1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical fidelity stereo to HT

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stoatman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi,

Have currently got a Musical Fidelity X-a1 and a pair of X-A50 monoblocs. My question is, what would be the best way to acheive 5.1 sound. Would it be just to buy a processor. Would i be able to use all the amps, or could i just use the monoblocs to power the L & R channels. I am very much after muical performance as well as acceptable movie use.

thanks

2. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    How about this

1) Would i be able to buy a processor (Yamaha dsp E-800) and use the monoblocs for Front duties, and the yamaha for the rest..

or

Would i acheive better performance buying a newer integrated AV amplifier and using the pre-outs to connect the monoblocs. Again to power the fronts ?

3. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use a Musical Fidelity a3.2 with a Yamaha E800. I have my cd player and front stereo speakers connected to the MF. The Yamaha front pre-outs connected to the aux2 on the MF. When watching movies I have the sound balanced with the MF volume control at 50%.

This way, music uses the hi-fi preamp rather than the Yamahas for better sound quality. However I am just ordered a Yamaha 2500 so will be selling the E800 soon.

Hope this helps.

4. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for the reply, does the way your set up work mean that there is no sub output when listening in stereo ?. Also i have always wondered how you get the volume control on the integrated amp (powering the fronts) to match the surround speakers, powered by the processor. ?

5. Supernatural

Supernatural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I used to have an X-A1.

Re sound levels - you would use a sound pressure meter to work out the volume level required on the X-A1 to match the centre and rears. Then use this volume when using the processor - normal volume when listening to music.

Nothing more sophisticated. Won't be as seamless as a full 5.1+ solution but you get the advantage of keeping your decent music replay.

Paul

6. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The sub doesn't work in stereo in my setup because it is connected to the decoder. Once the volume levels are equalised you only need to remember where to set the volume knob in future.

7. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an MF A300 and a Yamaha 2500 reciever. I pre-out the Yamaha front L/R to the MF and use the Yamahas amps to run the center and rears.
    It hasnt compormised my 2 ch stereo in any way and it is stunning as an HT system.

8. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hmm. Interesting. Both you guys run integrated amps and processor/amp. I was going to use one monobloc for left and one monobloc for right. I'm guessing this would work and i wouldn't have to balance the levels. (right ??) . I'm just wondering if that would be good in stereo. Not sure what amp/processor to get. Am after a cheapish solution (dont mind second hand) <200 quid. I saw the Yamaha E-800 and thought this would be ideal but would this be good in for music. Decisions, decisions. (By the way am running galo micros, Mj acoustics sub with Toshiba SD9500E.)

9. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you intend to run the monoblocks directly from the receiver? The pre amp in just about any 'affordable' AV receiver will be leagues behind your MF.

10. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hmm. You have a point there. I was just going to use them straight from the receiver. Am a little confused at what to do as i would prefer not to use the X-A1 and add a processor. It just seems a bit too messy. Also i need to use a sub when listening in stereo so i would have to connect the DVD to the amplifier/processor. Maybe i just buy an arcam AV amp. Bit pricey though, even second hand. I also do not want to waste my musical fidelity kit which is not being used as i recently moved out of my parents, where that is. Is there any affordable processor out there that has a good pre-amp and also amplification for the centre and rear speaker ?