Question MusicCast (on Yamaha R-N602) - disable certain streaming services?

edjj

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Yesterday I bought a Yamaha R-N602 and am chuffed to bits with it. I will need to upgrade the current speakers (Mordaunt Short Avant 902) but that is not for right now...

What I would like to do is disable the streaming services that I don't use such as Napster, Juke, Tidal, etc etc - they just make scrolling through the NET inputs take longer. I've gone through all of the options and settings and can't find it. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Not sure if you can, but simplest thing to do is download the Musiccast App to your phone and use that to select Spotify (assuming that's your streaming service of choice.)

Nice system, had one til recently and will probably end up with another when I decorate a room later this year.

Yep I've downloaded the MusicCast app - you can remove inputs/services you're not using but it only removes them from the app... annoyingly. I don't want a bunch of services forced on me...

I think the amp is amazing, such an upgrade from what I had before. Love that it does literally everything I want it to, particularly as I wasn't expecting Bluetooth in/out and Airplay from a system like this which is a great bonus when people come round.

Trying to look at speakers to pair it with but my head just implodes each time I start researching. So, so, so many choices.

"annoyingly. I don't want a bunch of services forced on me..." - Get what you're saying although you don't have to use them, but you have to scroll past them as such, which is what I did, using sources, phono, cd, internet radio and spotify.

I wonder if there is a why you can arrange the scroll in preference of inputs ?

I’m not an expert on speaker's but usual rules apply, i.e. budget, room size etc ?

PS - These were just displayed on an advert on the res of the page.

Last edited:
I can confirm that you can't change anything on the amp's display/UI.

You can rename, reorder and hide inputs on the app but those changes are for the app only.
For example, rename "Optical 1" to "My PC" on the app but it will still show as "Optical 1" on the amp.
Hide Napster on the app and it'll still be there when you use the jog wheel (or NET button on the remote) to scroll through inputs.

That plus not displaying Spotify track names are my only two real complaints, had one since launch and still think it's a great all-rounder.

Thanks for the responses guys and @robotron for confirming. Really glad that you are also pleased with it!

@Ascotbilly you're right, you do simply have to scroll past them and it's not big issue - just not perfect!

Regarding the speakers, when you say "normal rules apply" that is what is confusing me, the myriad of rules!! I think I've got the basics nailed (W/ohms/sensitivity) but it's the nuances that get me.

Pic of the room below - excuse the messiness, there are three of us living/working/exercising here...

room.PNG

The speakers are/will be on either side of the tv. Distance from the tv to the sofa is only about 2.5m but the room itself is clearly a fair bit bigger. Ideal budget can stretch to say ~ £500, so a fair bit more than the Bronze 2 if it's worth it. I also don't plan on being here for longer than a few years so I don't want to buy the speakers just for this room, if that makes sense. I want them to be capable of a bigger room (if I move somewhere bigger!).

I'd want them to be adept at general use ie music and TV. I mostly listen to electronic music so decent bass response is a must but I really appreciate highs (as weird as that sounds) and I hate muddy sounding speakers so basically a good full range is important.

I've read loads of reviews and as I mentioned it just becomes overwhelming. A few times I have found a pair that seem great but the review mentions that "careful pairing is required" and my balloon gets deflated... because how do you do that!!

Another thing I'm concerned about is having a capable amp (which I think this is) and then pairing it with underwhelming speakers.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated... I'm new to this forum so if there's somewhere else I should be posting that you think would be able to get some more opinions please let me know.

Thanks very much. Ed

Morning Ed, Nice room !
Suggest a separate thread in the speakers section "Speakers for RN602" or similar. You may want to state if a floor standing / bookshelf preference otherwise you'll get loads of suggestions.
Also based on "bang for your buck" a lot of lads may suggest 2nd hand so if you want new only, state that.
FYI - I demoed the B&W 606 & 607's with my Yamaha both sounded great.

Awesome thanks very much for the tips. Those two suggestions look great, hadn't come across them in my searches so far! Will check out that other section. Cheers :smashin:

OK never mind... I'm going with the B&W 607s. They get superb write-ups everywhere! I think exactly what I'm looking for and can't wait to try them. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

Nice choice though I’m a little biased 🤔
Seriously though I did a fair few demo’s took advice from here and listened to my own ears.
Could’ve spent a lot more money than I did but really couldn’t hear/justify the differences.
Enjoy and let us know how you get on !!

Nice choice though I’m a little biased 🤔
Seriously though I did a fair few demo’s took advice from here and listened to my own ears.
Could’ve spent a lot more money than I did but really couldn’t hear/justify the differences.
Enjoy and let us know how you get on !!

Thank you so much for the advice, they arrived on Monday (bloody fast delivery from Richer Sounds I reckon, given then I ordered them quite late on bank hol Friday) and I am so pleased with them already. The highs are pretty prominent but i expect they'll settle down in due course (as per almost all reviews) and the range at the bottom end is amazing, so much better than what i was both expecting and used to.

And for £400 new I reckon they're a great deal for such a name and quality. I'm surprised sound this promising comes from such a small box - they're a lot shallower than the M&S Avant 902s I was using before but a much fuller sound.

So yeah, thanks again, you've made someone very happy in lockdown - and two totally ambivalent brothers/flatmates!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom