Musical Fidelity X-P200 versus P270/A370

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dublin78, Mar 16, 2006.

1. dublin78

dublin78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I am trying to decide which power amp will give me the best results.
    I have a Musical Fidelity X-RAY v3 and an X-80 integrated amp that I am using with Kef Reference 104/2s.
    I am buying an X-PRE v3 and I am considering what power amp to marry it with. The X-P200 and the P270 are obviously very different amps, though both well respected. Which will give the best overall result?
    Thanks in adavnce.
    Michael

2. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I run a bank of P170s with some more exotic stuff on the main channel and would love to heat my room with 4xA370s - go for it. Some of the older MF stuff offers great opportunity, sounds good and MFs constant change of product look means there are some great buys out there. I guess at the end of the day it depends what you want to pay

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    on the assumption you are looking to go cheap second hand my post might not be worth mentioning...

but if you are considering new or more recent, the current A5 amps are fantastic, yes brand new they weigh in at £1,500 (whether integrated or just power) but they give you enough power for most speakers to be happy, especially if you biamped (500watts of solid power w00t....).....and are almost neutral, they tend if anywhere towards a bassy approach but only barely, they love vocals too........

might be worth a listen, they have been seen on secondhand too for around £900 i think...

4. johnbriant

johnbriant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI there,

I have not heard the x-p200 amp but my dad runs a biamped a3.2 and i have always gone old school, moving from p150 to biamped p150s to a p270.2 and would love a 370.2.

The discussion we were having was that the build quality on the old stuff is amazing, and it makes you think everything inside is built with as much love too. It seems like the designs like the p270/a370 couldnt be economically repeated today for mass market.

What improvements in the sound technology of amplifiers have increased over last 20 years.

increased technology and decreased build quality? i dont know.

my view is buy what you think sounds best!

Dad likes his new ones i like my old!

john