Musical Fidelity m3Si compatibility question

F0w3r

Novice Member
Hi Everyone!

Ive recently upgraded from an old Cambridge amp to a Musical Fidelity m3Si. After setting this up, i've noticed some headache like symptoms from extended listening and the sound doesn't quite feel right. I also have a new yamaha AV amp plugged in which also causes headaches though not as much as the MF. There are no signs of the speakers being out of phase, which I double checked with the YPAO mic plugged into the Yamaha. With my old Cambridge Azur 540a and I had no such problems with the same Speakers.

Speaker wise, the Musical Fidelity is plugged into a pair of DALI Zensor 3 speakers. From these specs does anything appear to be wrong...

Dali Zenor 3 SpeakersMusical Fidelity m3SiYamaha RX V6A
Cross Over Frequency
2,600 Hz
Recommended Amp Power
25 - 125 W
HF Driver
1 x 25mm Soft Textile Dome
LF Driver
1 x 7" Wood Fibre Cone
Enclosure Type
Bass Reflex
Magnetic Shielding
No
Frequency Response (+/-3dB)
50 - 26,500 Hz
Sensitivity ([email protected])
88.0 dB
Nominal Impedance
6 ohms
Total harmonic distortion
less than 0.014 % 20Hz to 20 kHz
Signal to noise ratio
more than 98dB ‘A’-weighted
Dimensions (HxWxD) in mm
Power Output
85 Watts per channel into 8 Oh
Inputs
4xRCA, 1xUSB (B), 1xMM Phono
Frequency Response
+0, -0.1dB, 10Hz to 20 kHz
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)
150 W (4 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)
100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

Thoughts are that the Dali Speakers ohm rating is too low, and I need to upgrade the speakers. Any other thoughts? Could my speaker cable or anything else be to blame? Could the amp be broken? There is a very low volume hum coming from the MF amp when switched on, but ive read that this is normal.

Cheers!

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Nothing is wrong per se. It will be a different signature from your old amp and your grey mush is very use to that sound. The MF will certainly have no problem in driving the speakers, if anything with a 6 ohm load the MF can push more wattage into the Dalis.

It maybe that the MF is accentuating the higher frequencies and I've always found Dali to be too forward for me personally. Changing the cable will not help, that's a myth.

Will have to ask the obvious questions, so forgive me if I'm wrong. Do have the speakers wired up correctly, red to red and black to black.

F0w3r

Novice Member
Yes - that I've checked and double checked! Thanks for the reply! Maybe you're right and I just need to train my ears. I have changed amps before both AV and Stereo, but it was never like this! What would you say would be a better speaker match for the MF?

gibbsy

I was hoping, several years ago, to audition the MF m5i with KEF speakers after hearing them in combination is the dealers showroom. Unfortunately it was just at the time the models were changing over to the new m5si and the dealer couldn't get one in time for me to audition.

Perhaps the two KEF models you should consider is the R3 and the old outgoing LS50s which are at a good price now at RS. I have auditioned these two models and the LS50s are very musical in the mids and highs perhaps lacking a little in the bass department which could easily be augmented with a good high level sub.

The R3s are a beautiful competent speaker that's capable of great soundstage and is more benign that the LS50s.

Cribbster

If, as it sounds, the MF tends towards the bright then you will need speakers that don't accentuate that. I can't remember what speakers Dali were showing off at last year's Bristol show - might well have been Opticon. I found them a tad bright and harsh. Not sure of the amp either - too long ago to remember. KEF can be a good match but I would probably avoid the LS50 as they can be very sharp with a bright or forward amp. I demo'd the m2si a little while ago with the B&W 705 S2 and a good match but still not quite enough to excite me. Couldn't put my finger on it but it wasn't harsh or fatiguing. R3s nice but to me would probably be a bit small. Are you looking at stand mount speakers or could you go for floor standers?

F0w3r

Novice Member
Thanks all, Im staying with the MF and think ive sorted things by putting socks into the speakers. The Dalis sound much better now, but I may upgrade my speakers.

A friend of mine had the ls50s with his MF m3i (without the s) and they did sound quite bright!

Im mainly looking at standmounts, any thoughts on these Triangle speakers? And their suitability with the MF.

Van300

Hi

I have the M6si with Monitor Audio Silver 500. It has detail and punch. The "issue" I have is that I keep turning it up and not realise how actually loud it is- very deceptive in a good way. No deadaches as yet so I think Gibbsy is right by saying you need time to become accustomed to the new sound signature.

With your M3si, I think it deserves better speakers. I would recommend Monitor Audio 200 floor standers as these have small footprints but if you must have standmounts then perhaps the Silver 100.

aoxomoxoa

Standard Member
Interesting suggestions. I'm considering getting an M5si, and am wondering how well it would pair with my Mission 752 floorstanders (not the Freedom version) which have a smooth mid-range and quite tight well-controlled bass but can be a bit undefined at the top.

Van300

The M5si should go well with the Mission 752 but you will want to upgrade the Mission sooner rather than later.

I bought my MA Silver 500 to go with my new Denon AV amp but thought there was a real lack of depth to the music. Bought the M6si to overcome the percieved issue by miles. Now thinking about upgrading the speakers!!! Lol. Major upgraditus.

gasolin

Thanks all, Im staying with the MF and think ive sorted things by putting socks into the speakers. The Dalis sound much better now, but I may upgrade my speakers.

A friend of mine had the ls50s with his MF m3i (without the s) and they did sound quite bright!

Im mainly looking at standmounts, any thoughts on these Triangle speakers? And their suitability with the MF.

Sharp highs and lack bass
2021-02-17 21_36_30-Window.png

Van300

But I've only had them for 25 years! The amp is 46 years old, hence the itch!
(thanks for the feedback!)
Seems like you had your upgraditus vaccine 50 years ago, lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom