Musical Fidelity M2si Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
Reaction score
I do love the MF approach.

Enough current to drive speakers well beyond the amps price is very useful as it’s the speakers (properly driven naturally) that make the biggest impact.

Therefore for a given budget better speakers are allowed and any owner need not worry about getting the best from them.

There is also no chance of it becoming obsolete as it’s simply an amplifier.

In ten years say, this MF will still be doing everything it was built to do and any new magic source can be added much more cheaply than a total upgrade.

Way to go imo.

Good review.
This is the only amp that would have tempted me to buy something other than my Rega Elex R (which, when you factor in the onboard phono stage, is probably comparable in price).
As stated above, decent partnering equipment's very good value these days. I've got a Topping D30 DAC, Schiit Magni Heresy for headphone duty and really can't think how I'd be happier for the money.

Great review, I like the approach of putting all the money into doing one thing really well.

I'm guessing this would have plenty of grunt to drive some Kef LS50 Meta?

My friend is looking at buying the meta but his current Bluesound Powernode 2 probably won't cut it.

Great review, I like the approach of putting all the money into doing one thing really well.

I'm guessing this would have plenty of grunt to drive some Kef LS50 Meta?

My friend is looking at buying the meta but his current Bluesound Powernode 2 probably won't cut it.
He confirms that he thinks it would have no problem with the LS50 in the review.

This did good at ASR "bench" too for those intrested!

index.php

Having not long had my M3si I can only comment that if this amp sounds as good as mine there will be no problems. I have paired it with MFs MX DAC and a Node 2i no complaints at all anywhere. I think it is a bit harsh saying the remote is a bit of a mess. I have seen a lot worse looking ones and as stated it does work.

Feeling pretty smug right now as I have an M2si, Ls50 Metas and a Bluesound node 2i. Lovely sounding bit of kit, drives the Metas brilliantly

Had I not had my 25 year old amp thoroughly serviced and upgraded, the MF would most definitely be top of my shopping list. Proper volume pot, direct switching; what's not to like? (rhet)

Was looking to upgrade my Brio. Would this fit the bill? KEF used MF amps when demoing the R300. No phono stage, though.

I have owned the M2si and KEF ls50s, I now have the Audiolab 6000a with the same KEFs (not meta)

I rather not accept reviews conclusion, I can just purchase things and try them out and sell them if I am not happy with them. Anyway I think both amp had good sound but features the MF is rather lacking.

With the Kefs maybe both amp need more juice to get the last drop juice out of them. So I have used them with a Sub and the Paradigm is ideal as it has EQ.

Box wise they both a nicely packaged, but the buttons and remote the Audiolab feels more refined and polished.

Published power wise the MF seam better, but in practice I didn't notice this. Maybe the Audiolab's 200VA toroidal transformer, followed by 4x15000uF reservoir capacity (60000uF in total) account for this. I don't know the spec of the MF but from the photo's it appears less.

Ultimately I intend to add some NC400 power amps driven from the Audiolab and see how they drive the KEFs.

He confirms that he thinks it would have no problem with the LS50 in the review.
Fail... this is what I get for reading while I'm supposed to be working :)

I will read it again, cheers!

Was looking to upgrade my Brio. Would this fit the bill? KEF used MF amps when demoing the R300. No phono stage, though.
I reckon it would be a close call between the MF and an Elex, just as the excellent M5i (was prior to the 's' models) would no doubt run the Elicit close. As it was the time when the models were changing from the 5i to 5si just couldn't get hold of one to audition. Shame. Who knows!

Last edited:

Sidegrade I’d think.

The Brio is no toy.

Unless your speakers have a seriously low ohm dip in the bass I’d be inclined to keep the Brio, if only to not lose money

I might be wrong but I think the M3 is just an M2 with a dac and phono stage
A a bit more wallop and a very nice phono stage. At the current price one can get it at £600 quite a bargain to my mind.

Last edited:
Really like the MF kit. Used to have the M6i and was a great amp. Quality was superb and really like the simplicity of the looks, would have preferred it to be more on display than in a cabinet.

if I was ever going back to pure stereo MF would be on my list again

I do wish MF went back to the styling of the X series they did some years ago. Had one of these back in the day. Such a well made little amp. The styling had that bit more character than the current range. It’s a fine line between understated and bland.

68B12163-6F2D-40E4-A105-F730468AA3F8.jpeg

Inclined to agree.....
Cheers Boys - read the review and started getting upgrade fever of my Brio. Cheers for helping me knock it on the head.

Mind you I’ve a total room revamp due this year, maybe it could do with a Hifi 🤣🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom