Quantcast

Musical Fidelity MF200 :(

Mark31385

Novice Member
Hi all,

It has been some time since I have posted on this forum. Have just recently posted some MF200s to use for music when I am on the PC, using a Creative soundblaster ZX sound card. And I have to say I am disappointed with them.

They were to replace my Sony MDR-10rc's which I think are better than the MF200s now.

As soon as I show the MF200s any bass they just seem to fall apart.

Any ideas on this, would have expected the MF200s with the premium price tag to out perform the Sonys, but it is the other way around.

Mark31385

Novice Member
Would a headphone amplifier improve things? Or has anyone else any experience with the MF200s?

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
As soon as I show the MF200s any bass they just seem to fall apart.

Any ideas on this, would have expected the MF200s with the premium price tag to out perform the Sonys, but it is the other way around.
Not quite sure what your issue is? You say they fall apart when you show them some bass, if you like bass heavy music I don't think that you bought the best headphones from the small sample of reviews I have read, an example below:
http://headfonics.com/2015/04/the-mf-200-by-musical-fidelity/2/
Bass

The bass has kick and it goes low, but it’s not always present and it fails to deliver the rumble, pressure, punch or slam on the level like the afore mentioned headphones do. The bass itself can feel lightweight at times, but all the information like texture and details of pulling strings on the bass guitar are there and easily retrievable. The quickness is exceptional but can blur lightly if the amplification is not up to the task. I believe the harmonics of bass instruments are more present than the undertones, also giving mids a lot of air to breathe."

"In my opinion, the MF200 excel with Classical and Jazz music in a silent environment. Resolution and separation absolutely justify the price tag. Though I do think the MF200’s lower treble can be a bit edgy and the bass lacks rumble with Pop and Rock."

Sorry my comment isn't really helpful :blush:

Mark31385

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, that is my issue they don't have bass and think I was expecting them to have.

Was expecting them to be a big upgrade to my Sony's. Now depending on the listening I find myself swapping between them.

Think it is just annoying when a big company like Musical Fidelity or B&W make something like this and you just automatically expect them to be good. I went through three pairs of B&W c5s, because the wire always breaks next to the plug and never once did B&W think they might have an issue.

Think I have just caught this headphone bug and am already looking at a new pair. Or should I be looking towards an amp first?

Thanks for the reply, that is my issue they don't have bass and think I was expecting them to have.

Was expecting them to be a big upgrade to my Sony's. Now depending on the listening I find myself swapping between them.

Think it is just annoying when a big company like Musical Fidelity or B&W make something like this and you just automatically expect them to be good. I went through three pairs of B&W c5s, because the wire always breaks next to the plug and never once did B&W think they might have an issue.

Think I have just caught this headphone bug and am already looking at a new pair. Or should I be looking towards an amp first?
Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment, hopefully you can get the situation sorted.

I would, however, say that if you go through life 'expecting' the only thing you can reasonably expect is to often find yourself annoyed. Whenever it comes to tech (unless you wipe your botty on tenners) research rather than assumption is highly useful.

All the best.

Mark31385

Novice Member
I really do wish I could wipe my botty on tenners lol.

They are great with some music, but then if I listen to something bass heavy like the weekend-the hills (don't ask why I just like it) or something like JT tunnel vision the bass is not there.

On the other hand they sound great with some Frank Sinatra on them.

Don't think I can sort the problem just think they prefer certain styles of music, and they were an impulse buy. I tried my brothers B&W P7s before and wasn't impressed. Seen these and with my soft spot for MF had to have them.

Looking at some Grados next, for some reason I just can't consider Sennheiser, Bose or Beats.

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
Sennheiser makes some of the very best headphones so don't dismiss them out of hand! The MF's are decent, just not the right ones for your preferred sound. Do plenty of reading before you drop your next wedge. I'll read here, head-fi, headphonics, innerfidelity and plenty of others before I buy. Good luck and hope you find what you are after[emoji106]

Sennheiser makes some of the very best headphones so don't dismiss them out of hand! The MF's are decent, just not the right ones for your preferred sound. Do plenty of reading before you drop your next wedge. I'll read here, head-fi, headphonics, innerfidelity and plenty of others before I buy. Good luck and hope you find what you are after[emoji106]
+1

Mark31385

Novice Member
My music tastes varies, anything from Indie, to hip hop and everything in between. How are Grado's?

Mark31385

Novice Member
Hay any one got any tips on making the MF200 headband clamping force less? It is like having your head in a vice, and seems a common problem people complain about with them.

Top Bottom