1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muting TV so sound comes only from amp

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stampax, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So finally got a home cinema set up - 5.1 and all that. All seems to be very nice to, with one issue. To turn off the sound of the TV so I only get sound from the speakers, my Sony TV needs to go through about 3 menus - kinda annoying. Even more annoying is that everytime the TV turns off, it resets itself, so you will have to go through these menues to turn the sound off every time I turn the TV on.

Have I just got an annoying TV? Or is this common? Or am i being stupiud and missing something obvious?
    If I get one of those expensive remote controlls, can you teach it to do a serious of controls, so one touch will do the equivalent of going through all those menues?

Cheers

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    At the risk of sounding flipant, just use the rc to turn the volume down.

3. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, I just have to turn the volume of my JVC tv down to get rid of the tv's own speaker sound. Muting button will show an annoying symbol on the screen of some tvs, not to mention the problem of resetting itself back on like yours.

Regards
    Piya

4. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go into the menu and change the volume, then choose an option like store or save that volume should then be selected by default when you power on the TV.

Rich

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could use a SCART cable with only video connections, and no audio connections, going to your TV

6. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Its the same with the 32fx68 that is to feed audio out through the tv phono you have to turn speakers off inthe menu you also have to then use the volume control to give input to your amp. Also all the tv sound settings can still influence the sound .Anyone know why Sony chose this method ?