1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity A308cr Pre & 2 XAS-100

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bass007, Dec 21, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello, just need some advice, I have the above, I use the power amps as mono blocs. I am biwiring, hence using all the speaker outputs on both power amps.

I was wondering whether it would make a worthwhile improvement by getting rid of the power amps and getting an MF A308cr Power amp, if so would I need two of them? to biamp properly? Dose anyone have this combination

Any advice would be well recived.

Cheers

2. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    anyone

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am biwiring with a 308 power to my GR20's, biamping my centre with a 3.2. Very pleased overall with the sound I get for music and movies. The processor function of the 308 is an excellent idea, surprised it doesn't feature on more power amps.

You need 2 308's to biamp.

A demo is the best idea, take your amps to a dealer and listen to the 308, better still get a home demo. FWIW I noticed a large jump in performance going from 3.2 power to 308. I would expect the 308 to be a significant upgrade.

I am undecided whether to go to Martin Logan speakers which are single wire only, get another 308 and biamp my GR20's and or move to GR60's. Next year before I can think about an upgrade anyway.

Sorry couldn't help more

Gus

4. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ok, thanks for your reply, just wondering since there are two sets of speaker outputs per channel on the A308 are the they linked to accept bi wire cable or I am getting my wires crossed?

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The 308 takes 2 inputs via phono controlled by a front switch. In my sytem the Meridan's front l/r preouts go to 1 set, the 308 preamp's preouts to the other. This means I have a separate hifi and av system in effect.

The 308 has 2 sets of speaker outs for easy biwiring, to biamp you need 2 308 power amps.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/A308/A308CRPowerAmp

HTH

Gus

6. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where on earth are you getting 308's from, MF do not make them any more. They actually sold off the last ones they had last week, they have a few old 3.2's knocking around on special offer as MF are trying to get rid of the last few.

7. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How on earth can you listen to MF using Monitor Audio GR speakers? MF = very bright, then on the MA's. :eek:

Not my cup of tea.

8. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, Ok 337GUS,

Here is the setup, My homecinena is completley separate to my Hifi, in the same room.

I want to biamp, hence I will need 2 Powers Amps. Power Amp 1 will drive both left and right BASS channels. Power Amp 2 Will Drive Both Left and right TREBLE. All thses will be on input A.

Input B if I'm right pls confirm, I should be able to Put my Left and Right AV speakers on one Power AMP and The centre channel the other Power amp, is these correct? If so I will be pumping 450watts into my M&k's.

I assume I will need to Loop Input A so I can Biamp right?

Sorry guys just making sure before I take the plunge.

9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll get me coat :devil:

Bass007 you have PM

Gus

10. Hylton

Hylton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you posted this 3 years ago but am just amping up a 5.1 surround and was looking to add a MF3.2CR or 308 or 3CR to power the front centre and back pair. I have a KW500 for the front pair. Am now Wilson Benesch speakers all round - front L/R ACTs, Centre Square, ARC rears - not hooked up yet. How did you get on with the old MF amps and do you think they are still up to it? Rgds -