MUSICCAST BAR 40 WHICH SUBWOOFER

joysleep1

Hi Peeps

So i ordered a MUSICCAST BAR 40 soundbar which i will be getting in a few days and it comes with the

Yamaha MusicCast SUB 100. I wanted what you guys think of this particular SUB, how good is it compared to others. I do plan to use the whole set up with surround sound speakers and i was planning on connecting it via ethernet. Also, it doesn't not have to be wireless because its going to sit very close to the soundbar​

My question is how do i know what compatible SUB will work. In the manual it just says there "an external subwoofer equipped with built in amplifier can be connected to the unit via RCA mono cable

I have seen so many different types of sub with loads of connections so which one is compatible with this soundbar?

Please note, this SUB will only be used for TV watching (football, movies etc). NO music used with this system

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any self powered Sub with a Line Input will work with the Soundbar.

BK Electronics are a firm favourite for folk with a conventional AVR+Speaker system and should be high on your shopping list too.

The entry level Gemin11 is a great option if your room is not huge.

Joe

pr1uk

I have the Bar 40 and 2 x 20 surround speakers, the Sub I use is the wood veneer Rel 205 and it works for me. The beauty of the Bar40 over the Bar400 is you can add a nice wood veneer Sub and not get stuck with a dust gathering black plastic one.

joysleep1

Any self powered Sub with a Line Input will work with the Soundbar.

BK Electronics are a firm favourite for folk with a conventional AVR+Speaker system and should be high on your shopping list too.

The entry level Gemin11 is a great option if your room is not huge.

Joe

Hi

Thanks for your reply. But still does not make sense because it says mono cable and all the subwoofers have two connections to insert (even more, when i see the back of all these subwoofers theres loads of connections i dont even understand). The manual just says an RCA mono output can be used. Also, the room it will be used in is very big so what kind of power do i need to provide good base?

pr1uk

You just connect to the Bar 40 with a RCA lead forget the others they are for a different setup

joysleep1

I have the Bar 40 and 2 x 20 surround speakers, the Sub I use is the wood veneer Rel 205 and it works for me. The beauty of the Bar40 over the Bar400 is you can add a nice wood veneer Sub and not get stuck with a dust gathering black plastic one.

Also, by using your own SUB, does that mean it all has to be controlled manually, the volume, base etc have to changed by hand at the SUB because its not all connected together or the same brand as such?

joysleep1

LOL i cant even find that model online. Send me a link. It sounds super expensive.

pr1uk

The REL 205 is an old model and was only around £500 new, I got it secondhand and did not pay the earth for it. There are loads of good wood veneer Subs around the only thing I found was new the good ones can be costly so I opted for secondhand from eBay

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
@joysleep - active Subs will usually have two RCA Inputs marked L+R, they will also have one of those RCA inputs marked as LFE.

If you were using the Sub with a Stereo (HiFi) Amp you would use the L+R RCA sockets.

When you are using the Sub with an AVR or Soundbar which has a decicated Sub (LFE) output you use the single RCA on the Sub marked LFE.

Some Subs also have 'high level' speaker connectors where you can connect the Front LR loudspeakers to the Sub - though that tends to be something only a few manufacturers such as REL offer.

If you are looking at 'Subs' which are part of a Sub/Sat system you will see Front LR, Surround LR and event Atmos speaker connections on the Sub, avoid those units they are not a good match for your (any) Soundbar.

Mosts Subs will have a master Volume control plus a Crossover control - once you set the Master Volume on the Sub you then use the Soundbar volume control which adjusts the Soundbar output (including the LFE feed to the Sub) so everything goes up and down together.

Joe

joysleep1

@joysleep - active Subs will usually have two RCA Inputs marked L+R, they will also have one of those RCA inputs marked as LFE.

If you were using the Sub with a Stereo (HiFi) Amp you would use the L+R RCA sockets.

When you are using the Sub with an AVR or Soundbar which has a decicated Sub (LFE) output you use the single RCA on the Sub marked LFE.

Some Subs also have 'high level' speaker connectors where you can connect the Front LR loudspeakers to the Sub - though that tends to be something only a few manufacturers such as REL offer.

If you are looking at 'Subs' which are part of a Sub/Sat system you will see Front LR, Surround LR and event Atmos speaker connections on the Sub, avoid those units they are not a good match for your (any) Soundbar.

Mosts Subs will have a master Volume control plus a Crossover control - once you set the Master Volume on the Sub you then use the Soundbar volume control which adjusts the Soundbar output (including the LFE feed to the Sub) so everything goes up and down together.

Joe

Right now that makes sense. I am looking for the LFE. So if the SUB does not have this LFE port, then it means its not compatible right?

Also, any good SUBs that are way better than the musicbarr 100. I am talking about yamaha ones or ones that are not more than 200 pounds. I see SUBWOOFERS that are like 500-600 pounds. Crazy prices man.

joysleep1

Joe

OK so now i have a questions. Picture below is a sub showing the ASW608.
This one has no single port for an RCA? This means it wont work with a soundbar?

1639586779688.png

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are we going through every pic of a Sub on the web :)

The majority of manufacturers will use the L Input as the Mono LFE Input on a Sub when you are not connecting it to the L+R Output of a Stereo Amp.

Joe

joysleep1

The majority of manufacturers will use the L Input as the Mono LFE Input on a Sub when you are not connecting it to the L+R Output of a Stereo Amp.

Joe
So in other words if there is one port saying LFE then use that. If there is a LINE in showing R and L. LFE is always on the L (left)?

joysleep1

Joe
Sorry to bombard you with this but its not really clear how to use them and which soundbars are compatible. Thanks for your input

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
NO - always check the Manual of the Sub. The 'norm' is the L Input for a mono LFE signal, but there is no 'rule' so someone may use the R.

Joe

joysleep1

NO - always check the Manual of the Sub. The 'norm' is the L Input for a mono LFE signal, but there is no 'rule' so someone may use the R.

Joe
Ok fair enough. But the point is, if they have a LINE in with L and R. It will still work with one of them right?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any Soundbar with a Sub (LFE) Output is compatible with pretty much every active Sub on the market - assuming you are not looking at a 'Sub' which is intended to be part of a 'system' where the Sub also powers the Satellite Speakers and has the Sources connected to it too.

If you are able to spend around £250 and want to go 'New' the BK Electronics Gemini11 is a great option.

If you want to go second hand there are a huge number of Subs you could use - look at the Classifieds here on AVF - Speaker, Subwoofer & Soundbar Classifieds

Joe

PS £500 is not a lot for a sub if you want 'real' bass :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Ok fair enough. But the point is, if they have a LINE in with L and R. It will still work with one of them right?' - Yes.

Though occasionally some Sub manufacturers will suggest you use a short Y-adapter cable and put the mono signal into both the L + R Inputs (RTFM :)).

Joe

joysleep1

Ok now i know more about SUBS and understand that a lot of them would be compatible with my MUSIC bar 40. I want to think about selling the MUSICast sub 100 subwoofer and getting an external wired SUB which would be way better. Even if its a marginal improvement i will take it esp for TV and movie watching.
Now the key is, i dont want to spend more than 200 pounds. I know that if i want an excellent top of the range SUB i have to spend 500 pounds plus but thats too much for me.
Now the room dimensions are a standard 5m by 5m box. I have seen a few SUBS on amazon for reasonable prices, question is are these def better then the SUB 100 or not.

examples include

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

or anyone else know a SUB within that price range that would def be better than the SUB 100?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The BK Electronics Gemini11 is the best value you will find - New (£250) or second hand (around £160).

Assuming you want new/choice of finish If you can stretch the budget you will not regret it.

Joe

joysleep1

The BK Electronics Gemini11 is the best value you will find - New (£250) or second hand (around £160).

Assuming you want new/choice of finish If you can stretch the budget you will not regret it.

Joe
Hmm yh. Looks a bit funny. And only one website selling it so it seems strange.
Will look into it. Was hoping to get it from somewhere more well known like amazon or richer sounds.

Anyone have any of the ones i posted? Any reviews ?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'And only one website selling it so it seems strange' Oh boy!

BK Electronics is a 'factory direct' manufacturer/supplier - the concept being you are not adding a margin for Mr Richer Sounds or Mr Amazon to the manufactured cost so in terms of value for money it is a brilliant proposition.

Obviously if you wish to pay money to a middle man+Amazon or Richer Sounds you should look at what they have to offer :)

Joe

PS You can order BK kit via Amazon UK!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification