1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MUST READ - DRAG & DROP TO HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KiNeL, Aug 21, 2005.

1. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :thumbsup: :D Fantastic news for all SonicStage haters, there is an alternative and guess what, it comes from Sony, it's called Vaio Music Transfer (VMT), it's Drag & Drop and it elevates the HD5 to a completely different plane of user friendliness!

And it gets better, you can install VMT to the Removeable HD portion of your HD5 in Explorer so you always have it available to suck a few songs from a mate, WITH recursive folders, unlike the Sony File Manager.

When you run VMT it just appears as a small floating window to which you simply drag a file or folder and the conversion is done on the fly. You can select the ATRAC 3 bitrate in the preferences.

I was a happy NW5 owner but now I'm an ecstatic one !

Where can you get VMT ?

http://www.vaio-link.com/Vaiopocket/downloads/downloads.asp?l=en&f=VMTU#discl

Enjoy peeps.

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It converts to ATRAC3plus though. So, good tip, but may not suit everyone...

MP3 File Manager does a similar thing, but does not convert.

3. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actually, I've just checked a transfer, and it hasn't converted my MP3 at all. So thats cool.

4. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Who cares what format it's in as long as it gets the music onto the player................?

MP3 File Manager only handles single folders which severely limits it for my needs nor can you delete with it which again VMT allows.

You're probably only going to use either utility when away from home and no SS available anyway so anything is better than nothing.

If you're sucking a bunch of MP3's from a mate to listen to but also want to keep in MP3 you can always dump them in Explorer first then D&D to player with whichever programme you prefer.

Each to his own though.

5. Buzku

Buzku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am dumb. So I can drag files from my mp3-folder to player w/ enconding it to atrac? Cool. If I drag a folder inside mp3-folder will HD-5 notice that it is a singe album?

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do agree, like the app too.

7. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried this program and have to say it works pretty well! Although when I loaded one song with the same albumtitle as a completely different artist's album it seemed to automatically think it was a compilation....

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Tried VMT last night but it was very slow in comparison to MP3 manager. There are no problems deleting anything with MP3 Manager and it can certainly handle more than single folders ? I am transferring at least a dozen at a time ? It also allows you to use the HD5 as a HDD and stick others files & folders on it. Still, at least VMT represents another useful drag & drop option for the HD5.

9. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    File Manager may handle multiple single folders but it doesn't support NESTED folders, that is an artist folder with album subfolders, which is my main problem with it.

I didn't find VMT noticeably slower.

Like I said though, each to his own and whatever works for you is great. Choice is the key.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I set up my folders up by artists ie The Beatles and within that I have all their albums as sub-folders. Using MP3 manager I only need transfer the one folder and it transfers everything within there. Also where you have The Greatest Hits of something for example and their are 2 or more sub CD folders it also transfers all of them.

What it does not like on occasions is if you have art covers and playlists within many sub-folders, that may give you problems. even then on single folders it will limit transfer only to MP3's and nothing else.

11. Buzku

Buzku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    E: Nothing.

12. shOOta

shOOta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the difference between VMT and Mp3 file manager?

Thanks