Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mustek DvD into panny via S-VHS ....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Feersum enjinn, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DvD player is a cheap one made by Mustek, but still has S-VHS and other outputs. (picie of back similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1367126270) Works fine with phono lead but just when i use the S-VHS cable into my panny S-VHS i get no signal. I have no idea why whatsoever. I tried everything. And yes i put the panny into SVHS mode :)

Anyway any ideas? maybe only 'certain' S-VHS signal DvD players will be accepted by the panny or something - i dunno.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another obvious one, but it's got to be asked - do you have to switch the DVD player to Svideo output?

3. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also. Have you made sure the Panny is set to S-Video?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should not be the case, S-video is a common standard.

Try another S-video input to the PJ, & try the S-video output from the DVD player into a TV.

Could be the S-vid output from the player is borked.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Could also be the lead, check it for continuity and shorts?

6. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK ...
    yes i did check teh following ...

DVD is set to S-Video out
    Panny is set to S-video signal
    Wire is definite okay (I tried two now)

Hmm i dont have anything else with an S video connection in my flat lol - only scart. Ahh well - i need to get a new cheap DvD player anyway for my front room - so i will try to connect up that to the Panny.

If it does not work - then its the Panny's S-video that has the problem. I do hope its just my present DvD player out though!

Is theer such thing as a Scart to Svideo cable? then maybe i can buy a cheap one to plug my TV into the panny - at least then i will know if the panny is accepting the Svideo cable?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is such a thing, but the signal is pretty suspect, you may well find your picture B/W only, it's fairly odd how this seems to work in practice. Really you have to have RGB output, and a device to convert the signal into proper S-video. I've had fun and games with this before I discovered this forum! It's complicated on my PJ cos it will accept a composite signal via s-video if that's all that's available. Incidentally, have you tried using the composite output, just to see if it works. You might or might not see a big difference in picture, bearing in mind it's a budget player.

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - try http://www.beyondhifi.net/ , and go to Hi-Fi Leads / Adaptors , Plugs & Pins / Scart Adaptors - they do an adapter plug, but they also have scart to svideo leads for more £££. AS you've already got an SVideo cable, you should be OK with the adapter.
    Has your TV not got an svideo input on the front for running a camcorder into?

>>>>Another thought - I bet when you set the DVD to svideo output, all that means is that the SCART is sending an SVideo signal (as opposed to RGB), rather than the SVideo socket running. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if it always outputs to scart, svid and composite (phono).