Muslims, Schooling, Equality and bigotry.

Sonic67

Banned
Both from the last few days.

'Boys eat lunch first' at faith school

Girls at an Islamic faith school have to wait for boys to finish their lunch until they can have theirs, a Parliamentary committee has heard.

The committee was hearing about practices at Birmingham's Al-Hijrah school, which was found to be unlawfully segregating its students in 2017.

A recent inspection found the school was still separating pupils.

Parents protest over LGBT rights teaching

Primary school parents have been protesting over their children being taught about LGBT rights and homophobia.

Some parents at Parkfield Community School in Birmingham claim the teachings contradict the Islamic faith.

Mariam Ahmed, whose daughter attends the school, has organised a petition against the "No Outsiders" project.

The school said it aimed to educate children so they were able to accept differences in society.

Ms Ahmed said: "Sorry at this age it's totally wrong. Children at this age don't even know if they are coming or going, let alone knowing what sexual orientation they will become."

Asma and Mohammed Jdaitawi added: "It's good to teach children about respect and values but the sexual orientation aspect is against our principles."

Opinion: If Muslims are defended against bigotry, the LGBT+ community must be too

"Muslim parents, you can't have it both ways – if we’re defended against bigotry, so must the LGBT+ community"

Part of being in the UK is about accepting equality. Equality over Islamophobia and equality between the sexes or sexuality.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
That's the tip of the iceberg.

The Govt can't tackle most of that without tackling what's going on at Catholic schools and Jewish schools. So they're not tackling it.

IronGiant

I remember going to a Hindi Wedding where they didn't quite know what to do with Mrs IG. If I remember correctly she was asked whether she wanted to join the women in the kitchens (where they were in full party mood) or join me and eat first. She chose the latter.

That's the tip of the iceberg.

The Govt can't tackle most of that without tackling what's going on at Catholic schools and Jewish schools. So they're not tackling it.
To add to the conversation it may be useful to describe what you think that is going on at those schools in general that you think makes that relevant to this story.

I’ve only got experience with four different schools that are voluntary aided and catholic but none of them have shied away from this topic, nor discussions about other faiths.

rustybin

Distinguished Member

rustybin

Distinguished Member

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Are these private schools or state?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
State!!! Or at the very least partly funded by the state.

Incredible but, not surprising.

Checking out now as my views here would be right of centre and therefore too extreme for many lol.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Incredible but, not surprising.

Checking out now as my views here would be right of centre and therefore too extreme for many lol.
If your school takes money from the state, it should follow the rules of the state. An even playing field for all concerned.

If you want to set up your own private school, it should still follow the laws of the state. No exceptions.

About time this was acknowledged in ALL schools that discriminate.
Way past time in fact.
Whilst I totally agree that discrimination is totally out of order. I do take a report by the National Secular Society against faith orientated schools with a dose of skeptism as well.

What shouldn’t be forgotten is the this thread started on the basis of parents petitioning that the school shouldn’t be teaching this. A different perspective then what it is being directed in.

Discrimination is never ok, but not promoting isn’t the same as discriminating in my opinion. Nor is parents attempting to interfere with the teachings with the school which is the issue highlighted here.

If your school takes money from the state, it should follow the rules of the state. An even playing field for all concerned.

If you want to set up your own private school, it should still follow the laws of the state. No exceptions.
And if they break the rules set by the state then they should be pulled up on that. However if the state allows that leeway then they should be allowed until the rules are changed democratically.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Whilst I totally agree that discrimination is totally out of order. I do take a report by the National Secular Society against faith orientated schools with a dose of skeptism as well.

What shouldn’t be forgotten is the this thread started on the basis of parents petitioning that the school shouldn’t be teaching this. A different perspective then what it is being directed in.

Discrimination is never ok, but not promoting isn’t the same as discriminating in my opinion. Nor is parents attempting to interfere with the teachings with the school which is the issue highlighted here.
As a rule (not directed at you personally), people will criticise these Muslim schools whilst defending Catholic and / or Jewish ones for doing something that is pretty much identical. Strange.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
And if they break the rules set by the state then they should be pulled up on that. However if the state allows that leeway then they should be allowed until the rules are changed democratically.
Exactly. And we're seeing Muslim schools being pulled up for segregation, when it's been common practice for decades in some Jewish schools. As I say, strange.

Exactly. And we're seeing Muslim schools being pulled up for segregation, when it's been common practice for decades in some Jewish schools. As I say, strange.
A totally alien concept to me. Those schools and parent would have a heart attack at my schools; we had mixed dressing rooms for the gym lessons in our school ;)

Sometimes it seems we are going back in time.

logiciel

Why "teach" about marriage or partnerships at all?

Why "teach" about marriage or partnerships at all?
Relationships in all forms, shapes and sizes are very important to aid interaction.

In my opinion having an understanding and appreciation of different views, customs, habits etc enriches society and perhaps even allow us to learn to celebrate our differences opposed to judge and denounce them or worse.

Open and honest education about all is the key to progression in my opinion.

logiciel

Still am!
Why should teachers know better about these things than anyone else?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett