that the video can't be played on the iPad. I set the Video to "Copy", and Audio to "AAC (flac)", and then changed the Format to MP4. I then went to File>Save>Save Video and selected where I wanted the file to save. After a few minutes a "720PMUX File" was created (.720pmux). I then tried again, this time saving the file with .mp4 at the end. This created an MP4 file, but it won't go onto my iPad. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Both files that were created worked using VLC player, but just won't go onto my iPad.

peterjcat

Well, some MKV files just won't be compatible with the iPad because they're encoded beyond the iPad's specifications; if that's the case then remuxing won't fix it, only recoding with something like Handbrake. I've found that some remuxed MP4s that won't sync via iTunes will still stream over Air Video (without further conversion) or may play from Dropbox or whatever so you could try that instead... But it does depend on how the video was encoded in the first place.

9 out of 10 720p MKVs have worked fine in Avidemux for Windows for me.

But... the trick is to copy them to Goodreader. It can play things iTunes can't, and it costs like a quid or something.

jonbags

Standard Member
Dont know if this will work for every muxed mkv but I was muxing a film and got an error in itunes saying it couldn't be played on the ipad. Popped it into the app yxPlayer and it was smooth as. Gonna give a try with a few more muxed mkvs that wouldn't play in iTunes and see what happens.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom