MusicCast 20 vs. 50 as rear surrounds

RobertQ

Standard Member
Hi,

I already have 2x KEF Q550 speakers and would like to use them to build 5.1 system. The idea is:

- 2x KEF Q550 as front speakers
- Sony AG9 77” as a center speaker
- KEF Kube 12b as sub with KEF KWI wireless adapter
- 2x MusicCast 20 or 50 as rear surrounds
- Yamaha RX-A6A

I want the rear surrounds to be wireless and this set up is supported by the rx-a6a. However, given the other speakers would you recommend MusicCast 20 or 50 (and why?)? Or perhaps some other speakers with wireless transceivers?

The tv area is about 4m x 5m.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As you are going to be using Yamaha's technology you will have to stay with Yamaha's products to get it to work

Regarding which one's to pair, this will depend upon how and where your material is going from. If it's Blu-ray, then I'd say the MusicCast 50 speakers whereas if its going to be streamed or standard broadcasts, then the MusicCast 20 will be fine

Do note that nothing is completely wireless as you will require a mains connection for both of the MusicCast speakers, regardless of which one you select

RobertQ

Standard Member
As you are going to be using Yamaha's technology you will have to stay with Yamaha's products to get it to work

Regarding which one's to pair, this will depend upon how and where your material is going from. If it's Blu-ray, then I'd say the MusicCast 50 speakers whereas if its going to be streamed or standard broadcasts, then the MusicCast 20 will be fine

Do note that nothing is completely wireless as you will require a mains connection for both of the MusicCast speakers, regardless of which one you select
Thanks for quick reply.
it is mainly streaming but also some blu ray. What I’m not sure about is how “powerful” the rear speakers should be in relation to the front ones…

Re wireless- yes, I know - there are already power sockets nearby while putting cables for speakers is too much hassle…

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I already have 2x KEF Q550 speakers and would like to use them to build 5.1 system. The idea is:

- Yamaha RX-A6A

I want the rear surrounds to be wireless and this set up is supported by the rx-a6a. However, given the other speakers would you recommend MusicCast 20 or 50 (and why?)? Or perhaps some other speakers with wireless transceivers?

Just a heads up you don´t need to buy Kef subwoofer if you don´t want to. Most members here would advise against it as you can get better product for same price. There is lot of different wireless adapters available, cheaper also than Kef. The below model offers best bang for buck at 700£ competing with models that cost close to 1k£. Naturally you get better build quality, performance and longer 5year warranty to Kefs 2years.

I would take the REL HT/1205 over the Kef sub too as it`s another company that is specialized in building woofers. It´s on sale 599£.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Not forgetting Monitor Audio's WT-1/WR-1 which can transmit a wireless signal to any subwoofer if you have your eye on one that isn't wireless

As for the differences between the two MusicCast speakers, I'd say out of the people using the wireless speaker option, most go with the 20's for your size of room and as yet, I've not heard any complaints. So, if you are worried, I wouldn't be

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi,

- Yamaha RX-A6A

Also do notice two of those drivers in Q550 are passive radiators. These speakers doesn´t have strong bass if you are eyeing that for perhaps 2ch listening. They are very expensive vs. Q350 which would work as good for movie system for 240£ cheaper after you add speaker stands for them. However if you want floorstanders for the looks mainly then proceed, but also consider is Q750 possible - perhaps as ex-demo/ex-display (call dealers!) as you can make big savings. I have read lot of thoughts from people who has heard/compared the different Q models and it seems the Q750 is the sweet spot from floorstanders when one have at least medium size room and by the looks of your tv size i would assume that is the case.

I would advice against using the TV`s soundbar speaker as center channel. It will sound thin and lifeless compared to Kefs. You can also run 4.1 system with center channel turned off from Yamaha menu so the front mains will handle speech etc. But you will do what works best. Q250c is likely not option?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I would advice against using the TV`s soundbar speaker as center channel
Cannot agree enough, I would rather use no speaker and run in phantom mode

As for the Kef Q550 not having a strong bass, I feel they are more accurate and controlled compared to the Q350 even though they don't seem as stong due to the larger driver (which in my opinion is more important and some of this accuracy and control is because of the two ABR's in each speaker which help control the air flow inside the speaker).

But this is one of those areas you should really hear for yourself to see which one you prefer as @Gasp3621. This is because sound falls under the suggestive side of audio and ultimately can becomes everyone's enemy with daft arguments. So to that point, trust your own ears and ignore everyone else as its you you are buying the system for, not us and only you will be right when it comes to your needs and wants

RobertQ

Standard Member
Cannot agree enough, I would rather use no speaker and run in phantom m
I would advice against using the TV`s soundbar speaker as center channel. It will sound thin and lifeless compared to Kefs. You can also run 4.1 system with center channel turned off from Yamaha menu so the front mains will handle speech etc. But you will do what works best. Q250c is likely not option?

I don’t want to use a soundbar. The Sony AG9 has what they call Acoustic Surface Audio which makes its screen a pretty big speaker, especially on the 77” model. It can also act as a center speaker. See:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00201071

Help Guide | Using the TV as a centre speaker (only models with TV centre speaker mode)

Here is a review of the feature:

Review: Your Sony TV as a center speaker - Gimmick or really usable?

I want to try it and see how it works. If I don’t like it then I will try the virtual center speaker or buy another speaker. But I want to give it a try first.

RobertQ

Standard Member
I don’t want to use a soundbar. The Sony AG9 has what they call Acoustic Surface Audio which makes its screen a pretty big speaker, especially on the 77” model. It can also act as a center speaker. See:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00201071

Help Guide | Using the TV as a centre speaker (only models with TV centre speaker mode)

Here is a review of the feature:

Review: Your Sony TV as a center speaker - Gimmick or really usable?

I want to try it and see how it works. If I don’t like it then I will try the virtual center speaker or buy another speaker. But I want to give it a try first.

I've been using the Sony AG9 77" as a center speaker for the last couple of weeks and I'm actually more than happy with the results. The setup is 5.1:

- 1x Sony AG9 77" as a center speaker
- 2x MusicCast 20 as wirelesss rear surrounds
- 1x KEF KUBE 12c
- Yamaha RX-A6A AVR

You need to correct for a delay introduced by the TV and sub (connected wirelesly via KEF adapter) - YPAO took care of this with no issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom