musical receivers compared to decicated amps.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by reevesy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    hi all,
    i'm currently using a cyrus cd6s through my denon 2803 for music for the time being with the intention of improving on the amplfier side of things later...i'm toying of either going down the route of a dedicated 2 channel stereo amp to drive the fronts (kef Q4s) and keeping the 2803 for the rest or getting a better receiver.
    thing is what sort of money on the reciever side of things will compare to a 500 quid stereo amp?...i'm guessing the other side of a grand?
    so would i be right in guessing that the vast majoirty of recievers south of the £1000 mark would compare to a stereo amp of around 300 quid?

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    A modern receiver is 3 and a half stereo amps (7 channels) and a lot of expensive digital devices, with a power supply that isn't really up to the job. I'd say that a £1000 receiver is closer to a £200 stereo amp (i.e, not very good). Seems to me that the power amps are compromised in receivers, while the pre-amps can be very good, if the load on the power supply is reduced by not using the power amps.

I'd stick with the 2803, and either add a stereo power amp for the L&R channels, or use an integrated amp for the CDP, with the left and right pre-outs from the Denon connected to a spare line-in on the stereo amp.

In my setup, I currently use my DVD player for CDs, with the optical out connected to my Denon 3802. A Linn power amp drives the L&R speakers.
    I also use a Naim power amp to bi-amp the centre speaker - gives a big improvement for 5.1 and prologic sources.

On a limited budget, I reckon that using 2 power amps is better than spending the same amount on an integrated. With 2 power amps, you get better stereo and 5.1.

3. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    had thought about adding a power amp to the equation but did'nt know if it would be wasted by using the 2803 for the pre amp side of things...the cyrus power to match my cd6s would be best part of a grand new so did'nt know if i'd get more bang for my buck going down the routes i've mentioned?

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Get a secondhand power amp, and try it. If you aren't happy, sell it again, or add a stereo preamp.
    Look for something that cost £500 to £1000 when new. Any "British" power amp will give a big improvement.
    No need to go for 100watt+ units - a decent 50watter should be enough for most applications. Smaller amps tend to be a lot cheaper secondhand.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    some AV units at £1,000 can sound as good as a £400 stereo amp, some will as mentioned only sound as good as a £200 at best.....it all depends on the components inside...if a good PSU is used and the amp side of things is kept well away from the circuitry then you can end up with not a bad sound....

but to hit quality of around £700 stereo amp you need to spend £1,500-2k minimum tbh on an AV amp.....

i'd say you were best off getting a stereo integrated, seeing as the 3802 has pre-outs (it does doesnt it?)........a power amp is a good start, but to be honest the 38xx series before the 3805 had good amp stages anyhow.....its more the preamp side thats letting you down......consider something like either a Cyrus or Primare or MF amp.....if you go second hand you get a lot more for your money.....or if not, even at £700-800 you'll get a very good sound......

altho your Q4's will still be limited anyhow to what quality you will get out of them...but if you uprate to a good stereo amp now, it means you can upgrade the speakers next to something more shexy ;)

6. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    .....yep i had been eyeing up my Q4s and wondering if a bump up was worth it (....and so it starts!:rolleyes: )
    .... beings as i dont fancy changing the rest of my speaker set up i did wonder if the new Qi 5 or 7s would be a big improvement though i think my money ought to heading in an amp direction for the mo. i've just recently added the cyrus and was impressed with the jump up in cd playback so was wondering what a amp upgrade could bring to the table.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you want a proper improvement in speaker, sadly you need to be looking at a whole range or two above, not just a revamp range....the iQ's may provide a different sound, which in some ways could sound a bit better to you....but to be honest if you want a wholesale improvement then ramping up a whole range will provide it.....personally i'd say you are looking at moving up to the XQ or 7xx series if you want to stick with B&W.....the 7xx series have a very nice sound that leaves the Q's or iQ's behind very quickly.......yes its more money, but thats the way it works.....you get a lot more sound for it....rather than just buying something of a similar cost that provides a difference in sound, not more sound...

best bet is to get to a shop to demo a few speakers and see how it looks, check out other brands as well, you never know what you will find ;)