1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity A5 or A308? ***(URGENT HELP NEEDED)***

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by SugarMedia, Feb 26, 2005.

1. SugarMedia

SugarMedia
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey gang...

Could use some serious advice from those experienced with Musical Fidelity products.

I'm going to buy a Integrated Amp and CD player next week and have limited my search to MF products. The will be paired up with Martin Logan Aeon-i, which is a power hungry, 4-Ohm speaker.

For the first time, I've recently started to hear some negative things about the new A5 integrated amp and CD Player series and wondered what others think about it in comparison to the A308 integrated and A308 Cd Player.

Both are being offered at the same price.

• The A5 seems as if it may be difficult to wire on the amp? It appears bi-wiring isn't available...Any thoughts?

• Is my dealer really just trying to push the A308 on me since the A5 is replacing it? He seems to think the 308 is much better all around. Any thoughts?

• Is the A5's CD player tray really loose? I've heard when tipped up side down it will fall open. Any thoughts?

• I hear the A5 amp will distort some at 12 noon. Anyone else experience this?

• Does the CD PLayer have a bug where it needs to be turned off at times just from inserting a CD in it?

Thanks and please share your thoughts...good or bad.

Regards.

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Do a search for A5, I posted some links over in the HiFi forum a while ago. Read this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189188&page=1&pp=15

Why limit yourself to MF? Don't get me wrong I love my MF308CD/Pre/Power system but one of the best systems I have heard for sensible money was a Copland/Martin Logan one.

Gus

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Aside from your start at the forums,which has been far from ideal,in answer to some of these questions....

Who would turn a CD player upside to find out if the drawer was loose?....i can't recall ANYONE bringing this up as a potential problem with any MF player or anyone else's for that matter.

Distortion at 12 noon?.....another new one.....and it ranks alongside your last question.

Look at the gear,borrow it,try it and see how it measures up.