1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity X80?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Funky Bass, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've seen these knocking around and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I love the looks of them, v small and minimalist which would suit my room perfectly, but don't have a chance to audition them because nowhere local sells them (Leicester). I've just put up a cyrus 7 amp for sale because I didn't like the trebly, bass light sound. Is the X80 warm sounding, harsh, bassy? any feedback mucho appreciated

thanks

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    um, Sevenoaks have a shop in leicester and they apprently stock Musical Fidelity products......check 'em out....

i like the look of those amps too...heh....never gotten round to hearing them sadly so i cant help you on their sound......

i think most people reckon its worth going for the 150 tho over the 80...but i guess that depends on the budget limits..

3. ging32

ging32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got one of these and they sound lovely. Very warm and smooth but not sloppy. The treble is nicely rounded and the bass it well defined. Best of all it only cost me £300 new. They used to retail at £600.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    dont think you can buy them now brand new unless a shop still has one left in stock.....apparently they were a limited run, they used the same type of internals as the original X series which had the funky ovoid shape but in a smaller square fronted box........i might be wrong on this, cant remember where i got this from, mighta been 7oaks in swiss cottage (i dont think they would have lied to me, they good guys there), however you can still get the phono and headphone stages i think in that style.....

im considering their A3.5 tho to power my GR10's, will be demoing it up against some Arcam, Roskan and Primare alternatives soonish.....have heard the 3.5 already on these speakers and it sounds very nice, a little less bright than another amp i heard at the time which is good as the GR10's are towards the bright side, especially in my room, however the 3.5 is a grand...lol

edit: they are still listed on MF's website and a place in bournemouths website has them listed, but as they are in shop purchase only you dont know if they have them or the sites just not updated properly.......so might be worth checking out ;-)

5. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What speakers do you have? MF doesn't sound great with all speakers.

6. ging32

ging32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a pair of B&W 602 S3's with my X-80. The guy in the shop recommended them for the size of my room more than anything and said they worked well with the MF kit. I've no complaints though and they put out plenty of bass.

7. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, had an A100 paired with Tannoy DC2000 speakers and appreciated the rich "class A" sound for 12 years or so until the amp died on the operating table at MF (was a £250+ repair job with no real guarantee so it is mothballed in the loft with a wiring diagram in the same box - I think)....
    Anyway if there are no X80s around and you crave a new amp with a similar sound then you could demo the Marantz PM7200, had one for a couple of years now and leaving it in class A with tone defeat "on" is almost as good as the trusty Musical Fidelity, albeit not quite so good at keeping the chinese takeaway warm ... and I kind of miss the whine of the cooling fan ... :)