Mustang Guitar Controller £50

Discussion in 'Xbox One Rocksmith' started by Big, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Big

Big

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
  2. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    hmm, tempting..

3. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Would have gone for it if I hadn't just bought a You Rock AND a Logitech...
    Cheers
    Keith

4. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    You got the Logitech yet? Website said sent few days before xmas but not arrived yet. Didn't expect it until saw website despatch.

5. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nope, just the Amazon notification. Suspect they are a small outfit and closed for christmas. Hope it arrives by the 3rd as spending New Year in wales but will have two completely free nights on return...

Also yielded to temptation and ordered the Mustang from the US, on the basis that as the rythm band craze dies down prices will go up and supply downso get in a stock now!

Cheers
    Keith

6. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Alright, 3 new guitars!!!
    Mustang is great (except legacy), and YouRock smooth for Pro.

7. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Disaster.
    Amazon promised delivery for the 5th, which didn't happen...on contacting the shipper they claim to have never been given it by Amazon, despite the Amazon and UPS web sites stating it had been shipped and was ready for delivery.
    Been on the phone to UPS for 30 mins, very angry, but no progress...waiting for response from Amazon.
    No longer available at that price from Amazon, possibly no longer shippable to UK anyway...
    :(
    Keith

8. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well Amazon.com shipped another one, despatch to delivery from the USA in less than 48 hours.
    First impressions pretty good, nicely made, much more of a toy than the YRG but being wireless and with all the XBOX buttons its much easier to use within RB3, especially for the lessons.
    Cheers
    Keith

9. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Join us on Song Of The Week thread!

10. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    And no doubt the Learning To Play For Real thread before long :)

It can only be a matter of time, we all get sucked in sooner or later once we embark on RB pro guitar :laugh:

11. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Probably the Learning To Play For Real thread before the Song Of The Week thread as currently too abysmal to consider any sort of competition!
    Playing for real is the real hidden agenda, and in truth having taken up a sequence of special offers I've spent so much it would have been possible to get a new PS3 and Rocksmith, and use one of my sons discarded Yamaha's!
    Still, I think I've got all bases covered now....
    Cheers
    Keith

12. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    Just wait until you get to the Learning to play for real thread and reading about all the great gear people keep mentioning, you'll realise there's a whole lot more money you could spend :rotfl:

If you haven't already, you could do worse than check out justinguitar.com some great beginners lessons on there and best of all completely free :)

13. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    No, we all like someone below us!!

Seriously, when it started about 5 months ago, it made me keep on and on at a song that I would never have had the patience to without it. It was like real lessons, it made you continue and have just one flaming more go to improve score each night. When you do actually achieve it, you realise how you have improved. No shame with posting scores on Easy Level, we all started this somewhere.

14. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    We certainly did start there and I remember thinking how bloody hard it was at the time, it seemed totally impossible that I'd he we be able to play anything on Medium, let alone Hard or Expert :)

You should certainly give Song of the Week a go, even if you're not competitive on a song, you can still get great tips and encouragement from the guys on their and it certainly gets you to give a song one more go, when otherwise you might be tempted to throw the Mustang out the window, because you can see you're only a couple of thousand points off bearing someone else.

15. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Afternoon fellow guitarists.

I've been "plastic" playing since GH2 and am now happily RB3'ing on Hard/Expert. I've been involved in GH and RB song of the week type threads in the past too.

I got a real acoustic for Christmas 2010 and had about 4-5 lessons but my instructor was more interested in thrashing out metal on his collection of electrics rather than teaching me how to hold the thing properly and I haven't been back since. A kind friend has been attempting to teach me when he can, but although I've sometimes got some chord patterns and strumming down I can't remember which chord is which. :blush:

Anyhow, I've recently got the Mustang as I figured this would possibly be a better way to learn for me as I took to it with enthusiasm with the 5-button.

I've tried the first lesson on easy and I must say I found it pretty difficult to get used to transcribing the fret position and picking the correct string. I guess the advice here would be the same as always, prectise, practise and practise some more?

I guess my question is this - would the general consensus be that this is a good way to learn to play for real on the acoustic? How are the later lessons? The first one was clearly individual notes and lead-guitar-ish - does it stay like that or does it get rhythm-guitar like? Or a mixture of both?

Ta for listening.

16. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    There is actually a specific Mustang thread somewhere here, probably a bit long to read right the way through it but you may find some useful tips in there.

I'd say the Mustang is a great way to start you on the road to learning to play for real. It's what I did, only difference is I've got an electric now rather than acoustic.

One piece of advice I'll give you, don't get too hung up on the lessons, learning guitar is hard enough as it is, make sure you play songs too, that's where the fun is and without the fun part, if you're anything like me, if you get bored it leads to more frustration, which leads to giving up :)

So, yes, do the lessons, but don't restrict yourself too them.

Nothing wrong with playing through the songs on Easy, we all started there. Start on the first tier songs and work your way up.

To start with you are pretty much just going to get single notes on one or two strings, that's to get you used to moving around the neck and picking individual strings. You will find you gradually get given chords to play before long :)

Do join the Song of the Week comp too, you obviously aren't going to be at the top of the table, but it's great to compare other peoples scores as a gauge to how you're progressing and inspire you to try and get a better score and offer encouragement when you feel like giving up :)

There are some really, helpful, knowledgable people here (and then there's me :)) in our little corner of the forum, do if you've got any questions, fire away, someone will be able to answer them for you.

17. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I find the button frets a little difficult on the Mustang, the YRG has wired frets much more like a real guitar (of which we have a few too :) but wireless makes up for it!
    The frets may be the biggest issue of using the Mustang to learn real?
    The lessons cover a wide range of stuff though so definitely worth it, just not the whole answer. Try justinguitar.com, seems pretty good.

The difficulty I have now is moving on to medium level songs (eg Space Oddity) which seem to have simple chords but I can't get them to play no matter what I do...Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I have written a simple PC program that display chords at a chosen rate with a metronome beat to practice against. You can feed it a string of chords to make a song. Doubtless there are better programs out there, but all seem complicated.
    Tried tuxGuitar, impressive, but too complicated for me right now.
    Happy to email a copy to anyone interested...

Cheers
    Keith

18. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    Before starting on the Mustang, I'd never picked up a real guitar in my life, so the fret buttons weren't really an issue for me, becuase I didn't know any different. If you have played any guitar before I can see how they may well be a problem, I find it very difficult to adjust going from my electric back to the Mustang now.

Yes, RB will give you good grounding and get you over the initial hard work of getting used to stretching your fingers into unnatural positions and learning chords and stuff, whilst playing slightly more fun and intertersting stuff than Kumbaya or Micahael Row the Boat Ashore:D

Certianly not the whole answer though. Justinguitar is great, or a decent teacher if you can afford one and actually find one that suits you.

As for your Space Oddity chord problem, what's happening when you try to play them? I find the Mustang can be pretty forigiving some of the time and yet others very picky. It may just be you're not playing the right strings, too many of them or not enough, or you aren't holding the fret buttons down enough, or pressing down others without realising, maybe? Could be just down to timing, a fraction early or late strumming the chord?

Have you checked the individual strings/frets in the chords you're trying to play, just to make sure that they are actually registering and you haven't got any dodgy buttons?

Try and find the lessons that include the chords you're tring to play and see if they work there.

19. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Hi Paxton,

As Goooner said, this was the thread for Mustang questions that we used to use, probably better to post learning questions in here and we will try to help.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox...-mustang-pro-guitar-play-help-part-2-a-6.html

It moved onto the Squire when most of us with RB3 bought that (except Goooner!!) but I still play the Mustang when the Squire is playing up. And it's taught me loads, used to play Electric badly 30 years ago! Wish RB3 and Mustang had been around earlier.

As to why chords are not working, best to do is Move cursor over song at initial PLAY SONG screen, then press Yellow button. Then press Practice/Train Song and then Train Song. Pick Difficulty level and move to the part of the song where the chord doesn't work. If you play it wrong , it usually stops and shows you the correct fingering. As you place fingers on, they change colour to show you where you are playing each part of the chord correctly.

PS - Be good if you join Song Of The Week on Easy or medium as it will encourage others to do so.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  20. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    I was going to get the Squier as well, but wasn't it originally scheduled for around March, then pushed back to April and finally May? Patience isn't my strong suit and I gave up waiting:D

I certainly wouldn't be playing now, if it hadn't been for the Mustang, but then I'd probably have a lot more money too :rotfl:

21. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    It's better than just shooting baddies!! Just think how many hours we must have put in in the year on Mustang, Squire and real Guitar!

And I'm only just starting on my new 5-button guitar and I can't do it well - I get frustrated and turn back to Pro mode. My pinky wont work along with middle finger for a 2finger-chord. And yet on real guitar I've finally cracked the Rush - Spirit of Radio intro on Hard that uses pinky constantly.

22. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Must be some 2nd hand soon. I will be in the queue for a spare!

23. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    Yeah, and I've loved pretty much every minute of it :smashin:

Hard to believe over a year has gone by since the arrival of the Mustang. And yet, despite my playing coming on leaps and bounds, I doubt I could play more than a couple of songs all the way through for real:laugh:

It's that damn impatience of mine, I just can't stick with learning one song for more than a little while:)

I've bought a couple more books (hadn't bought any for a while) Guitar Rock Songs for Dummies, Rock Guitar for Dummies and Rock/Pop Guitar Songs for Dummies. Only go the Rock Song one yet, but there are a few good songs in there with tips on how to play them (I know, I've got loads of those lessons on my PC that I really should go through, but I can't help myself sometimes:rotfl:) so it's my New Years Resolution to try and learn to play at least a couple of songs, all the way through, from the books by my Birthday in April.

Wembley will be upon us before we know it, so it might be useful to actually be able to play something without having a TV in front of us with all the notes coming down the screen :rotfl:

I've not played five button for months, I never used to be able to do anything higher than Medium, I just couldn't cope with moving my hand along that little bit to incorporate that 5th button:D

I did find that after playing the Mustang for a while, I could easily do Hard on 5 button and occasionally Expert depending on the song, it just doesn't do it for me anymore though, which is a shame, because there's so many good songs on the various incarnations of RB sat on my Xbox that never get played anymore :(

24. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    My resolution is to learn from your 'Spikey Haired friend' at least All Right Now. Even that seems really hard the way he plays open A chord using pinky on 5th fret!!!

Going to give those DL lessons a go while I decide what to do with fortnightly tuition.

25. keithb77

keithb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sussed it - tried SO on Phase Shift on my PC, which actually numbers the chords, SO starts with 1-3s then 0-2s but RB3 only shows them as 1-blob.
    I was trying to play 1-1
    Playing 1-3s and it works :thumbsup:

I think this is the chord numbering issue I've seen on the forum but didn't realise I'd encountered.:facepalm:
    The problem is (I'm a real console noob) I cannot for the life of me find the options setting page in RB3, I'm sure its somewhere obvious but....

BTW the Mustang works fine on the PC for Phase Shift (with the Midi adapter).

Will join the songs of week thread monday, away for the weekend.

Cheers
    Keith

26. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    Funnily enough, All Right Now is the very first song in that new book I've got so I start having a bit of a go with that, it seems to be tabbed pretty much the same as on those lessons, so between the two, that might be a good place to start, I also quite fancy learning Sunshine of Your Love, I can do the main riff on that, right up until you get barres on the 9th and 10th frets, which I can't switch to and from very quickly.

After a few minutes of All Righ Now, I remembered the reason I gave up with it before, it's that bloody stretch between 2 and 5, barring the top four strings on 2 and stretching your pinky across for the top two on 5 :D

Have you given up with the lessons for now then? I remeber you had to pay up front in blocks didn't you?

Best leave it there, as we're drifting off topic even more now, this is moving into the realms of Learning to Play for Real:D

27. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,955
    No, it's not obvious at all:)

It's a bloody pain in fact, despite the patches the game has had since release, they've never patched it so Chord Numbering is on by default or at worse at least remembers the setting you last had it on!

You need to press back or start, can't remember which and that brings up the options, scroll down the list and and somewhere down there is the option for Chord Numbering, like I said, you'll need to do it every time you start the game. I've been caught out many a time having forgotten to turn it on. I try and make sure that's the very first thing I do whenever I start the game now.

28. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Impossible to play without chord numbering ON as you move to Medium and Hard. I kept trying to play too many notes on chords whereas on easier levels they are part chords or 2-finger power chords.