Mute problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mule91, Jun 2, 2004.

1. mule91

mule91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a AV32R, DVD32FLR (both with latest software) and just bought a CDT20R-T2L. they are all connected through T2L. unfortunately, when I now play a DVD through the FLR the sound is muted (red light on AV32R). I believe I've set everything correctly in the menu's, including key assignments (to the best of my knowledge!).

Regarding the rear of the AV32R, The CD is connected to the digital input (phono plug) marked CD. The DVD is plugged into the digital input (phono plug) marked DVD.
    Regarding the DVD32FLR, the cable comes out of the socket marked digital output 1. Regarding the CDT20R T2L I'm using the digital phono output.

I've used True Colours Industries Adder digital interconnects which have been working fine.

i wondered anyone else had had a problem like this and help shed some light.
    thanks.

Steve.

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Steve.

Did it all work immediately before connecting up the CDT?
    Is the FLR still in the same input it was originally?
    Does it all burst into life if you press the mute button to cancel it?
    Have you connected the T2L link properly, out of the AV into the FLR then out of the FLR to the CDT. I've not connected more than one device on the T2L link myself and I have to ask why you have both the FLR and the CDT?

I'd backtrack carefully to the point where it works again, if that doesn't work then I'd stare at the AV menu settings if you altered any. As a last ditch attempt before considering repair you could give the AV the three fingered salute and do a master re-set (you will loose all your settings and will have to re-enter them).

You could do worse than ring the helpdesk guys before panicing further?

I believe that under some conditions the AV will mute to protect itself, does the AV come up with nay error code when powered up after the selftest? Double check your connections just in case, you may have pulled the cable and broken the solder connection inside the phono plug, try one that obviously works to be sure. The AV will go into mute if a signal isn't present on the selected input.

3. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Steve,

If I understand correct, this problem occurs since the CD20R is connected? Did you try a different input? Does it also happen if you have the CDplayer not connected? If this is the case, it could be the AV32R's protection system mutes because there's something wrong with the input signal/ CD20R's output.

BTW1: Which unit is connected with the sync link? Or did you relay it through the DVD32FLR?
    BTW2: why did you get the CD player, if you have the FLR? :confused: :offtopic:

Good luck!

edit: Graham, you type faster :p

4. mule91

mule91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham

thanks for reply.
    it did work immediately before connecting up the CDT and the FLR is still in the same input it was originally.

pressing the mute button has no effect, apart from it now says 'mute' at me!

i have connected the sync cables you described.

i have the CDT as well as the FLR because i like to watch images/films such koyaanisqaatsi etc while listening to alternative music.

if i unplug the CDT coax all becomes well again.

i've tried the 'three fingered salute' as you called it, but no joy.

i've been communicating with TMA helpdesk all day (via email) and they've been very helpfull.

as for your last advice, i havn't tried, but now will.

many thanks.

Teejoo

thanks also for the reply.

no, i havn't tried a different input but now i will. thanks.

as i say above, if i unplug the CDT coax all becomes well again.

the sync does relay through the FLR.

and again, i have the CDT as well as the FLR because i like to watch images/films such koyaanisqaatsi etc while listening to alternative music.

again, many thanks

Steve

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Steve,

I've just tried this permutation out and it works on my system (I used DVD32R - latest mech, CDT20R all sync linked and a AV192R). I'd suggest the following:

1. Disconnect the sync links - does it make any difference?

2. If (1) doesn't make any difference then connect the CD player one by one to the various digital inputs. See if there is a combination that works.

3. Try changing away to an analog input and then change back to DVD - does it make any difference.

4. If (2) comes up with no permutations and you're technically minded and have a storage scope then checkout what's coming out of pin 5 on IC80. If it doesn't look like spdif then chances are that IC is stuffed and is combining inputs rather than switching between them.

Good luck!

Steve

6. mule91

mule91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

Thanks for the reply. i haven't had chance to try these suggestions yet, but i will as soon as possible.
    i will, of course post what results i get.

again many thanks.

Steve.

7. mule91

mule91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i've tried taking the sync link out to no effect. i've tried a different digital input (LD) still the red light haunts me.
    then i disconnected the CDT altogether but left the cable plugged in to the AV32R. it was still muted! i went and borrowed another digital coax from a mate, and all sprung into life. there must be an fault in the cable running from CDT to AV32R. problem solved. i'm so pleased it wasn't the TAG.

i'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice. i'd also like to say how good/fast TMA helpdesk was.

cheers

Steve.

:)

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Good, we wasn't a million miles away with the duff cable idea then ;) As the AV is quite densely packed with RCA's broken wires when pulling them in and out is often found, mind you we make our own and solder them properly massively reducing the issue, examin eyour now duff cable at both ends and see if you can find the fault and naturally don't use it until you have!

10. mule91

mule91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers roversd1!

graham, good advice. but it's a brand new cable so it's going back!

regards

steve.

11. williwilliwilli

williwilliwilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all!

I am new here and signed up because I just bought an AV32R (96khz, no upgrades) second hand.

As a whole I am very pleased with the unit, both in usability and sound.

I do have one issue though similar to the one that was the cause of this thread. One of the optical inputs (dab ext) does not seem to work. With any player that I connect, also those that work on the other optical input, all I get is a mute light and no sound.

I have done a master reset and looked at the settings. Still can't get it to work.

Do you have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance,
    cheers,
    Willi

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    have you tried the other optical input with the same cable? Obvious question I know, so if you have sorry!

13. williwilliwilli

williwilliwilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, thanks for that quick answer :)

But yes, I tried that: My CD-player in one input works. If I plug it (with the same cable) into the other, it doesn't...

All the coax digital inputs work, too... :(

14. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Strange, but at least you know it's not the cable.....

Try conacting either the Helpdesk at IAG or Kevin Green at the Audiocellar to see if they can suggest anything

Hope that you get it sorted:smashin:

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    From my distant memory don't you have to turn on that input in the menu system? I had this recolection that it could be configured as the internal DAB input if the DAB module was fitted? Mind you this was a long time ago......

16. williwilliwilli

williwilliwilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your effort, guys!

I could not find any such setting which Graham had kindly suggested and when I asked the IAG helpdesk about it, I was asked to send the unit in for service :thumbsdow

I mean, I can live with a malfunction in one input. Everything else seems to do its job greatly. And considering the low price that I bought the unit for, I don't think the service is really worth it, in comparison...

Maybe I contact the seller to see if I can do something.

Cheers and thanks, again,

Willi