MUST the laptop / PC / i-Pad be connected?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by INXS, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Dear all,

You'll see from my kit list, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and find the move to all-digital quite difficult to swallow.

However, my CD player has just give up on me after 15 years of faithful service (too many moving parts with the carousel etc.) so I've realised that NAS / streaming / whatever is the only way (now)

All I'm expecting is to have a unit that I can download ripped CDs on to, and then play through my AV amp set-up.

Seemingly, the accepted set-up is to store ripped files on a PC / laptop / tablet and have a separate box access files from it remotely.

My laptop and tablet need to be VERY mobile, often well away from the house, let alone my AV rack!

I've looked at the Pioneer N50 which looks to have a facility to play ripped files from a USB stick. Surely, there's a unit that has a hard-drive to (quickly) access music and still mess about with playlists and the like.

Pretty LCD screens, Internet radio and Bluetooth / WiFi connection would only be a bonus to be fair.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Total budget £300, by the way!

2. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    A NAS isn't the only way. You could rip all your cds to something like iTunes, then upload them to google play, 50,000 tracks for free. Then with a google cromecast audio £30, stream everything to your av amp, even using an optical lead.
    You would need good wifi and ideally unlimited data.

3. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    very helpful, thank you.

any recommendations?