1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity A3.2 v A300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by le hutch, Aug 8, 2004.

1. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at getting one of these fine looking amps. What are the differences between these two amps? It seems that the A300 has more power (150w v 115w) but the A3.2 has nu-vista circuitry which I guess means more quality. Is it a case of finesse v brawn?

2. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Anyone?

3. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One has blue LEDs the other red ones.
    Err, but seriously I have a 3.2 and I'm very happy with it. Isn't the A300 quite a bit more expensive - would suggest it performs better? Why not just try both out and see what you think.

4. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not as easy as that as I am buying second hand. The MF website suggests that the A308 (the successor to the A300) has a 'normal' output stage and the A3.2 has a 'output stage based on NU VISTA circuitry'. This suggests to me that the A300 is a more powerful amp with less musical circuitry and the A3.2 is vice versa.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    le hutch i had a 3.2 on trial from moorgate accoustics (second hand with red led for the power button) i contacted mf re the aux2 input on rear of unit.

the amp i had on loan was an older model, the newer 3.2 have all (blue leds) and slightly differant internal changes, also was told my mf that the aux2 input is labeled ht (home theater) and you can use this in conjunction with a av amp , i was advised my mf tech to go for the later model, 2nd hand the mf i had on trial was £600 but ex dem model was approx £800 the later models. i did have a dem of denon 2803,arcam a75+ and mf3.2 (later model) with dynaudio audience floorstanders 62 arcam cd72 and prefered the mf .

later i had hometrial of 3.2 and found it has plenty of power, but found the top end seemed rather bright for my tastes (the dyns are the exact same speakers used at dem which i purchasaed as ex dem pair) so cannot say for sure if there is a obvious differance in sound between older mf 3.2 and newer mf amps, the mf has plenty of power though , if using my older mordaunt short 2 halway large standmounts with 3.2 vs 3802 2 channel only the differances were more apparent.

hope this helps

6. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have an A3.2 and I highly recommend it. I auditioned a number of different amps when i decided to go for this one, and I had a (quick though) audition to the A300 and it didn't sound better to my ears. The one thing I didn't audition and perhaps should have was the Pre+Power A3.2 combo to compare to the integrated.

I found the A3.2 less "lazy" and I really like its imaging and soundstage. It is very communicative, it shows a lot of detail and it has a certain voluptuousness to it... (which does not mean it is lumpy!!) sound is very natural, in fact, and very physical.

I would not have any problems recommending it. It is not as lush as perhaps some of the earlier MF amps, but I prefer the balance they got with this one. Perhaps with some equipment it can sound brighter than others, I use it with Sonus Faber Signums which are very very revealing and I find no harshness, just better and worse recordings really. Loves vinyl!

Hope this helps!
    Jack

7. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys thats useful info. I will be using this amp with a DV88 source (later a A324 upsampling DAC) and Monitor Audio Silver 9i fronts. These speakers can be on the bright side so I need to be careful with which amp I go for....