1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mustek / Grundig at Currys

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by statler, Feb 18, 2004.

1. statler

statler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a "fairly" basic DVD recorder to archive from Sky+.
    I've seen these 2 recorders in Currys:
    Mustek +R / +RW for £199 with DTS and progressive scan and a Grundig +R+ / +RW for £249 also with DTS and prog scan.
    They both look remarkably similar....
    Does anybody have any experience of these two machines ?

in anticipation
    Colin P

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The majority of the 'cheap' +RW machines are built to one of a number of reference designs most of which have originated from Philips at one stage or another. I would strongly suggest get neither the Grundig, Mustek, Mico or any other cheap brand, even if your sure you want the +RW format, as you will find better quality models available for more-or-less the same price online.

For £250 for example you could buy the Philips DVDR70 or Panasonic E50 - both a much better companion for Sky+ due to there RGB in. Or you even opt to spend a little bit more and get a multi-format recorder such as the JVC DMR1, Toshiba DR1 or Sony GX3. Whatever you'll only be seeing yourself off by purchasing a cheapy DVDR from the High Street.

3. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A quick look around in the AV mags. will find you a DVDR70 for around £200 now.

B.

4. statler

statler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak
    After all that you've posted elsewhere surely you're not suggesting that I buy a Phillips !!

I have no particular format preference only that I have a +/- rewriter on my PC and a Samsung standalone player which plays both + and - discs.
    It seems to me that the price of most of the current crop of recorders are being reduced as with most electro / techno things and some are being replaced shortly.
    Hell with all techno related gadgets you have to draw a line somewhere and make a purchase otherwise you can wait forever.

I just wondered whether anybody had experience of these products.
    It seems the Mustek has been available in the US for some time but slightly different spec and the European website is pants!

Incidentally is the JVC DRM1 the same as the DRM1 SLB ?
    If not, what's the diference ?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Having had a top of the range Philips DVD recorder myself I would never advise anyone to buy ANY DVD+RW recorder. However if someone really, really wants a DVD+RW machine then a Philips will be a better buy than the Grundig/Chinese cheapy models.

Despite popular opinion I'm not against the DVD+RW format - I just think anyone who has made it to this forum (which is the forum of Home Cinema Choice, What Video and other 'home cinema' type magazines) is probably not going to be that happy with a +RW machine (at least not if they've seen what is available from the competition).

I think there was a thread about the Grundig way back in October/November time. Do a search for it. I seem to remember posting an argument along the lines of "don't buy cheap crap" there as well!

6. statler

statler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczac.
    Read the earlier threads.
    I wonder what the people who bought the Grundig at that time think of it ?
    Maybe I'll hold off for a little longer......

More confusion to come no doubt !!

cheers for now

7. statler

statler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes almost forgot..

Th JVC - according to Internet Direct this model is being replaced by a new, higher spec version.
    Any ideas what the differences might be ?

Thanks again

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    As far as I know JVC is going to introducing three new DVD recorders. One will be a budget 'cut-down' version of the current recorder (without iLink), another will be a HDD/DVDR combo and the third will be a machine similar to the current DMR1.