1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musings on resolutions . . or just a load of babble.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kolabere, Apr 10, 2005.

1. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I hope that this is a suitable forum to air these thoughts. Apologies if not.

I have been sitting watching my new set-up [Elonex Artisan, Toshiba 27WL46 and TEAC PowerMax2000] for a few days now and trying vainly to get all the picture on the screen.

I am quite comfortable with the notion that programs are braodcast in different formats and have no problem when watching 'ordinary' tele switching between 4:3, 14:9, 16:9 formats, etc., with their concomitant black bars (indeed we had the Toshiba alone for several weeks before the Artisan arrived). But, now that I watch tele from the Artisan, and despite the Toshiba always having a full picture, I have noticed a large amount of 'lost' image - where has it all gone? As an example: captions on the news, sports and documentaries are not viewable or during the intro to Coronation Street we have no "Street" :eek: !

Let me muse a little - I believe that the Toshiba has a native resolution of 1280x720 (16:9) and the Artisan a default resolution of 1024x768 (4:3 or 12:9). The output from the Artisan is zoomed by 1.25 (16/12=1.25), the 1024 horizontal axis is increased to match the 1280 of the screen, but to retain the original ratio (4:3) from the Artisan the 768 vertical axis increases to 960. The 'new' 1280x960 image renders over 10% of the top and bottom of the picture outside the 1280x720 viewing area of the screen.

Have I got this right?

If yes. How do I resolve this issue and bring back the 'black bars'?

If not. What is going on.

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    As I understand it MCE does not send Auto switching info to displays there is a button on the MCE remote to change them you have to do this manually

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I may have missed the point here, I thought the Elonex Artisan is a PC with an ATI graphics card - why not change the resolution to 1280 x 720 to match your display? You may still get black bars when watching 4:3 progs but you can use zoom to get rid of them if you prefer.

lisa

4. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I still seem to have this problem with the res set at 1260x720, but at this res, graphics outside MCE break up and are therefore almost unreadable - makes navigating very difficult. Once in MCE I can't workout how to change it.

I'd love to have some black bars back, but they don't seem to exist when viewing MCE.

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I don't understand what you mean by graphics breaking up? If you mean that it is hard to navigate windows you need to customise it to enable large fonts and make it all more readable on your display.

When viewing video in MCE press the i button and you can scroll through 3 different zoom settings.

6. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the response :thumbsup: .
    I had a look at the remote and reckoned that you meant the i button - thanks lisag for confirming that.
    Although, I will need a little more time to be convinced that this is the solution.

I should more accurately say characters. The best description that I can think of is text from an old typewriter when the ribbon has run out!

Next, I need to get a little colour in everybody's cheeks - they all look like they're at the morticians.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hmm, I know what you mean, sounds like you haven't achieved 1:1 pixel mapping. Although I thought with an LCD panel at 1280 x 720 native it should be simple, just set the graphics card res at 1280 x 720 and it should be there..... unless it is to do with refresh rates, have you tried different ones. Does the manual for your panel offer any advice on this?

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    kolabere: can you confirm your desktop resolution is set to 1280x720? Is that the setting which your Display Properties is saying? Are you sure the LCD panel is 1280x720 native?

If both those are true then you should be getting 1:1 mapping, ie. each pixel on the desktop would occupy exactly 1 pixel in the display .. your description of text being unreadable seems to me to be saying the LCD is rescaling the input because it doesn't think it's the same resolution as its' own panel.

A few digital displays are known to post-process the signal even though it supposedly matches the native resolution, I didn't think the Tosh is one but I can't swear to it.

BTW, what type of connection are you running, VGA/DVI/S-Video?

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    this toshiba is a WXGA (1280x720) Resolution so it seems like others have pointed out your not getting 1:1 pixel mapping by the description. with the latest drivers it should be very easy to get 1280x720 from your pc to your toshiba.

10. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for these replies, I'll try to answer your questions collectively.

(1) I am connected by VGA.
    (Tosh fails to address the DVI port, which rather invalidates all the study and input from KraGorn to help me understand and connect via DVI :( ).

(2) Tosh manual is very poor on PC connections - 1 para for DVI, 2 for VGA: no troubleshooting or configuration details. Basically, just says that you can.

(3) Toshoiba website gives 1280x720 native resolution. I can confirm a desktop resolution of 1280x720?

(4) Refresh rate is 60Hz. I can try others, but I didn't think that was necessary with an LCD.

(5) I will check the driver situation.

PS. KraGorn the sound is brilliant :thumbsup: .

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    what refresh rates/res did you try over DVI ?

12. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As low as 640x480 @ 60Hz and upto 1360x768 (I don't think I can select 1366, nor lower frequencies)

13. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There seems to be some confusion about this model's 'native resolution', along with a host of confusion about why Toshiba seem incapable of resolving problems with this model :mad: .

I now have a desktop resolution of 1024x768. I still get program images outside the screen, but also get some programs with black bars on the sides and top/bottom. I still don't seem to be able to isolate why.

If the problem with the DVI port is removed (I'm still waiting for Toshiba to proffer an answer) is this likely to resolve the image issue?

SEVERAL OF YOU HAVE mentioned the i button, where 'Zoom' provides 3 settings but no explaination as to the formats. Does anyone know what they are?
    Has anyone got this LCD working "properly"? It would be reassuring to hear how :lease: .

14. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    1 is WS, another is 4:3 and the last is Zoom