1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must have been asked before...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by UselessPratt, May 18, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so my AV manual says to refer to my speaker documentation for setup of the speakers, and the speaker manual says to refer to the AV manual. Pile of doo doo's.
    I think an all small system plus sub is a good guess. This seems to be how the system was designed to work. Not that it says, you understand. BUT what foxes me is what do you set the sub crossover to? The AV manual says nothing, and the speaker manual say adjust it so you get a flat response. Oh! Thats easy then. I just plug in my frequency generator and use my SPL to set it (not). Damn, if only I had all those things. The damn sub is variable too ( I guess you whack this up to full and use the AV amp to control the crossover instead? Which is better? ) How is it possible to set the delays too? I mean I suppose I could work it out at 300m/s, but is it really necessary?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I presume that as you haven't bothered to state either what speakers or AV Receiver you are using that I am about to get more messages asking whether this is a wind up.

If you want help in finetuning your system, a little more information and a little less flowery prose would be the first step.

3. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    80 Hz, all speakers small, crossover set to max on the sub, don't set delays on speakers, stand in the centre of the room, never touch the controls again.

Sorted.

Happy UselessPratt.

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian, problem is that last time I posted my AV amp, seems no one else has one, so I have to be general. Anyway, I suppose many settings also depend on room and seating. I was kinda wondering if there was a way of doing it - other than just messing about with the knobs.

That''ll do noodle - HappyPratt.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Except I'd say it's not too difficult to set the delays - especially as UP already knows 300m/s. Measure the distance from where you sit to each speaker, enter 1ms for every 30cm (or 1ft). Fin.

Cheers,
    Liam