1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Tastes

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by BK Electronics, Nov 14, 2002.

1. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Its just a thought but i'm off to see Alice Cooper Saturday, and the wife is going too. It occured to me that when I met her she was in to Elvis Presley and it seems I have heavily influenced her musical tastes as she now enjoys Alice Cooper, Metalica, White Zombie Etc. Am I alone or is this common?.

Mind you it's had one down side, she is now Bon Jovi Mad and I have been to at least 7 of his concerts and I have already booked tickets for 28th June next year

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I have found myself exposed to a few new bands/genres recently by friends and I'm enjoying it. Now have a couple of Incubus and Foo Fighters albums, but draw the line at Disturbed (despite having to sit through the DVD I bought as a present)...

Cheers,
    Liam

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I saw Bon Jovi at the NEC years ago.......most boring concert i've ever been to i'm afraid.

My musical tastes have developed over the years too (some may say they have got worse) but my Mrs has a massive collection of drivel (Whitney Houston etc etc and numerous 'collections' of soul music......but the really cheesy ones!) All of these CD's have now been relegated to the spare room and she is quite happy to listen to my current favorites like The Handsome Family, The Beta Band and the ever lasting Pink Floyd.

I only have one White Zombie album which I think is brilliant, what are the rest like? Which one is the best?

Don't tend to play my Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica much these days.......methinks i'm getting old :(

4. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny, as i`m getting older i find myself returning to my first love-metal. i drifted away for a while. i have varied musical tastes now(norah jones is one of my most played cd`s at the moment) but just can`t resist a good guitar band that don`t hold back-rammestein being my latest purchase.
    my missus tolerates rather than listens to my cds. i cant get out of the habit of turning them to quite a high volume. it`s the way its meant to be played.
    just on a side note-the band that i just hate-r.e.m. always hated them always will, bore me to tears.

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I've not been influenced by my lady but I can remember a couple of bands I got her into when we were younger (Fields of the Nephilim, Sabbat, Sepultura). We've both got things that the other can listen to happily enough, but on the whole there's very few things that we have in common - she's got her Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Roy Harper, John Martin, The Cult, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot etc and I've got my Kerovnian, Iron Halo Device, Gescom, Lustmord, Megaptera etc.

The bands we both like are ones we liked before we met each other - Pink Floyd, Ministry, Dead Kennedy's and a few more.
    We'll be checking out Hawkwind in town in a couple of weeks supported by Arthur Brown (without the "Crazy World of..." apparently) and Tim Blake (from Gong) which should be a laugh (haven't seen Hawkwind for about 7 years now). May even bring on a flashback;)

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Blimey, Someone else that was into Sabbat!

What a debut album that was! Saw them in Derby too.

Did you ever read the Brian Bates book that the second album was inspired by?

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No way could I ever be influenced by my gfs taste in music, she has around 400 of the worst cds in existence. Pretty much all 80s crud and at least 3/4 of the Now that's what I Call Music series.
    She has been 'going through them' all over the last 12 months and she is playing them all alphabetically!!:mad: :mad:

Send help now, please for the love of god!!

PS i love White Zombie as well, can't wait for Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Corpses next year

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    That Brian Bates book was called "The Way of Wyrd" or something wasn't it? I never read it, but the lyrics to the album were phenomenal, left me wondering how the hell he remembered all the words! Whatever happened to Andy Sneap and Fazer Craske? I'm not really much of a metalhead these days but Sabbat were ace supporting Man'O'War at the Brum Hummingbird along with Toranaga. I always thought Andy Sneap was a very underrated lead guitarist, his fingers were all over the place:eek:

9. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    You got it. The way of Wyrd......brilliant read and you can really see the transfer into the album too. And, I agree with you Andy Sneap was an astounding guitar player, the way he worked the strings to make that horse 'neighing' noise on the second album was brilliant......when i saw them in Derby he ballsed it up and was in stitches on the stage.

I never got the third album but it was supposed to be crap compared to the others.

This is pretty up to date!

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Dreamweaver was the last Sabbat album I got.
    Skyclad. I could never get into them.
    I'd like to see a full-on Sabbat reunion though. That'd be interesting.

It was around this period I started going for the more extreme end of the spectrum and really got big on BoltThrower, Napalm Death and all that malarky. Stage diving was fun....:p

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Napalm Death........mmmmmmmmm

I saw Suicidal Tendencies at the Irish centre in Brum, not the mental end but not bad.......MOD supported:D

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw White Zombie supporting Danzig at the Town & Country club in London, absolutely amazing night. Yet again they were another US band that made it fairly huge over there whilst being virtually ignored here.

Do any of the Sabbat fans on here remember Onslaught and/or Candlemass... or even the infamous Lawnmower Deth?

13. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    White Zombie's Super Sexy Swinging Sounds. It has load of their tracks but with a drum and bass edge. More human than human will test your sub.

As iv'e seen loads of JBJ live I find the best part the support acts, Van Halen Top Loader and Thunder amongst them.

And I must admit not listening to the Metalica so much these days, as i'm slowing down now andthe hair doesn't reach the shoulders anymore.

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Yes, yes and yes. That Lawnmower Deth "UK Apple Core" logo always used to tickle me. They did a track about Phantasm didn't they? I seem to recall it was on their watershed album where they actually started to try and be taken seriously (not that I can remember the name of it).
    Ever catch Godflesh (or any of their many incarnations - Head Of David, Techno Animal, The Sidewinder etc) live? Jeez, they knew how to do that rumbling bass arsequake thing to a tee. I saw them on the Grindcrusher tour with Napalm Death, BoltThrower, Morbid Angel etc and got literally blown away. Right out the door:eek:

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UK Apple core was pretty funny :)

I never saw Godflesh live, although did have a couple of their CDs. I was more into the guitar based sound of Prong, who aren't disimilar to Godflesh's more commercial (if that word can be applied to them) moments.

I did see Morbid Angel at the Marquee though, blimey, they may have been dorks but live, they RIPPED!!

Oh no, I'm getting back into late 80s metal mode :eek:

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Blessed are the sick........great album!

This is starting to get a bit frightening as all these bands that i remember so well are being bought up again.

Now.....Bathory What a class act they were, I had the first few albums on tape but were really bad copies (still have them in the car now:eek: ) I bought the later albums but they went a bit silly really, all that Norse God stuff didn't suit them, I preferred the out and out satanism:devil:

If anyone fancies listening to really modern 'thrash' metal, there's a new wave of Japanese bands coming to the front now and they are utterley mental, very noisy (it's known as 'noise core') and very disjointed.....great for when you are stoned cos you tend to 'understand' it a bit more :D Try Acid Mothers Temple

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to love that track 'Rapture' - good video too, for the genre.

Wasn't Bathory actually just one guy? A bit like Mortiis is now, but without the nose?

It's when someone mentions 'Venom' I'll start to worry... oops :blush:

18. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Bathory was three guys, all Norwegian I think. Absolute nutters! :D

Quarthon was the lead singer/screamer/shouter

19. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Venom? Abaddon and the boys? My brother works with a guy that used to live next door to one of them. I always thought they were awful, preferred Merciful Fayte and Celtic Frost myself. I couldn't believe MF were playing that Metallica Big Day Out at Milton Keynes Bowl along with Marilyn Manson, Sepultura, Ministry, Pitchshifter, Monster Magnet and a few others (my lady dragged me along with her. I felt old and out of place among all the kids with their Manson-a-like make up on) a few years ago.

I was pretty keen on the first wave of Death Metal stuff that came out, in fact I felt the need to buy the Spiritual Healing album by Death recently on CD just for when that nostalgic mood takes me. Chuck Schuldiner could rip out a solo, that's for sure.
    Anyone else like Switzerland's (??) Coroner?
    I caught Nocturnus supporting BoltThrower at the Marquee the night the gulf war broke out and was far from impressed with their cheesey synth chords mixed with downtuned guitars. The beggars over ran their support slot by about 40 minutes aswell, leaving BT just 50 minutes for their headline slot :mad:
    BoltThrower had so much more of a classy British grinding sound. They were ace for a while. Nice bunch too.

Prong probably played one of the best gigs I've ever seen - Beg To Differ tour at the Astoria. I almost broke my back diving during Third From The Sun. That hurt. I think I even shed a few tears after landing on my tailbone (you know the one). I've never felt pain like that before or since.

Paradise Lost were good too. Before they got popular in Europe and sold out

20. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prong, even now, are untouchable and beyond criticism. I saw them with Life of Agony at the London Astoria and it was immense.

Actually, I think I may be reliving my youth a little soon... Danzig at the Astoria later this month and Prong at The Garage in December... quality!

21. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
  22. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently this begain trailing in US theatres during mid-October, attached initially to the new James Van Der Beek (Dawson of Dawson's Creek fame) film ?!?

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha ..I can't imagine that that's their target audience!

24. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can. Zombie's far more mainstream now than he's ever been. Big part in 'The Matrix', provides theme music for a wrestler, is a God amongst all the tiny goth-boppers.

While I can appreciate all types of rock music and dance music, my favourites have to be either really hard edged rifftastic metal, or genuine, full on emo punk. In between I can take or leave. Throw in some drum & bass and trance and I'm there.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Musically, i suppose i am slightly stuck in the late 80's early 90's...(mainly).....I'm a big follower of the classic 80'S soul era...
    SOS Band, Glenn Jones, Zapp, D-Train, Loose Ends, BB&Q Band, Windjammer etc..etc.....real class melody's & vocals..

Like Drum & Bass......Optical & Ed Rush, Dillinja & Lemon D , Adam F (When he was doing D&B = Metropolis ), Andy C, Peshay, Bad Company, The early Metalheadz stuff & Blue Skin.

Electro & Rap/Hip Hop took up the ages of 14 - 20'odd..........

Finally, the majestic Pink Floyd & Mr Gilmour.

Adzman.

26. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I like NWOBHM

I hate thrash metal

Favourite bands are Def Leppard, UFO, Van Halen(DLR), Deep Purple, Dave Lee Roth, early Saxon, Gary Moore (especially Corridors of Power era), early Whitesnake, Ian Gillan Band, early Rainbow, Ozzy, Black Sabbath.

I also liked a band called Stampede

A friend was in a few 1/2 well known groups including one called Lionsheart, when he was still in local band mode (pretty good - called Idol Rich) I videoed one of their last concerts, also got their EP.

When I eventually get a home computer I'll capture the EP - unless someone can do ATRAC4.5 to MP3 for me.

http://www.angelfire.com/band/GrimReaper/interviews.htm
    http://translate.google.com/transla...2+%22nick+burr%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,962
    guns n roses, skid row, iron maiden, foo fighters, thunder, van halen, rhcp, and the gf's collection is a pathetic 12 cd's...all of which are cr@p.....

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That means she has Now Thats What I Call Music 300 :eek: What's on it? Lots of futuristic disco stuff?

30. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Past girlfriends have always had radically different tastes in music to me. I've been out with a Celine Dion fan, techno fan, a pop music fan. Whereas I'm at home listening to old Metallica, Testament, Anthrax, Crowbar, Arch Enemy. I could go on but I won't.