Musical Fidelity M6 500i Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

I'm not really interested in HiFi anymore (now just AV) but I always find your reviews informative so I read them anyway. Plus I love the Maxell advert which I "think" I remember.

Nice one :)

I've got a pair of M8's and find the sound very pleasing. Oh, and I think the power draw from them is more than fair, as you can push out decent volumes without drawing more juice until you start really cranking things up.
Solid brand.

Yes effortless is a word i would wholeheartedly agree with i have the M6 PRX power amp and it drove by MA platinum well, effortlessly great build quality It has since been replaced by an ATI power amp but still commands a place in my system.

I've had a MF A3.2 integrated Amp for about 10 years and love it. Effortless power.

What I don't understand is why they put that utterly crap display on such an expensive product.

I have the M6si and love it for 2-channel music powering a pair of MA GX300's and AV with it's HT bypass. I replaced an Arcam A39 mainly because the Arcam didn't have an HT bypass but to be honest I'm glad I did now just for the extra power as I have a decent sized HC room and I really can crank up the volume without hearing any loss of quality.

I liked the warmer sound of the Arcam with many tracks though but its lack of HT bypass was a shame really. I couldn't afford the A49 at the time and got the M6si for a good discount.

I also stream Tidal Masters via an Arcam bluetooth DAC connected to the M6si which sounds amazing although I believe bluetooth isn't the best for audio quality so I'll need to find another way to do this from my android mobile phone, any suggestions let me know ;)

I also stream Tidal Masters via an Arcam bluetooth DAC connected to the M6si which sounds amazing although I believe bluetooth isn't the best for audio quality so I'll need to find another way to do this from my android mobile phone, any suggestions let me know ;)

All good streaming devices and cheap.

Teufel Connector
Yamaha wxc50
Chromecast Audio

Great review, and I love that one of my favourite manufacturers is still going.

I bought a Bryston 4B SST about a decade ago and whilst "only" being 300W RMW, it's got the same overengineered design and so easily pumps out 500W into 4 ohms, and 900W bridged.

Sounds the same as this, completely effortless no matter whats playing.

The speakers however (Epos ES25) will hammer the bass drivers voice coils against the magnets if I turn it up too much so when I want to listen *loud* I always set the controlling amp (Arcam) to work in 2.1 mode and put anything under 30Hz to the sub. (or 80Hz if *LOOUUUDDD*!)

I love the idea of this.

Just a simple, massive powerhouse, able drive anything to its limit, without the least stress.

Add extras to taste.

And the style too. A black monolith, oozing purpose.

It looks a little bit like the AVI lab series integrated. But more massive.

Last edited:
... an odd thing though, the silver version, despite an identical front plate, seems utterly different.

None of the ominous, stealth bomber overtone.

If I could afford one, I’m not sure which I’d choose.

Thank you for a great and very humorous review, also thank you for the link to the excellent advert - I remember it well.

Theres no chance of me ever owning anything like this but do enjoy reading your comments.

Thanks very interesting review, just a thought for what may become a feature/can of worms. I notice that for what is quite a considerable sum it is designed in the UK but manufactured abroad what are the trends we are seeing in the industry in these Brexit blighted times? Would we expect the production of all but the most eye wateringly expensive kit to cease in the UK (be it electronics or speakers. I ask as a someone who whilst wanting to remain is keen to support UK manufacturing going forwards wherever possible.

Good review! For what it's worth I have a much older Musical Fidelity A2 amp (late 90's) which delivers just 25 watts into 8ohms! ... and would probably melt my Mission speakers if I turned it up too much ... I can't imagine shoving 10 times (or more!!) down the pipe ... shocking!

I too notice these beasties are made in Taiwan which has been the way of most UK hi-fi manufacturers these days sadly ... happily nearly all my hi-fi gear is (or was!) UK made!

Superb review Ed - really nice to have a (refreshing) sense of humour as part of the review process. Good stuff and power to your elbow on that score!

I wonder how the M6-500 would stack up against some of the new uber amp exotica, such as the integrated amps from Hegel and especially the spendy Vitus RI101?

Would be great to see these reviewed on AVF.

i love these all out muscle amplifiers. looks wise it reminds me of the TEAC distinction AI3000.

would be nice to see an internal pic to view the topology and construction.

Great review Ed but a couple of very minor nitpicks-sorry o_O throughout the review you mention 500 watts and half a kilowatt. to a casual member this could be deceptive as it's a 1 kilowatt amp as you and most readers will know. Also a mention of the HT bypass in the main text would be good. :devil:

PS You are slowly bankrupting me, I read your great review of the Dynaudio special 40 and now have them, I now covet this amp. :eek:

Good point on the HT bypass stranger.
I had a kW500 for a few years that was just awesome.
Room changes and less time to sit and listen meant it had to go sadly.
If my experience of MF is anything to go by this will be a belter!
Top review.

Ed, your review is spot on - nice work. I have a huge poster of that Maxell ad hanging in my listening room so I had to laugh when I followed the link in the article. I have also auditioned the wonderful Concept 500 speakers with this amp in my house (based partly on your very accurate review). In the end, I ended up with some B&W 804d3's and, after returning from Axpona 2019 a couple days ago, I can comfortably say that this is a very hard combo to beat at any price for a mid-size room (BoarderPatrol SE dac as source). Keep up the good work!

I am thinking of buying the M6Si but is it worth me upgrading to the M6 500i for any reason other than the extra power. My room is 16 foot x 12 foot. According to some other reviews they sound very similar so is it worth spending the extra money on just extra power? It's going to be used mainly for 2 channel but eventually will be used for home cinema use, but that's a while off.

I doubt you NEED 500wpc, but you may covet it anyway...

The M6si will be plenty powerful enough for any consumer level speaker.

I am thinking of buying the M6Si but is it worth me upgrading to the M6 500i for any reason other than the extra power. My room is 16 foot x 12 foot. According to some other reviews they sound very similar so is it worth spending the extra money on just extra power? It's going to be used mainly for 2 channel but eventually will be used for home cinema use, but that's a while off.

That really depends on your speakers. They’d need to be mega current devourers to need the 500i in that size room.

But... power is always awesome!

A ton too much is better than a thimble to little. Having said that, the M6Si is hardly feeble.

So it depends on how happy you are to spend the extra cash. (Unless you’ve got Scintillas, then go for the beast).

Save some money and get the M6Si and have it upgraded.
I bought an M6i ( not the si) in excellent condition and had it upgraded by JSaudio, I coveted the 500 but didn't need that much power and could never afford it.

That really depends on your speakers. They’d need to be mega current devourers to need the 500i in that size room.

But... power is always awesome!

A ton too much is better than a thimble to little. Having said that, the M6Si is hardly feeble.

So it depends on how happy you are to spend the extra cash. (Unless you’ve got Scintillas, then go for the beast).
As far as speakers go I'm looking to purchase either the Focal Aria 936's, Proac DT8's or Kef R7's. Until I listen to them with the amp I can't make that decision. I know I don't need the 500 watts power as the M6si has 220 watts and that's plenty, but I'm more interested in the sound itself. I like a smooth treble and tight bass, but not too warm and woolly bass or harsh treble. Are they similar sounding or does the 500i have a more wider and upmarket sound? What do you think?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom