1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity Monoblocking & biamping query - what is the benefit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by OneDesi, Apr 11, 2005.

1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi

I have a Musical Fidelity X150 and have heard people talk about biamping, monoblocking using poweramps etc. which has intrigued/confused me :confused: .

Could somebody :lease: explain to this simpleton (that's me!) what benefit I should get going from my integrated to either of the above combinations.

Finally, does a pre-power combo (the xpre and XP200) really make a difference over the integrated :confused: .

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question :oops: - I wasn't sure where to ask it in this forum.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    gsrai – I’m thinking of getting the X150’s little brother (the X-80) and just wanted to know how your X-150 fares?

What do you have it partnered with also?

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Monblocking is definitely a good idea, with the usual caveat that correct system matching is done. In general, totally separated and dedicated amplification for each channel, from PSU to amp components, in separate boxes should remove any "crosstalk" and influences of summed, rather than discrete, power draws on the incoming PSU's, which might influence quality. Also, manufacturers of monoblocks tend to use higher quality components, and maybe more effort on design to give better reproduction, as these are invariably a step up the ladder to their product relatives. For me, the difference was night/day, but could be as much to do with the type of change as the fact that this was a pre, 2xpower all-valves system from an (MF A3) integrated.

I haven't tried biamping (but would love to) as finances and space are issues one inevitably comes up against.

My bro has X-Ray, X-series pre (older) and X-80, driving Concertina's, which sounds marvellous, but a bit stressed at higher volumes (maybe as much to do with the speakers as the amps).

And as you should be able to pick this range up pretty cheaply on ebay these days, it's certainly worth trying.

4. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Tejstar - I have the X150 with the Xray V3 and X10 V3 tube buffer. I upgraded from the old Xray and XA2 and all I can say is wow what an improvement!

The old stuff was great but the new stuff is so much more detailed and effortless (also can control both units with one remote which is really helpful!).

I've heard the X-80 gos for around £230 on ebay but I have never heard but from what the reviews say I don't think you can go wrong (unless you need a phono stage cos' the X-80 doesn't have one).

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’m thinking about getting the X-Ray V3 too, did you get a good deal on yours?

Lintone Audio and a few others (incl eBay) has these for £230 which seems a very good deal in my eyes. And I don’t need the phono stage which is even better!

What speakers are you using with them out of interest? I’m thinking of Monitor Audio GR10’s. Do you think this will ‘go’?

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The GR10s really deserve something a bit better than the X-80. I would suggest the X150 as a minimum but ideally the A5 would be a good match for the GR10s.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Drat, I had a feeling that might be the case but the reason I can’t go for anything better at the moment is a lack of funds :(

Crusty – what speaker would you recommend for the MF X-Ray V3 & X-80 combo? The other (cheaper) options I was thinking was some Castle Durham 3’s or even some ‘stop-gap’ Diamond 9.1’s? I don’t want to spend more than £800.

I’m looking for a relatively small standmount as it has to go in a bedroom.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would suggest something like Monitor Audio Silver series, we and a lot of other stores will have good deals going on Ex-Demo models as they are about to be replaced by RS series.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    How much are the S1/S2's going for?

Also what will be the rrp on the RS1?

10. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Tejstar - I sue MA Silver S6 and they are great, I have heard the GR10's and they are very impressive although I think the GR20's are better. I have heard that the New Silver RS6 (around £600 and £350 for the RS1) is as good as the GR10 so why don't you give them a whirl.

I managed to get my CD player second hand for £650 and it was mint - I'll let you know if I see any around.

I reckon you can pick up the old silver series from Sevenoaks clearance for around £400 (I tihnk they have some silver S1's for around £200 ish)

Hope that helps.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Thanks for your reply. I need some standmounts as I’m planning on putting these in a bedroom. Therefore the S1’s seemed perfect to me. Ideally, I’d like the GR10’s but they are way out of my budget and ex-dem/second-hand pairs don’t seem to come round too often! I didn’t realise the pricing had been set for the RS1’s, if they are indeed £350 then they may be a better choice!

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Bi-amping can yeild good result but it can sometimes be subtle. If possible, try before you buy

13. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237

Tejstar - apparently your PM box is full so I can't mail you anymore.

14. Playboss

Playboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

you are kidding? Do you have some experience with the RS8?

Good Day!

15. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237

Sorry, can't say I've heard the RS8's but I won't be upgrading as I love my S6's (and the missus likes 'em!) - take care.